NHL Renews with NBC and Versus

rmackman

Just a wild guess on the new name for Versus: NBC Sportsnet. Ties in with the local Comcast Sportsnet brand. Wouldn't be surprised if they start coaxing other local/regional sports networks under their umbrella to compete with/conquer FSN.

My guess CSNBC. Ties in with other NBC channels (CNBC, MSNBC) and also the Comcast Sportsnet (CSN) regional channels.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a wild guess on the new name for Versus: NBC Sportsnet. Ties in with the local Comcast Sportsnet brand. Wouldn't be surprised if they start coaxing other local/regional sports networks under their umbrella to compete with/conquer FSN.

My guess CSNBC. Ties in with other NBC channels (CNBC, MSNBC) and also the Comcast Sportsnet (CSN) regional channels.

Ebersol is going to be the lead voice, so I'm not too worried about what it will be. Could wind up just being NBC Sports Network or something. I'm not a huge fan of Versus as a name, so I think just about anything would be an improvement.

They're going to televise on all the NBC channels? Like the Olympics? NBC MSNBC CNBC USA Bravo The Weather Channel NBC Universal Versus.

Hockey on Bravo. HA!

It will be mainly be on NBC and Versus (or whatever they call it). You will probably see some games on the other networks for the first two rounds of the playoffs as the deal calls for all playoffs games to be nationally televised (and all after round 1 on an exclusive basis). But outside those handful of games no it won't be on other networks. And really that is only 1 or 2 extra channels depending on how much overlap.

No, actually, Bettman & Co. probably hurt the league long-term.

Put simply, the deal is too long, and the dollars too short. While $2 billion over 10 years seems like a lot of money, in reality it's a pittance.

$ 2,000,000,000 divided by 10 years = $ 200,000,000 per year in league-wide revenue

$ 200,000,000 per year divided by 30 clubs = $ 6,666,666 per club, per year, pre-tax.

That's not a whole helluva lot of money for both network and cable/satellite broadcasting rights to your sports property in 2011. I can't imagine how bad it'll look in 2020.

Good point.

This is a fraction of what the NFL, MLB and even NBA are getting now, much less in ten years.

Sure, the gross number looks impressive in a vacuum, but does the NHL not think it might want to raise its price sometime in the next decade?

Good point.

This is a fraction of what the NFL, MLB and even NBA get. Sure, the gross number looks impressive in a vacuum, but does the NHL not think it might want to raise its price sometime in the next decade?

It may be, but those sports are also much further ahead then the NHL in terms of both ratings and following. On top of that the NHL also has its own network, and that also doesen't include the revenue they get from TSN, so were not talking about this being their only source of national TV revenue.

I don't think its that bad of a deal for the NHL all things considered. The best move they ever made was leaving money on the table in order to leave ESPN and go to NBC/Versus. They got much more control over how their product was presented then ESPN would ever let them have, and I think that's one of the big reasons why their ratings have been so much better in recent years.

The league is coming back in terms of popularity even if ESPN would rather devote over an hour of coverage to the release of the NFL schedulue and spend five minutes talking about the NHL playoffs.

My guess is that they needed a pick-me-up with the Coyotes deal falling apart.

So, same old short-sighted, crisis-management thinking?

Pretty much. This is a league that, aside from the power broker franchises, consists of the bottom of the barrel of sports ownership. They saw the "big" number and jumped for joy.

Good point.

This is a fraction of what the NFL, MLB and even NBA get. Sure, the gross number looks impressive in a vacuum, but does the NHL not think it might want to raise its price sometime in the next decade?

It may be, but those sports are also much further ahead then the NHL in terms of both ratings and following.

This is true. Two things though.

They could have gone for a short-term deal to raise their price in the future. If the league really is on the upswing then a five year deal should, theoretically, work out better for them, as it would allow them to demand a higher price in a relatively short amount of time.

Secondly, it's at least partially the NHL's own fault that they're so far behind the other three pro leagues in the first place.

I'm not saying this is a terrible, or even bad deal. The fact that they got networks to bid on them is a good sign. It's just not as fantastic as it may seem at first, and a more strategic approach to the negotiations could have worked out better for them in the long term.

If this is indeed the start of the NHL turning things around, fantastic. I look forward to bigger and better things in the future. This league's let me down before, though. So I'm not jumping to joy over an ok television deal.

Yeah, I was just thinking how two billion over ten years sounds amazing, then I remembered that baseball makes three billion in one year, and sort of looked down at my feet for a little bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Relative to the NHL, it's a good deal. Considering that the league will take in double what it previously did while likely to lose the #8 and #12 media markets in Atlanta and Phoenix, and that we're 6 years removed from the league dropping to the bicycle race channel with an intermission show done in a public-access studio, I can't say this isn't positive. The duration is questionable, but what out there suggests explosive growth in the American televised hockey landscape over the next decade? The league spent the era of skyrocketing television deal pissing down its leg and cancelling a full season. I'm happy to see a deal that involves actual money from a major sports broadcaster, when we could just as easily have had the league doing brokered time buys like MLS, the AFL, and lacrosse.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, 2004, and they were mostly on ESPN2, and instead of only showing the Red Wings, Rangers, Penguins, and Flyers, they only showed the Red Wings, Stars, and Avs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hopefully VS and NBC decide to show more teams than the Rangers and Capitals from now on. The eastern conference game of the week schedule they have is ridiculous.

I'd like to think this deal could lead to Sunday doubleheaders, with your Eastern/Central game starting at 12:30 or 1 ET on NBC, and a Central/Mountain/Pacific game at 3:30 or 4 ET on Versus.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, 2004, and they were mostly on ESPN2, and instead of only showing the Red Wings, Rangers, Penguins, and Flyers, they only showed the Red Wings, Stars, and Avs.

Correct, no joke I remember every time I would turn a hockey game on ESPN it would have the Avalanche in it. And that had to be a lot considering I was like 7 and still remember. :P

They're going to televise on all the NBC channels? Like the Olympics? NBC MSNBC CNBC USA Bravo The Weather Channel NBC Universal Versus.

Hockey on Bravo. HA!

I eagerly anticipate watching the Quebec Nordiques on Telemundo in 2013, as well as Corey Perry's upcoming season on The Real Housewives of Orange County.

No, actually, Bettman & Co. probably hurt the league long-term.

Put simply, the deal is too long, and the dollars too short. While $2 billion over 10 years seems like a lot of money, in reality it's a pittance.

$ 2,000,000,000 divided by 10 years = $ 200,000,000 per year in league-wide revenue

$ 200,000,000 per year divided by 30 clubs = $ 6,666,666 per club, per year, pre-tax.

That's not a whole helluva lot of money for both network and cable/satellite broadcasting rights to your sports property in 2011. I can't imagine how bad it'll look in 2020.

Good point.

This is a fraction of what the NFL, MLB and even NBA are getting now, much less in ten years.

Sure, the gross number looks impressive in a vacuum, but does the NHL not think it might want to raise its price sometime in the next decade?

Most of the rights deals signed over the last two years have been close to a decade long contracts.

Also remember the Canadian deals run up in the middle here, so that will provide a bit of a bump. Also we don't know the structure of the dale. It could be (probably is) backloaded.

Archived