NHL Edge Re-Do

dbroncofan01

All of them look either boring or slightly off.

Colorado: Needs the classic mountains. I'm sorry, but those are iconic jerseys.

Calgary: Bland and lifeless.

Minnesota: Make the home green and yes.

Edmonton: If you're going that route they need to be replicas of the old ones.

Vancouver: The sleeves look too low to be at all noticable.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Pssst! It's "Iginla"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I love the Avalanche set, perfect. The only thing I really don't like is the Johnny Canuck logo on the Vancouver set, never been a big fan of him. Otherwise, nice job with these.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'm a little biased with the Flames because they're the team I cheer for, but it feels like you've stripped away anything distinctive about their last couple of jersey sets (good or bad) with yours. The City font is gone, replaced with a generic block. The striping is gone, replaced by something very generic. In fact, given that Reebok gave in on tucking in the Edge jerseys, there's no excuse for any team not to have hem stripes.

Vancouver: It's a good idea, but lacking in execution. The logo, as others have mentioned is a tad too large. The striping on the arms, though, is going to be almost non-existent on an actual player. Make it a less acute angle that come together further up the sleeve toward the numbers so that there will be more green showing all the way around.

Everything else is fine, aside from the Oilers logo being a bit small.

I went back and updated Vancouver's look and comletely re-did the Flames look. Let me now what you guys think and I will be adding the Pacific divison soon.

CALHOME-1.jpg

CALAWAY-1.jpg

I thought this series was about fixing the problems of the Edge jerseys, not exacerbating them. The vertical stripes are awful, look to the Flames 2004 set for inspiration.

really good batch here. i hate to be the first to say it but it is an absolute MUST to save your work in PNG instead of JPEG. it makes your work MUCH cleaner and that way you can make edits to it instead of completely redoing the entire concept.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

really good batch here. i hate to be the first to say it but it is an absolute MUST to save your work in PNG instead of JPEG. it makes your work MUCH cleaner and that way you can make edits to it instead of completely redoing the entire concept.

This. I'm not a fan of the Ducks, as it seems rather choppy, but the Sharks set is great. Keep up the improvements.

What exactly is the purpose of this series? With your first batch, I understood that it was to redo the launch of the Edge series so it was more palatable to hockey fans and therefore the current throwback trend we're currently in would have never existed.

The more of these you make, the more this seems to be a "if I ran the NHL" series, rather than your original concept.

Reebok was insisting on tucked in jerseys, meaning no hemline stripes. The insistence on vertical striping, especially piping, was the hallmark of the entire edge concept.

To strike a balance between Edge and Traditionalism is a very difficult thing to do. As much as I like your concepts (I really do, but I'm a traditionalist), I think you're getting away from your idea. Really, all of these jerseys should fit the Edge template pretty well. So far, San Jose, Anaheim, and Calgary are the ones that actually look like they could have been from that summer of unveilings. Those Vancouver sleeves have still yet to be seen on an Edge jersey, there's no way Reebok would have tried that then. Think like RBK, but this time with a better adviser from the NHL.

If you want to stay true to what you originally posted, make the jerseys look as best as you can using only what will fit within the stitching pattern of the Edge jersey, like ghostbusters, don't cross the seams.

Keep going, but don't simply make the coolest looking jerseys...that's not re-doing the edge jerseys, that's just tossing around concepts. Actually work with the Edge template, but make it WORK this time. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the rest of this series.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

If this is meant to give Reebok a second chance why do the Sharks and Ducks jerseys look significantly worse than the ones released in 2007? That being said, the Stars Kings and Coyotes are definite improvements.

If this is meant to give Reebok a second chance why do the Sharks and Ducks jerseys look significantly worse than the ones released in 2007? That being said, the Stars Kings and Coyotes are definite improvements.

honestly though, who predicted that the Sharks were going to do with a traditional-striped jersey? I know I didn't. Their pre-edge jerseys looked like they'd transfer perfectly to the Edge template. They were reebok-ish before reebok, with their shoulder striping and vertical side panels and such. If these looked "good enough" when first released, the hockey world wouldn't have flipped out so badly and the designs would still be around.

What exactly is the purpose of this series? With your first batch, I understood that it was to redo the launch of the Edge series so it was more palatable to hockey fans and therefore the current throwback trend we're currently in would have never existed.

The more of these you make, the more this seems to be a "if I ran the NHL" series, rather than your original concept.

Reebok was insisting on tucked in jerseys, meaning no hemline stripes. The insistence on vertical striping, especially piping, was the hallmark of the entire edge concept.

To strike a balance between Edge and Traditionalism is a very difficult thing to do. As much as I like your concepts (I really do, but I'm a traditionalist), I think you're getting away from your idea. Really, all of these jerseys should fit the Edge template pretty well. So far, San Jose, Anaheim, and Calgary are the ones that actually look like they could have been from that summer of unveilings. Those Vancouver sleeves have still yet to be seen on an Edge jersey, there's no way Reebok would have tried that then. Think like RBK, but this time with a better adviser from the NHL.

If you want to stay true to what you originally posted, make the jerseys look as best as you can using only what will fit within the stitching pattern of the Edge jersey, like ghostbusters, don't cross the seams.

Keep going, but don't simply make the coolest looking jerseys...that's not re-doing the edge jerseys, that's just tossing around concepts. Actually work with the Edge template, but make it WORK this time. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the rest of this series.

Thanks for your input, but I disagree with you. Current Edge designs like the Ducks, Vancouvers throwbacks and the Blues all feature curved or "V" shaped striping on the sleeves and the Canes feature a pattern design on their Edge jerseys. I personally think Reebok is fully capable of producing jerseys that have the more tradional look to them. I feel that the NHL just needs to stop approving Reeboks poor designs and force Reebok to start producing more tradional designs. Condsidering Reebok techniclly works for the NHL Reebok should be able to sacrafice their Edge system a little bit more than they all ready do.

With that said I do agree with on one thing. My first sets of concepts aren't very Reebok like. So in my upcoming concepts I will definantly work on making them look like Reebok designed them.

Please remember this is my first concept serries and I am learning as I go. Thanks for your feed back and keep it coming. Central division is up next.

Broncos-Sig-2.gif

honestly though, who predicted that the Sharks were going to do with a traditional-striped jersey? I know I didn't. Their pre-edge jerseys looked like they'd transfer perfectly to the Edge template. They were reebok-ish before reebok, with their shoulder striping and vertical side panels and such. If these looked "good enough" when first released, the hockey world wouldn't have flipped out so badly and the designs would still be around.

I didn't expect them to go the traditional route either but it was a pleasant surprise none the less. The only mistakes they made were making Orange an accent colour (Not addressed with this series) and using front numbers.

This set was kind of hard for me considering three of my favorite looks are in the divison(Chicago, Columbus and Detroit). With Chicago I only made some minor changes to the striping on the sleeves and the road set. On Detroit I tried to put myself in Reeboks shoes and added grey as an accent color. I know most of you will hate it but I didnt want to just post a pic of their already perfect Uni's. When I was working on ideas for Columbus I came across a pic of a revolutionary war uniform that had off white accents. So I gave the Blue Jackets a little bit of a throwback look but kept it within the Edge way of thinking.

STLHOME.png

STLAWAY.png

NASHHOME.png

NASHAWAY.png

BJHOME.png

BJAWAY.png

DETHOME.png

DETAWAY.png

CHIHOME.png

CHIAWAY.png

Broncos-Sig-2.gif

There you go, now it's starting to look like Reebok concepts. The Blues are terribly 90s, but I like it. I even think the Nashville treatment isn't bad. I hate those Columbus jerseys and even the minor changes to Detroit, but you kept it true to the idea, and I applaud you for it.

Great concepts.

Archived