NHL Renews with NBC and Versus

rmackman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By comparison, Major League Soccer's teams garner approximately $ 1.28 million each from its U.S. television deals. So by that yardstick, the NHL's popularity is less than 1/5th that of MLS. MLS' rights fees will go up between now and 2020. The NHL's won't. Note what I say now - this is a BAD deal for the National Hockey League.

nav-logo.png

$ 200,000,000 per year divided by 30 clubs = $ 6,666,666 per club, per year, pre-tax.

By comparison, Major League Soccer's teams garner approximately $ 1.28 million each from its U.S. television deals. So by that yardstick, the NHL's popularity is less than 1/5th that of MLS.

So, wait, if the NHL's new TV deal earned each team only $200 thousand per year instead, that would mean hockey would then be six times as popular as soccer? I think that tornado took your math and flipped it upside-down along with your roof, Dorothy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I noticed those numbers, saw they were both posted by Mac, and got thoroughly confused.

Anyway, I don't think this has been posted yet, but the Montreal Gazette says "NBC Sports Channel" will be VS new name:

Site: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/windfall+from/4644322/story.html

Mobile: http://www.montrealgazette.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=4644322

I noticed those numbers, saw they were both posted by Mac, and got thoroughly confused.

Anyway, I don't think this has been posted yet, but the Montreal Gazette says "NBC Sports Channel" will be VS new name:

Site: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/windfall+from/4644322/story.html

Mobile: http://www.montrealgazette.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=4644322

THat isn't what Ebersol said, he said it would be named as a NBC sports channel. Meaning NBC will be in the name.

Is NBC Sports just to easy?

I don't know what they will name it. They haven't announced the name yet is all I'm saying. I'm still guessing some combination of Comcast Sportsnet and NBC sports, as it seems they want to tie the regional brands with the national.

This may not be the worst deal, financially, for Hockey. Two things seemvery smart. One is that playoff games are guaranteed on national TV, but also the length of the deal. Industry experts seem to believe the price of TV sports rights is at something like it's peak. By getting a long term deal, the NHL has put itself in a decent position to deal with whatever the multi media, multi format world throws at sports. Also it means NBC might actually spend some money developing the coverage of hockey, which generally, IMO is a bit behind the times.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• 1 month later...

That means another 10 years with no Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, or NHL 2Night. Why can't NBC and ESPN bid together or just give NBC, VS, and ESPN separate rights. Like NBC VS broadcast Eastern Conference games including playoffs, the Winter Classic, and Games 1,3,5,7 of the Stanley Cup. ESPN Gets the Western conference games including playoffs, the All-Star game, and Games 2,4,6 of the Stanley Cup.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

That means another 10 years with no Gary Thorne

That's a good thing, really.

Gary Thorne talks like how Tnak types. And it keeps America's version of Don Cherry (Barry "Clown" Melrose) relegated to once-a-month duties for SportsCenter.

That means another 10 years with no Gary Thorne

That's a good thing, really.

Gary Thorne talks like how Tnak types. And it keeps America's version of Don Cherry (Barry "Clown" Melrose) relegated to once-a-month duties for SportsCenter.

How is that good? Gary Thorne is like the Gus Johnson of hockey. I know he is not the best at pronouncing names but this video makes you want him to come back to hockey whether it be NBC or ESPN. Barry Melrose is a pretty bad analyst but is the only middle aged man that can pull of a mullet.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

this video makes you want him to come back to hockey

No, it makes me jealous of all the deaf people that watched those games or own NHL ## on video game systems.

Archived