"Washington Federals" (Now Redskins name discussion)

DeFrank

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

They are not yours. You have no interest in the team even as a season ticket holder since you are a minor.

You really don't like me don't you? :therock:

If you don't think I know what life is about then maybe you should stop bringing up unrelated issues like health care and life being "goddamn real". This is about logos. Sportslogos. That expands to team names. I'm allowed to be passionate about my sports team for the reasons you mentioned in your rant. I'm not going to go cry in a corner (after a couple hours), but I'm allowed to be passionate about my favorite sports teams logo identity...

I will not speak for BBTV, but I do dislike you.

People root for "those who wear the laundry" much more than the root for the team's name. Identity changes still provide for merchandise sales, regardless of it is a throwback or a current look.

I don't understand how you don't understand that all I'm saying is the Redskins is the team I root for, and it would be difficult accepting them under a new identity with potentially new colors. That's all I'm saying. And it's one thing to go from arguing a point to attacking the poster and another to straight out say "I don't like you". Not really sure why either...

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could go with Washington Warriors or Potomacs and the only thing that would need changing would be the wordmark. That seems to be a very easy solution to the "get fans to accept the new name" argument. Besides, this team's changed names once before. They were the Braves, now they're the Redskins. It's not like switching from Redskins to a less insulting native-themed name would the great break with tradition you DC fans are making it out to be.

It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Some "fans" that ditch the team because they change their name of all things. Moving? Yep. But a name change? Come on.

Personally I don't see "redskin" being on the same level as other derogatory words. And until there's a legitimate, large effort by American Indians to get rid of the name, there's no reason to do away with it. (If that ever happens though, go ahead.)

Because we are the Redskins. I mean, what if the Red Sox became the Thunder tomorrow? The entire world would freak out because it's a world brand. Our entire city (plus VA, NC, WV, some MD) would freak out. It would be terrible. The name has been here for 75 years. It's our team. Hail to the Redskins. Fight for old D.C. The marching band. The logos. The colors.

If they take that away from us, were just a generic losing team with no future. Our history is all that keeps us going. The Federals or Warriors didn't win 3 Super Bowls and play in 2 others, THE REDSKINS did.

And I wouldn't "ditch the team" but what I'm saying is it would just be another step in the wrong direction after all the free agent mishaps, the Synder failures, and the coaching carousel. Now were not even the Redskins?? I would buy the new jersey. I would update my concepts. I would remain FULLY invested in Washington football.

GROW THE F CK UP. People would be upset, then realize that they still have to wake up and go do their jobs so that they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure their kids are fed etc Then they would be upset for a little more, until they realize that they still have to wake up and check their elderly parent into a nursing home,then rush back to work so they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure that their kids get fed. Then they'd eventually realize that they don't have that much time to be upset about it. It's goddam sports. It's not real. Goddam life is real. Real goddam real.

You can still have the same fun going to the games with your friends or family, or rooting for the hometown team at the local taproom, etc. That's what the whole sports thing is really all about. If you actually use your brain to think about what pro sports are, you won't be able to be a fan. It's borderline pro wrestling. It's about bringing communities together by people gathering for a few hours each week because they share a common interest. During those few hours, you have to fool yourself into thinking that your team is the good guys who are defending your honor, and the other team is the bad guys who want to win the game and then take you and everyone you hold dear and make you all their slaves.

Pro sports aren't wildly popular because of the actual sports, but because of the opportunities that they create for a father to bond with his son, and then that son to bond with his son, and so on and so forth. That bonding can still take place - only now they'll be attending a Washington Xtreme game, and son will be asking his father all kinds of questions about the Redskins team that he read about in the football history book, and it just creates more opportunities.

And then there are the people who don't realize that they still have to go to work, or that it's not just a game, and feel that they are a better person when their team wins, and have no self esteem when their team loses. For those people (even the few not from Cleveland), I weep.

I know you don't believe BBTV, but let me just say thank you. Dear G-d in heaven, thank you.

The Redskins changing their name wouldn't be the huge atrocity committed against the DC sports fanbase that some are making it out to be.

They could go with Washington Warriors or Potomacs and the only thing that would need changing would be the wordmark. That seems to be a very easy solution to the "get fans to accept the new name" argument. Besides, this team's changed names once before. They were the Braves, now they're the Redskins. It's not like switching from Redskins to a less insulting native-themed name would the great break with tradition you DC fans are making it out to be.

I see that. I do. I think if it came to that, I could definitely accept it. The Potomac could work. Sure, Hail to the Po..to..macs would be a little awkward but whatever. That's a much better solution that a complete rebrand. I still want the name to stay, but I could get over it much easier in that case. But you can't compare the name Braves to Redskins to Redskins to X because it's a difference of 5 years and 75.

potd 10/20/12

Natsfan's post was awesome. When he made the one point about it no longer being derogatory, Ice_Caps' comeback was just, Yeah it is! (It's not by the way)

The term "redskin" as a derogatory term directed against Natives has been well established and documented since the 1700s. He claimed, without a single solitary piece of evidence, that it was no longer derogatory. Between him and myself the burden of proof lies with him. I have nearly 300 years of history on my side telling me it's a derogatory racial slur. Lets see Natsfan refute that with something besides his home town loyalty-fuelled internet rage.

It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Some "fans" that ditch the team because they change their name of all things. Moving? Yep. But a name change? Come on.

Personally I don't see "redskin" being on the same level as other derogatory words. And until there's a legitimate, large effort by American Indians to get rid of the name, there's no reason to do away with it. (If that ever happens though, go ahead.)

Because we are the Redskins. I mean, what if the Red Sox became the Thunder tomorrow? The entire world would freak out because it's a world brand. Our entire city (plus VA, NC, WV, some MD) would freak out. It would be terrible. The name has been here for 75 years. It's our team. Hail to the Redskins. Fight for old D.C. The marching band. The logos. The colors.

If they take that away from us, were just a generic losing team with no future. Our history is all that keeps us going. The Federals or Warriors didn't win 3 Super Bowls and play in 2 others, THE REDSKINS did.

And I wouldn't "ditch the team" but what I'm saying is it would just be another step in the wrong direction after all the free agent mishaps, the Synder failures, and the coaching carousel. Now were not even the Redskins?? I would buy the new jersey. I would update my concepts. I would remain FULLY invested in Washington football.

GROW THE F CK UP. People would be upset, then realize that they still have to wake up and go do their jobs so that they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure their kids are fed etc Then they would be upset for a little more, until they realize that they still have to wake up and check their elderly parent into a nursing home,then rush back to work so they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure that their kids get fed. Then they'd eventually realize that they don't have that much time to be upset about it. It's goddam sports. It's not real. Goddam life is real. Real goddam real.

You can still have the same fun going to the games with your friends or family, or rooting for the hometown team at the local taproom, etc. That's what the whole sports thing is really all about. If you actually use your brain to think about what pro sports are, you won't be able to be a fan. It's borderline pro wrestling. It's about bringing communities together by people gathering for a few hours each week because they share a common interest. During those few hours, you have to fool yourself into thinking that your team is the good guys who are defending your honor, and the other team is the bad guys who want to win the game and then take you and everyone you hold dear and make you all their slaves.

Pro sports aren't wildly popular because of the actual sports, but because of the opportunities that they create for a father to bond with his son, and then that son to bond with his son, and so on and so forth. That bonding can still take place - only now they'll be attending a Washington Xtreme game, and son will be asking his father all kinds of questions about the Redskins team that he read about in the football history book, and it just creates more opportunities.

And then there are the people who don't realize that they still have to go to work, or that it's not just a game, and feel that they are a better person when their team wins, and have no self esteem when their team loses. For those people (even the few not from Cleveland), I weep.

I know you don't believe BBTV, but let me just say thank you. Dear G-d in heaven, thank you.

The Redskins changing their name wouldn't be the huge atrocity committed against the DC sports fanbase that some are making it out to be.

Listen to sports talk radio around here and you'd think differently. Change from the Redskins and everyones jumping off the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. I'll push a few too. I've said it before, when I followed and cared about the Redskins, even though they were my team, I absolutely hated the fanbase. Most entitled group of fans you'd ever meet (generally speaking of course). I think you're figuring this out now.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

They're certainly giving Cleveland fans a run for their money. Hopefully LeBron and the Heat win the NBA title so the Cleveland fans can get their momentum back.

I see that. I do. I think if it came to that, I could definitely accept it. The Potomac could work. Sure, Hail to the Po..to..macs would be a little awkward but whatever. That's a much better solution that a complete rebrand. I still want the name to stay, but I could get over it much easier in that case. But you can't compare the name Braves to Redskins to Redskins to X because it's a difference of 5 years and 75.

So? The team still has a documented history of a consistent native-themed identity with different names. Switching from Redskins to some other, less offensive, native-themed name would simply be par for the course. In terms of the bigger picture that is.

Also, question. You and other fans have brought up with the team's mismanagement the name and the history that goes with it is all you have left, and that to change the name would be the final straw. Well what if they change the name, and then win a Super Bowl as the Warriors or Potomacs? I guarantee you most of these "Redskins is sacred!" DC fans will become pretty accepting of the new name then.

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

They are not yours. You have no interest in the team even as a season ticket holder since you are a minor.

You really don't like me don't you? :therock:

If you don't think I know what life is about then maybe you should stop bringing up unrelated issues like health care and life being "goddamn real". This is about logos. Sportslogos. That expands to team names. I'm allowed to be passionate about my sports team for the reasons you mentioned in your rant. I'm not going to go cry in a corner (after a couple hours), but I'm allowed to be passionate about my favorite sports teams logo identity...

I will not speak for BBTV, but I do dislike you.

People root for "those who wear the laundry" much more than the root for the team's name. Identity changes still provide for merchandise sales, regardless of it is a throwback or a current look.

I don't understand how you don't understand that all I'm saying is the Redskins is the team I root for, and it would be difficult accepting them under a new identity with potentially new colors. That's all I'm saying. And it's one thing to go from arguing a point to attacking the poster and another to straight out say "I don't like you". Not really sure why either...

Since you, "love my Redskins. Everything about them". Then you must love Edward Bennett Williams and his refusal to integrate the team. Correct?

Between that and George Marshall, a very open racist, naming the team Redskins it becomes vary apparent that an image change, even one as minor as Warriors or Potomacs, would do wonders to "clean the slate."

I really like the redskin potato idea. The Redskins' logo isn't very good. From a distance, the Indian could easily be confused with a potato. See? They're halfway there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So now this thread has turned from talking about the Federals to talking about the Redskins to talking about me. Your attacking me as a racist, self entitled, idiot who is blind to all other views.

Don thinks the Redskins fans feel entitled, "as we've seen here" when all I'm saying is I would like to see our name stay what it is because that's what I know. What are your favorite teams? Would you like to see them change names? Probably not. But, when I say that the Potomacs is something I could accept if we stayed the burgundy and gold, fight for old DC, our logo, and so forth, Ice_Cap ignores that and talks about me saying changing from the Braves to Redskins after 5 years of existance (in Boston) is the same degree and changing from Redskins to Potomacs after 75

potd 10/20/12

Archived