NHL Renews with NBC and Versus

rmackman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foley, Emrick (tiring affectations aside), and Hughson (Vancouverism aside) are my preferred game-callers. With Foley and Emrick especially, I feel like I can close my eyes and still see the game. In Foley's case, at least, that probably owes to the fact that he used to simulcast on TV and radio (when, you know, there was actually TV coverage.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Foley's really good. Didn't want to be a homer. I can take or leave Olczyk when he doesn't bother modulating his voice.

STOP IT RIGHT HERE

His regular speaking voice is really quiet and unassuming, then he gets on an NHL telecast on NBC, Versus, CSN, USA, PaxNet, Fox Family Channel, or America's Talking and it's all OKAY STOP IT RIGHT THERE FOR ALL YOU YOUNG HOCKEY PLAYERS OUT THERE WATCH RIGHT HERE PAT LOOK PAT WATCH KANE MOVE TO THE RIGHT DOC NO PAT HE GETS A LANE OPEN AND my tender ears

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All I know is that they should show more teams on NBC next year. A Sharks-Red Wings game would be awesome.

Unfortunately, a 9:30am San Jose start time isn't going to give the folks at NBC the ratings they desire. Anything west of Central time is not happening. I really hope that, with the new glorious corporate synergy, we'll now get an 11:30 (Central) game on NBC featuring the ratings-friendly seven, and then a 2:30 or 3:00 game on Versus featuring the rest of the damn league. There is enough of a hockey audience in this country to make the cable half of the doubleheader worth their while.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe I'm missing something regarding American NHL broadcasting, but why the complaints about NBC only airing the high-profile teams? Between Versus and local coverage as a fan you're not forced to watch what NBC decides to air.

Hockey in the States doesn't draw the strongest ratings, it makes sense for NBC to show the teams they can count on for a solid number. No casual sports fan in the midwest is going to watch Predators-Sharks, regardless of how good a game it might be. He just may tune in for Red Wings-Blackhawks though.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of keeping American national telecasts limited to big-city teams in the northeast and midwest, because that's the only way NBC is going to cobble together enough viewers to justify doing this hockey thing. But I think you're underestimating the extent to which they air the crap out of the Rangers. If it's not every week, it feels like it. I don't think any organization has ever gotten more mileage out of a championship than the Rangers did with 1994; I give no f-ck about a single skater on their roster and yet they're treated as the Yankees of hockey because they are based in the same municipality.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of keeping American national telecasts limited to big-city teams in the northeast and midwest, because that's the only way NBC is going to cobble together enough viewers to justify doing this hockey thing. But I think you're underestimating the extent to which they air the crap out of the Rangers. If it's not every week, it feels like it. I don't think any organization has ever gotten more mileage out of a championship than the Rangers did with 1994; I give no f-ck about a single skater on their roster and yet they're treated as the Yankees of hockey because they are based in the same municipality.

Yeah, not only that, they showed them against the Flyers 3 times this year. Give me Sid vs the Great 8 three times then the boring Rangers.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Maybe I'm missing something regarding American NHL broadcasting, but why the complaints about NBC only airing the high-profile teams? Between Versus and local coverage as a fan you're not forced to watch what NBC decides to air.

Hockey in the States doesn't draw the strongest ratings, it makes sense for NBC to show the teams they can count on for a solid number. No casual sports fan in the midwest is going to watch Predators-Sharks, regardless of how good a game it might be. He just may tune in for Red Wings-Blackhawks though.

See I don't think that we're saying for NBC to show Sharks/Preds. But what we're saying is that NBC only shows a game that features two of their seven coveted teams together. Rather than showing one of the ratings bringing teams and getting some national exposure for one of the other better teams in the league that doesn't get the air time.

Heck, even Versus doesn't show all the teams in the league and a good majority they only show once or twice.

And no, as a fan we're not forced to watch what NBC shows, but as a fan it's also nice to see other teams share the spotlight and other great players in the league get some publicity besides Crosby, Ovechkin, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Fyers, and Rangers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Versus does a good job of incorporating teams from around the league. I can't tell you how many Blues-Lightning sorts of games I didn't watch last year.

Where was all this butthurt yearning for Sharks games when ESPN had the rights? Not only was their rotation even tighter than NBC's (hope you like the Wings, Avs, and Stars!), they barely showed any games on ABC.

they barely showed any games on ABC.

ABC should be called American Basketball Channel. That's all they show on there. NBA or SEC college basketball. I heard that if ESPN did get the rights, there would only be playoffs broadcasted on the channel. No regular season games.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

My only real complaint about Versus is that for most of the playoffs, they don't have a "series status" (e.g., "FINALS - VAN LEADS 2-0") on their on-screen scorebug. Other than that, I have really liked Versus's coverage. I also like NHL on NBC.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Oh don't even start me on that. It sickens me the amount of propaganda they spew at you when you go to a game at the Garden. It's as if James Dolan said "you know what, I don't give two craps, we'll show highlights of Game 7 about 32 times during tonight's game and it'll make everyone forget we haven't been able to put the puck in the net for the past 4 seasons".

Yeah, it was awesome when they won it. But it's almost 20 years ago. The next time I have to hear Sam Rosen yell "LEETCH - SCORESSSSS!!!!" during a TV timeout or something I'm going to go ballistic.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Oh don't even start me on that. It sickens me the amount of propaganda they spew at you when you go to a game at the Garden. It's as if James Dolan said "you know what, I don't give two craps, we'll show highlights of Game 7 about 32 times during tonight's game and it'll make everyone forget we haven't been able to put the puck in the net for the past 4 seasons".

Yeah, it was awesome when they won it. But it's almost 20 years ago. The next time I have to hear Sam Rosen yell "LEETCH - SCORESSSSS!!!!" during a TV timeout or something I'm going to go ballistic.

Join the Devils Army.

NJ-wants-you2.jpg

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Join the Devils Army.

NJ-wants-you2.jpg

OK Sure. Go Devils. That won me over.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Join the Devils Army.

NJ-wants-you2.jpg

Plenty of good seats available. Perpetually.

Join the Devils Army.

NJ-wants-you2.jpg

Why is Walt Disney cheering for the Devils?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived