Favorite Basketball Warm Ups

mmejia

Admittedly, I stole this idea from the 2011-12 NBA thread, but I thought it was a cool idea. The post referenced basketball warm-ups potentially being as identifiable to a team as much as a uniform. In some cases, this is almost true. Here are my favorites:

Indiana's candy stripe pants

45856.jpg

This is gonna sound odd, but I hate those. Mainly because every other high school in Indiana uses candy stripe pants for warmups, but they just look ridiculous.

6fQjS3M.png

hornetswarmup.pnggrizzleswarmup.png

:cry:

First of all, I genuinely miss the Charlotte Hornets, period (meaning the era they were in Charlotte...purple-to-teal-fade 3-point arc, reversed-out "paint" and all)...and call me a sucker, but I also loved that Vancouver Grizzlies identity. And those colors.

If there's one thing we can say about the '90s, it's this: uniqueness existed in large quantities.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If there's one thing we can say about the '90s, it's this: uniqueness existed in large quantities.

Even as more of a traditionalist than not, I have to say that I agree with you. I love the 90's NBA for more nostalgic reasons than anything (and granted, there were some uniforms I didn't like from that era, like the Mutombo-era Hawks, for example), but there's no doubt that not only uniqueness heaviliy existed, but perhaps (and I hope this makes sense) deep consideration of what the location and/or team name had to offer. For example, I posted what I thought about the Spurs 90's identity and how it really embraced the southwestern culture of San Antonio a few posts back. The Jazz identity of the late 90's was a profound example, as the colors had deep meaning (copper, for example, represented the mining industry, and other colors like sky blue and dark teal(ish) really represented Utah's outdoors well). As I also stated in another thread (can't remember which one), the Nuggets identity of the era was perfect for an old west mining identity - Navy Blue, Dark Red, and Gold. Definetely a mining or "panner" type scheme, if you ask me. Then there was Vancouver and thier great tribal elements, of course (not to mention a pretty nice color scheme, too).

Anyways, I don't mean to drag on too much, but you're absolutely right, Buc. If I had my way, alot of the colors and elements of those identities (modernized and cleaned up for some, of course) would be brought back and updated today.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

A few of my favourites:

e4253f4c.jpg

I used to have a Dave Hoppen GU jacket in this style...

848648.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDFF591928AE3AFD5EBDF951EAD0000AEE4004B778B7FD35C8

The Hornets' first year warm-ups. Just insane striping...

11952a_lg.jpeg

The Bucks' early 80's design, with the Tequila Sunrise stripes. Just gorgeous.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I bought two '85 used Washington Bullets warm-ups on eBay (one home - Jeff Ruland, and one road - Tom McMillen). I don't have a pic online, but the road looks like this one, worn by Frank Johnson:

114769a_med.jpeg

114769b_med.jpeg

The home has the white and blue basically reversed, along with a large embroidered NBA logo on the front, lower right side of the jacket.

The front of the jackets are too plain, but I love that vertically arched version of the Bullets' logo. :)

Even as more of a traditionalist than not, I have to say that I agree with you. I love the 90's NBA for more nostalgic reasons than anything (and granted, there were some uniforms I didn't like from that era, like the Mutombo-era Hawks, for example), but there's no doubt that not only uniqueness heaviliy existed, but perhaps (and I hope this makes sense) deep consideration of what the location and/or team name had to offer. For example, I posted what I thought about the Spurs 90's identity and how it really embraced the southwestern culture of San Antonio a few posts back. The Jazz identity of the late 90's was a profound example, as the colors had deep meaning (copper, for example, represented the mining industry, and other colors like sky blue and dark teal(ish) really represented Utah's outdoors well). As I also stated in another thread (can't remember which one), the Nuggets identity of the era was perfect for an old west mining identity - Navy Blue, Dark Red, and Gold. Definetely a mining or "panner" type scheme, if you ask me. Then there was Vancouver and thier great tribal elements, of course (not to mention a pretty nice color scheme, too).

Anyways, I don't mean to drag on too much, but you're absolutely right, Buc. If I had my way, alot of the colors and elements of those identities (modernized and cleaned up for some, of course) would be brought back and updated today.

I agree with you. I am generally more traditional jersey wise, but I love a lot of the '90s uniforms across all sports. First off was the color, which was followed with a decade where marketing types decided teams had to darken their colors, shoehorn black into schemes and remove vital parts of franchise' identities to sell more jerseys. One of the biggest things for me in basketball design was that all that creativity was done within the context of a traditional jersey template. We didn't have sloppy wide shouldered jerseys or ridiculous necklines. All jerseys had elastic cuffs around the neck and shoulders. All necks were either rounded or v-necks. Sure, the Hawks wore some crazy stuff, but it was crazy confined within a traditional template. I feel the same way about football uniforms, too. That is why the '80s/'90s Bengals looks were great but the current look is terrible.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 4 years later...

It was so nice when teams actually looked different. I effin' HATE adidas for their extreme logo abuse and lack of creativity. I wish Nike would get the next NBA contract....thank god they got the NFL's.

I hope nike is taking notes and create different templates that the sdame generic ones adidas had done

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

• 9 months later...
On Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 0:22 AM, StillS said:

lebron_james_nba_081203_cle-vs-nyk-01.jpg

I'd like these if it wasn't worn by the whole league. That's what I loved about Champion. They made sure that even the warm-ups were specific to each team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived