Anaheim Mighty Ducks concept

CS85

I rarely ever do a concept, I'm still cutting my teeth with vector suites, but I felt like I'd give this one a shot in good ol' photoshop. My early apologies for the quality or blatant hockey sweater mistakes or forehead-slap-inspiring blunders, be gentle, haha.

I went with the ducks for no better reason other than I feel like their current set is pretty nasty. I don't like the weird swooshes and mishandling of their logo/wordmark/thing. I like the story behind their colors, however (gold/black - US Army Knights, orange - orange county homage), and wanted to tie in some of the classiness of their past. Thusly I basically did a re-hash of the sweaters to something more conservative while implementing other minor touches:

- made their former alternate wordmark their primary crest. I always felt it looked great on a hockey sweater and isn't as goofy as the maskduck or absurd as the duck foot D thingy.

- made the duck foot the shoulder patch

- created a fauxback which I felt turned out kind of cool.

- got the numbers off the sleeves

Anyway, thanks for any C & C you can give, much appreciated.

HOME

duckshome.jpg

ROAD

ducksroad.jpg

ALT

ducksalt.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If Anaheim skated out in these next year, everyone could agree that it's an improvement. Nice job!

Not eveyrone. This needs work. The front numbers are ugly and that logo looks bad.

It certainly does, haha! Take into consideration these are recolors only, I didn't do any sort of original logo creation here, so if there's messiness in that swooshing Anaheim, it's my shortcoming as an amateur.

Front numbers are never my favorite, but I hate how they currently look on the sleeve. Plus with the way that anaheim crest angles up, the numbers help to balance it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, to all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think your biggest problem here is not the wordmark, it's the numbers. They look awful on the front of the jersey and need to be moved back to the sleeves. For the logo, however, it just doesn't fit well with those colors. I say try and add the silver back into the logo and make champange as minimal as possible. Maybe even add black back into it and use a bit of orange. And as much as I like the stripes on the white sweater, they look terrible and mismatched on the black sweater. I would try to reconfigure some other sort of placement of those colors on that pallette. The third sweater is just yuck. It needs a lot of reworking. The orange and champange stripes with that black bar on an already overpowering black sweater is overkill. There definitely needs to be more white included. And erase that number on the front.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The sweater stripe patterns are beautiful on the home and road. I'll agree with the rest that the baseball jersey-ish front numbers need to be moved, but you're not far at all from a real winner, and god knows the Ducks need all the help they can get with their current look.

FSU2.gif

I find the Ducks current regular set to be boring enough as it is with the wordmark on the front, needless to say using the older wordmark isn't even a great replacement for what they're using now, and it doesn't look good at all in those colours. The striping isn't bad, and I'll give you credit for trying to make orange stand out a bit more, but it feels too Blackhawks-ish. Also, the front number looks awkward.

Naturally I like the duck mask being on the front of at least one of the uniforms, but on a fauxback 1920's style jersey it doesn't feel right. If you're going to use the older wordmark crest anywhere, this jersey would be far more appropriate for it.

Overall, for a first attempt at a uniform concept it's not exactly horrific, but it does need a bit more work.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Thanks again for all the feedback everybody. I took it all heavily into consideration for my second attempt.

- ditched the hated front numbers and returned them to the sleeves

- abandoned the old wordmark thing and made the primary crest the D-duck foot. I felt like a big problem was that nothing on the uniform said "ducks," so I felt this is their strongest current logo to brand an identity around

- agreed that it rang heavily of blackhawks, so I thickened the center stripe and replaced the black with gold in the secondary for the most part

- for the alt fauxback, I completely changed the center band to give it a more embroidered heavier look and more color. I also made the shoulder patch AD, a slight adaptation of the old intersecting MD

Let me know what you think!

HOME

duckshome2.jpg

ROAD

ducksroad2.jpg

ALT

ducksalt2.jpg

twitter

Downgrade. Why not keep the scripts but lose the front numbers?

For the alt, shrink the center stripe á la Red Wings Winter Classic.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Archived