Best and Worst College football uniforms

thespleenenator

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a simple two stripe pattern on the pants (green on white, white on green) and Ohio has one heck of a nice look.

I agree. Ohio has a nice look, but the total cop-out of plain pants paired with the double-stripes prominent on the jersey and helmet mess things up.

Agree with both of you guys here. The pants need stripes. I like the "Ohio" logo on the pants, but I think you can add the stripes in addition to the wordmark and it'll still look top-notch. Sometimes hip logo + stripes = clutter

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Normally, I would take the homer pick (Michigan) because it's true. But today I feel like mixing it up, so I'll give you a tie for best between...

Clemson: 4961069823_7d80488b7c.jpg

Florida State: Christian+Ponder+Florida+v+Florida+State+ei7M-wmzNXFl.jpg

Both great looks...

But for Clemson, I wish the paw would go back on the top of the shoulder, with a TV number on the sleeve. Maybe add some purple to the stripes on the pants, a la early 90s pants.

Florida State is awesome. One of my favorite uniforms. Four or five small tweaks in last 30-some years (for traditional home and road sets).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I miss Army's uniforms--the grey, gold, and black looked great as implemented:

Navy-2.jpg

I agree, but their new uniforms aren't bad by any means.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This is why you see black and silver on TCU's uniforms. It's part of their history.

Eh, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say TCU started wearing black pants and alt jerseys in 1998 because the team wore black leather helmets back in the day.

I wouldn't think it that much of a stretch.

The colors are still part of the history. And ya gotta admit, black with TCU's shade of purple is perfect.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

A few better ones most ppl dont mention:

In my opinion San Jose State is by far the most underrated. Their color scheme is so awesome.

sanjose.jpg

Another underrated one--Tulane, now that they are rocking the white lids

8861343-large.jpg

I said Tulane already... but nobody noticed :(

And to boot, you used a pic from their game against MY school, the Southeastern Louisiana University Lions. SLU lost that game. But it's cool, because Tulane and SLU. are my 2 favorite schools.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I sure do miss this set. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's the helmet that made this one of my favorite unis of all time.

54464024.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA

] 51384871.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA

I like the helmet and pants but not the jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Best:

1. Temple

2. Texas

3. Mich. State

Worst:

1. Tulsa

2. Colorado State Orange

3. NIU

Honorable Mention: Penn State for the absence of any design. Horrid, but not eye-destroying like those above.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

This is why you see black and silver on TCU's uniforms. It's part of their history.

Eh, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say TCU started wearing black pants and alt jerseys in 1998 because the team wore black leather helmets back in the day.

I wouldn't think it that much of a stretch.

The colors are still part of the history. And ya gotta admit, black with TCU's shade of purple is perfect.

I'm guessing the team only wore black helmets back then because schools didn't wear leather helmets in their colors.

Worst:

Toledo

Wazzu

Tennessee

North Carolina State

*groans as his alma mater gets dissed*

Not out and out disagreeing with you, but which Wazzu set did you mean? I thought their 2010 home set (gray helmet, crimson jersey, gray pants) was among the best they've ever had. Their 2011 gray on gray set however... *shudders*

Personally I think Michigan's home set with simple maize and blue is the best in college football. Instantly recognizable, great color scheme, elegantly done.

As for worst, I was really repulsed by some of the pro-combat sets from last year. Virginia Tech's "tech" set and West Virginia's "coal miner" set come to mind.

Go Cougs.

My turn to play...

My picks for best are as follows:

4921586.jpg

Connecticut Huskies. One color + white done right...possibly the best of the "modern" uniforms out there today. Looks clean, looks simple, and yet at the same time also looks unique and distinctive--and that ain't easy to accomplish. Looks great in any application...blue over white (as seen above), the reverse of that, or either monochrome look.

4922498.jpg

Temple Owls. Rumor is they're going back to the "T" logo helmets for this upcoming season, though I hope not. Again, one color and white done right, in a unique distinctive package...even with a neat little quirk: the barber-pole striping on the pants. Notice that same element repeated on the collar...distinctive little elements like that always win points with me. Extra special bonus points for the use of the Champion-ish bevel-block numbers.

4940684.jpg

Florida State Seminoles. One of the best helmets in all of CFB (even better with those tomahawk stickers). Notice the tribal pattern in the collar and sleeve cuffs. Striking color combo, and up until a few weeks ago, unique number font. A true classic, in my opinion.

Honorable mention: don't have pictures of it, but I'd stick Kansas State right up under here. Purple and silver is really an appealing combo, and K-State does it better than just about anyone. (I'd also mention Ohio State here...but they gotta fix those TV numbers first.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My turn to play...

My picks for best are as follows:

4921586.jpg

Connecticut Huskies. One color + white done right...possibly the best of the "modern" uniforms out there today. Looks clean, looks simple, and yet at the same time also looks unique and distinctive--and that ain't easy to accomplish. Looks great in any application...blue over white (as seen above), the reverse of that, or either monochrome look.

Expect a rise in quality of the decal placement next year. Back to '08 and '09 levels.

I was also a fan of Air Force's "Thunderbird" uniforms:

air+force+special+unis.jpg

Wow. That's fantastic. There's probably a reason why they don't do this, but I would like to see them wear this set full time.

The one thing I would to see with these uniforms is to make the shoulder stripes from in to out be red-white-blue to match the pants stripes, and then make the sleeves white (like the Jets).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived