Rams jerseys over the years

Slater

Was discussing the topic of the old Rams royal blue/yellow jerseys with a colleague at work. Specifically, the ram's horn sleeve logos. He maintained that they had remained unchanged in width from the 1970's on up through the year that the club changed over to the new pattern uniforms. I thought that they had varied slightly over the years depending on manufacturer. Was there enough variance to be noticeable?

Was discussing the topic of the old Rams royal blue/yellow jerseys with a colleague at work. Specifically, the ram's horn sleeve logos. He maintained that they had remained unchanged in width from the 1970's on up through the year that the club changed over to the new pattern uniforms. I thought that they had varied slightly over the years depending on manufacturer. Was there enough variance to be noticeable?

As far as I know, not only did the ram horn not change, the number font -- and the way the numbers were applied to the jerseys -- also remained unchanged until the year after the Rams won the Super Bowl.

The horns had to change slightly over the years and get a bit smaller as the sleeves got shorter. However, I believe all the various manufacturers made them the same way - it starts as a knit shoulder loop and the part that curves around on the sleeve (surrounding the TV number) is a piece of sewn-on material. That might have changed from tackle twill on the early ones to a knit fabric but I think it was mostly tackle twill.

I do believe they used tackle twill numbers on the original 1973 jerseys; it seems like the heat-pressed numbers started either during the 1973 season or in 1974, but back then jerseys were used for multiple years so some players may have had jerseys with tackle twill while others wore jerseys with heat press numbers. By 1975 the team was all heat-pressed numbers, which were worn through the 1999 season.

Archived