Who thinks Adidas is ruining the NBA aesthetic?

AAO

These are all Billion dollar companies so they must be doing something right?

Not necessarily. The allure of money is often enough to make schools overlook what's right and wrong, and when a league has an exclusive contract, it's not like anyone can do anything about it.

The team can do something about it. These companies aren't holding a gun to anyone's head and making them wear bad uniforms.

What, pray tell, are they supposed to do if the league signs an exclusive outfitting contract?

Do you know anything about these contracts? My guess is no. Teams are not bound to use the outfitter's designers (though lately that's become more and more common.) Look at Majestic in MLB - we hear stories about teams hiring local branding firms to work on their designs. Of course Nike and adidas want to control everything - why wouldn't they? But ultimately it's up to the team to decide on an identity and make sure that everything they do is consistent with that identity. They own their marks.

Not necessarily. The allure of money is often enough to make schools overlook what's right and wrong, and when a league has an exclusive contract, it's not like anyone can do anything about it.

The team can do something about it. These companies aren't holding a gun to anyone's head and making them wear bad uniforms.

But especially in Memphis and Atlanta's case, they had no option. Adidas said "everyone's getting the Rev30 jerseys" which also meant that Memphis and Atlanta had to lose the inline and beveling on their numbers.

And do you know that they had no option? Do you know that the Memphis front office said "we want to keep our numbers, even if it means not upgrading to the new uniform style" and adidas said "tough - you can't!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" No, you don't. They probably didn't care. Or adidas sold the league on the benefit of the new uniform system and everyone just went along with it.

I love how everyone talk about what adidas and others are forcing down the team's throats like they are in the meetings with the teams...

You didn't know? Kids all over the country know everything about how everything works. You didn't see the thread bashing the architects of New Comiskey? Sure, to most educated people it doesn't seem that the issues could be blamed on the architects, but people on here know everything so it must be the case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But especially in Memphis and Atlanta's case, they had no option. Adidas said "everyone's getting the Rev30 jerseys" which also meant that Memphis and Atlanta had to lose the inline and beveling on their numbers.

That may be true, but it's a pretty small thing that two teams lost out on. I'll agree that Memphis looked better with the inline, but if that's the most damage adidas is doing I'll be fine.

BBTV put it very well. Of course the companies want a team to wear one of their unique designs. It's up to the team to say no and tell the company what they want the uniforms to look like. Staying in the NBA, take a look at Utah and Golden State as two examples of teams that recently changed into and don't look anything like the typical stuff adidas has been putting out.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Nobody really knows anything unless they've seen what the contract says. Gee... sure would be cool if we could see it. DFWABEL is good at this stuff - let's see that deal. GO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Revolution 30 uniforms have numbers falling off of them. Entirely too much going on. The new Magic uniforms look like circus clown outfits. The recent collar updates' this season ruin what was unique to the previous uniforms, see Hawks, Timberwolves, Sixers, Bobcats, Hornets. The Cavaliers' 'retrograde' uniforms are horrendous. The dropping of green in the Timberwolves' uniforms is debauchery. The Grizzlies' and Hawks' unique number fonts are now downgraded. The Kings look ridiculous (let's see what they do with the Royals). The Jazz look like they're having an identity crisis. The Warriors are using standard typefaces from the Microsoft Word font selection. The Rocket's alternate makes them look like they're in partnership with McDonald's. The Mavericks' new road uniform is royal blue for royal blue's sake, and again, lacking green, such a rarely used color. The Thunder, won't go there. The NBA needs a team of innovative designers and a new direction. Relying on blue, abusing the rump logo, and overusing design elements and complicating uniform features aren't what the NBA needs.

The only good things that have come from adidas' creative department is the Hawks' logo, and the Timberwolves alt logo which they rarely use. And the Clippers, I will say, aren't looking too shabby. But I do believe that logo's gotta go, update or no update.

The NBA playoffs just really got me thinking. I'm watching SportsCenter like this isn't what the NBA should look like..

My only gripe with Adidas is the abuse of their 3-stripes. Thankfully this hasn't invaded the NBA's on-court uni's (yet), but they have destroyed the teams' warm-ups/shooting shirts.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

If I remember correctly, didn't the NBA pass on AAO, leading to his distaste for them? While league wide contracts are going to produce a few duds now and then, it is a part of reality. When has there not been at least a couple teams with :censored:ty logos and unis? It is all subjective. People here universally pan them, and then kiss their asses when a great design comes up from them.

As far as numbers falling off, stuff like that...they just should have done some more testing, and I'm sure it will be fixed for next season.

People claim Nike is ruining uniforms

People claim UnderArmour is ruining uniforms

People claim Adidas is ruining uniforms

Hey, you forgot Reebok! -- who butchered the entire NHL. :D

exactly proving my point...

No sir. The three you mentioned are claims. The one he mentioned is irrefutable fact.

I can understand your point about the numbers and collars. But, design wise, isn't that more up to the teams themselves. I think Adidas has some say, but don't the teams hire their own designers? If you really want to complain about a company ruining uniform design, look no further than Adidas' other company, Reebok, with what they have done with the NHL. Now that's ruining uniform design, but then again the teams gave the thumbs up to all the designs. So in the end, blame the teams.

I think the blame has to go both ways. Adidas does come up with designs, but the teams that approve the designs have to share the blame. With that said Adidas(and Reebok) has put out some god aful designs since they took over the NHL, NBA and NFL. Especially the sideline gear. They all look the exact same and for some reason they refuse to use actual team fonts and logos on most of their designs. Recently I've only been buying throw back hats from Mithcell & Ness because the NFL sideline hats look like crap.

Broncos-Sig-2.gif

Not sure about now, but back in the day, NFL teams could either use their own in-house or (more likely) 3rd-party design firms, or partner up with NFL Properties, who had their own designers, but more and more started working with the manufacturer's designers. I think this was right around when the "Proline" era came to an end. Back in the Russell and earlier days, jerseys weren't really marketed as well and weren't major revenue items, so they really didn't care as much, and simply wanted the contracts to get their logos on the sleeves and as a way to promote their other products (sideline gear, golf shirts, workout gear, etc.) that they did spend time designing.

Not sure about now, but back in the day, NFL teams could either use their own in-house or (more likely) 3rd-party design firms, or partner up with NFL Properties, who had their own designers, but more and more started working with the manufacturer's designers. I think this was right around when the "Proline" era came to an end. Back in the Russell and earlier days, jerseys weren't really marketed as well and weren't major revenue items, so they really didn't care as much, and simply wanted the contracts to get their logos on the sleeves and as a way to promote their other products (sideline gear, golf shirts, workout gear, etc.) that they did spend time designing.

I can elaborate a little bit. If an NBA team wants a new uniform or identity, they can design it themselves, they can solicit a proposal from a design firm that they hire, or the can solicit a proposal from adidas, they can even do all of the above and pick whichever one they like best. Things like warmups and graphic tees are part of the merchandising contract, so there's not really any getting around that part of it, but NBA teams have full authority over what they look like on court.

The Rev30 jersey numbers are manufactured by a third party, so the fact that Memphis and Atlanta had to compromise their numeral designs was a case of form following function. The capability apparently just wasn't there for the supplier to embroider the inline and the bevel on top of the mesh, so they decided to compromise looks in favor of performance.

MJWalker: The three stripe motif on the Cavaliers' uniforms is due to the inspiration, not adidas trying to sneak their branding in:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/cleveland/BingoCavs.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Mavericks' new road uniform is royal blue for royal blue's sake, and again, lacking green, such a rarely used color.

How is it "royal blue for royal blue's sake?" Royal blue has been a part of the Mavs color scheme for over a decade.

The Mavericks' new road uniform is royal blue for royal blue's sake, and again, lacking green, such a rarely used color.

How is it "royal blue for royal blue's sake?" Royal blue has been a part of the Mavs color scheme for over a decade.

The Mavs have used royal blue since 1980.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I was referring to the specific shade of blue they're now using for their road unis. That blue was introduced with the total rebrand back in 2001. But you're right that the Mavs used blue as their primary color long before that.

Great topic.

Few things I noticed with the NBA. Retro is the only thing going on right now. Probably has to do with lazy designers and the whole "recycling" generation going on right now.

I dont like anything adidas did for the NBA apparel except the jersey number shirts. I just dont, they are too stale for my taste. Everyone can point out few staple designs of the 90s NBA. Also, early 00s. But last few years?

Champion was probably the best NBA outfitter. Rawlings, Nike, Reebok, they had good moments. Adidas doesn't cut it. Just doesn't. Champion had a strong "USA" style about them, and it was an important part of the whole NBA imagery, which I soaked in as a kid in the 90s watching the NBA here from Europe.

Adidas is sterile and boring, and no matter what anybody says, that's just how it is.

Du1vh.jpg

6IsUZ.jpg

Or could you show me otherwise?

The only thing I don't really care for is the Grizzlies no longer have the stripe in the middle of the numbers. And with no outer keyline, the numbers just look so plain and awkward on otherwise decent uniforms.

The Mavs have used royal blue since 1980.

I was referring to the specific shade of blue they're now using for their road unis. That blue was introduced with the total rebrand back in 2001. But you're right that the Mavs used blue as their primary color long before that.

DallasMavericksBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.png <---> DallasMavericksLightRoyal_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I have had a lot of comments about Adidas's deal with the NBA. For me the issues are:

• over pricing of these Rev 30 uni's it was a drastic price increase and poorly timed with USA, Europe and some of Asia still suffering from a poor economy.
  • 4years in development for numbers that have failed to stay in place
  • the ugly collars like the bucks pacers suns bobcats clippers magic
  • Pacers side panel piping which rarely matched on the shorts and jersey
  • Orlando had mismatched shorts piping last season with the way the endings overlapped to reach the bottom of the shorts
  • the rev 30 shorts seem a smaller tighter fit
  • the numbers on all rev 30's Celtics darker green border grizzlies and hawks missing stripes and effects
  • the 3 stripe over branding like Adidas were over compensating for something

I'm sure I have more beefs too tired to think of them right now.

I just don't understand.

People claim Nike is ruining uniforms

People claim UnderArmour is ruining uniforms

People claim Adidas is ruining uniforms

I've come to think, since EVERY manufacturer is hated around here. They all have designers, so this isn't amateur work being done. They are marketing towards a demographic, which whether you like it or not are people who happen to love these designs.

All valid points!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

I can elaborate a little bit. If an NBA team wants a new uniform or identity, they can design it themselves, they can solicit a proposal from a design firm that they hire, or the can solicit a proposal from adidas, they can even do all of the above and pick whichever one they like best. Things like warmups and graphic tees are part of the merchandising contract, so there's not really any getting around that part of it, but NBA teams have full authority over what they look like on court.

The Rev30 jersey numbers are manufactured by a third party, so the fact that Memphis and Atlanta had to compromise their numeral designs was a case of form following function. The capability apparently just wasn't there for the supplier to embroider the inline and the bevel on top of the mesh, so they decided to compromise looks in favor of performance.

MJWalker: The three stripe motif on the Cavaliers' uniforms is due to the inspiration, not adidas trying to sneak their branding in:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/cleveland/BingoCavs.jpg

And now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Archived