MLB just took control of the Dodgers

The_Admiral

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a related development, Glendale mayor Elaine Scruggs has just announced a proposal to sell $850 million in municipal bonds to convert Camelback Ranch into a full-season, 58,000-seat baseball stadium.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the Rangers were under league control when they won the pennant. I don't remember. It's not like the Dodgers are going to have their failure designed for them like the Expos did.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, to the best of my knowledge, CanWest Park can be expanded to 12,000 pretty quickly, so it looks like Winnipeg's sporting landscape is about to get pretty cramped in a hurry.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think the Rangers were under league control when they won the pennant. I don't remember. It's not like the Dodgers are going to have their failure designed for them like the Expos did.

No, never to this extent. When in financial peril, MLB didn't allow them to increase their budget due to the money lent to the team, but it was never to the point where they appointed somebody to take day to day control of the team. The Rangers were always being run by Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan.

I guess taking out the loan to meet payroll was the final straw. There is no logical reason for a team like the Dodgers to have cash flow problems. This should be good news to Dodger fans. McCourt was just using the team to bail himself out of his own financial debt. I think the MLB will have a much better idea of what's really in the team's best interest.

I think buyers are already lining up and by season's end I think the Dodgers will be under new ownership.

It's a sad day in baseball when a franchise with the pedigree of the Dodgers has to be put under league control. Damn shame. I had a feeling that something big was gonna happen to the Dodgers after they got that loan from FOX, but I didn't think it'd be this quickly.

It's a sad day in baseball when a franchise with the pedigree of the Dodgers has to be put under league control. Damn shame. I had a feeling that something big was gonna happen to the Dodgers after they got that loan from FOX, but I didn't think it'd be this quickly.

Sad that its come to this, but this is the best news Dodger fans have had in a long time whether they realize it or not. Frank McCourt clearly had other motives at stake with running the Dodgers then just trying to win ball games. He was using the team to keep his head floating above water because he and his wife can't agree on how to share the money and would both rather cut their nose off to spite their face then give in an inch to the other party. They'll have fun driving each other to bankruptcy.

Meanwhile the Dodgers are caught in the middle of this and its going to have significant effects on their operations for years to come. Their farm system has been destroyed over the past year. The Dodgers have made it a point not to sign any high draft choices in recent years because they don't want to spend money. They also made signifciant cuts to scouting. Just invest enough in the major league club to keep them out of the cellar. Frank McCourt had no intention of ever turning this team into a winner in the immediate future.

The only thing I can add to it is what took the MLB so long to make this decision, and why haven't they done the same with the Wilpons?

Well, I didn't think that the Dodgers of all teams would have to be put under league control, but I don't see it lasting long...Dave Checketts has admitted that the Dodgers are the next team he wants to snatch up.

The main question there is, however, is how soon can he sell the Blues?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

As soon as the McCourts filed for divorce, Bud Selig should've stepped in and taken control. Since the O'Malleys sold the team, the Dodgers have been an embarrassing franchise with horrible owners who don't care about the team or the fans whatsoever.

As soon as the McCourts filed for divorce, Bud Selig should've stepped in and taken control. Since the O'Malleys sold the team, the Dodgers have been an embarrassing franchise with horrible owners who don't care about the team or the fans whatsoever.

Didn't look like they didn't care when they took on all that payroll by making the play for Manny, nor when they were good enough to play in back-to-back NLCSs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, I didn't think that the Dodgers of all teams would have to be put under league control, but I don't see it lasting long...Dave Checketts has admitted that the Dodgers are the next team he wants to snatch up.

The main question there is, however, is how soon can he sell the Blues?

If he didn't have the money to run the Blues, what the hell makes him think he has the money to run the Dodgers?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB had little to no financial information on the falsified/altered document until a year after the divorce was filed.

In addition, both Jamie and Frank may be in IRS trouble in giving their kids "no-show" jobs with the Dodgers.

Best source for Dodger ownership news and the McCourts

For MLB/Commissioners Office to force a sale, 75% of the owners have to approve such action. The more this stays in court, the greater the possibility all team financials hit the courts and public record. All owners do not want that, even though Deadspin was given several teams financials.

The only thing I can add to it is what took the MLB so long to make this decision, and why haven't they done the same with the Wilpons?

Because the McCourts did this to themselves. The Mets' situation was by definition out of their control due to the Madoff factor.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Because the McCourts did this to themselves. The Mets' situation was by definition out of their control due to the Madoff factor.

I disagree, I think the Wilpons knew what Madoff was doing and may have been complicit. They are being sued for $1 Billion by the Madoff trust.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived