"Washington Federals" (Now Redskins name discussion)

DeFrank

It's not like naming a team N*ggers AT ALL. AT ALL. It'd be like naming a team the Blackskins. Offensive? Yeah. Unspeakably offensive and anywhere close to as offensive as the word N*ggers would be? No where near.

Your analogy doesn't really hold water. "Blackskin" wasn't a common racial slur used towards blacks. "Redskin" was a common racial slur used towards Indians. Therefore, Ice_Cap's comparison actually makes more sense.

The n-word is immensely more offensive. My proof? Common sense along with the question, do you think only 9% of African Americans would find a team named the N*ggers offensive? I don't think so. Therefore, his comparison is still mediocre at best.

90758391980.gif

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not like naming a team N*ggers AT ALL. AT ALL. It'd be like naming a team the Blackskins. Offensive? Yeah. Unspeakably offensive and anywhere close to as offensive as the word N*ggers would be? No where near.

Your analogy doesn't really hold water. "Blackskin" wasn't a common racial slur used towards blacks. "Redskin" was a common racial slur used towards Indians. Therefore, Ice_Cap's comparison actually makes more sense.

The n-word is immensely more offensive. My proof? Common sense along with the question, do you think only 9% of African Americans would find a team named the N*ggers offensive? I don't think so. Therefore, his comparison is still mediocre at best.

Only 9% of natives claimed they had a problem with the team using the word "redskin" as a name. I think a far greater percentage of them would feel offended if you called them a "redskin" to their face.

Also, the comparison is still apt. Both "n*gger" and "redskin" were derogatory terms used for centuries. You have yet to answer the question how one is ok for a team name while the other isn't. You're now informed that the term's nature as a slur predates the team's adoption of it as a name. So now that this point of confusion has been done away with, answer the more pressing question.

I'm sure the number would be 100%. However, Indians have arguably many more issues to worry about than African-Americans in this day and age than the name of a sports team.

Bingo. I agree 100%. In fact I even said the same thing earlier.

Only 9% of natives claimed they had a problem with the team using the word "redskin" as a name. I think a far greater percentage of them would feel offended if you called them a "redskin" to their face.

Also, the comparison is still apt. Both "n*gger" and "redskin" were derogatory terms used for centuries. You have yet to answer the question how one is ok for a team name while the other isn't. You're now informed that the term's nature as a slur predates the team's adoption of it as a name. So now that this point of confusion has been done away with, answer the more pressing question.

Ice_Cap I guess we just gotta agree to disagree. Nice healthy argument, no hard feelings.

I gotta go watch the Nationals.

90758391980.gif

I'm sure the number would be 100%. However, Indians have arguably many more issues to worry about than African-Americans in this day and age than the name of a sports team.

Bingo. I agree 100%. In fact I even said the same thing earlier.

That still doesn't change the fact that the name is offensive and ought to be changed.

But at the risk of belaboring the point, I'll also agree to disagree.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I am just kind of curious, if the term Redskin is so offensive, why don't we have to bleep out a letter like you do with the term n*gger?

Apples and oranges. Someone with a deeper sociological background could probably provide you with a more satisfactory answer.

What I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt is that both words are racial slurs. As such neither word is appropriate for a pro sports franchise in the 21st century to use.

I am just kind of curious, if the term Redskin is so offensive, why don't we have to bleep out a letter like you do with the term n*gger?

Native Americans do not have the same amount of political power in this country that African-Americans do. That's why.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Native Americans do not have the same amount of political power in this country that African-Americans do. That's why.

Also, a pro sports team using the term "redskin" has normalized the word to a majority of people. A real tragedy that such a slur could be normalized, but here we are.

Who knows? If some pro team in the 1920s used the name "N*ggers" maybe that word would be normalized and that team's fanbase would be rallying in support of it.

Probably because Native Americans for the most part keep to themselves...which doesn't justify it either. Ok, I suppose I'll be honest and stop the sarcasm for at least this comment (won't happen often :P ). Redskins is wrong, but because of how deeply it is now rooted into NFL history and a deep fanbase, the chances of it going away are slim to 0% chance.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Probably because Native Americans for the most part keep to themselves...which doesn't justify it either. Ok, I suppose I'll be honest and stop the sarcasm for at least this comment (won't happen often :P ). Redskins is wrong, but because of how deeply it is now rooted into NFL history and a deep fanbase, the chances of it going away are slim to 0% chance.

It has never really offended me because I don't think of Native Americans when someone says, "Redskins". I've always thought of the Washington Redskins. Same applies to Chief Wahoo. All I've ever seen in that logo is a happy cartoon character that a city has embraced and loves like no other.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Same applies to Chief Wahoo. All I've ever seen in that logo is a happy cartoon character that a city has embraced and loves like no other.

Let me guess - it's a Cleveland thing. Us less-enlightened yokels from other areas of the country wouldn't understand. :rolleyes:

Nah...Chief Wahoo is one of the most recognizable logos in sports. Yea, I know that doesn't justify it. I'm biased cause I think it's one of the best logos out there.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

It can simultaneously be a great logo and inexcusably racist. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Uh, I definitely disagree with that. Any chance the logo has at being great is kind of killed by the fact that it's inexcusably racist. There's a reason that you rarely hear anyone publicly praise the swastika or Stormfront logo from a design standpoint. And it has nothing to do with their design.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived