International Hockey League (Concept league)

josh_cat_eyes

I have come up with a concept hockey league that would potentially compete with the NHL, KHL and AHL. Each 8 team division would mostly play against itself, however intra-division play would happen. The playoffs would simply be the the top 2 teams in every division would get a bi, the 3rd team would play 6th and the 4th team would play 5th. The winners would play the 1st and 2nd team, based on how the finished in the regular season, pretty self explanatory. However once the 3 division winners are chosen, a predetermined host team, will host the IHL (insert sponsor name here) Megabowl. (Yes its a reference to 'Semi-Pro') After the teams all play each other once, the team with the worst record is eliminated. The 3 remaining teams then play each other once more. The team with the best record after ALL round robin games goes to the championship game. The remaining 2 teams play a final time to see who plays in the championship game.

The league would also provide north american players an alternative to the KHL, AHL and NHL. It would not attempt to steal the best players like the WHA, but rather take players who are constantly moving up and down between the NHL and AHL, veterans who no longer are wanted by NHL teams, and players who don't get signed that end up moving to Europe or even players looking to make a comeback from an absent or injury. A few examples of players who, could have taken or can take in the future, advantage of this league are: Chris Chelios, Ray Emery, Miroslav Satan etc. here is a list of cities and team names that I currently have come up with:

West Division:

Alaska Blizzard (Anchorage)

Vancouver Rockies

Seattle Totems

Portland Huskies

Utah Grizzlies

Saskatoon Stampede

Las Vegas Aces

Phoenix Road Runners (Glendale)

Central Division:

Milwaukee Moose

Louisville Rebels

Indiana Racers

Omaha Knights

Iowa

Kansas City Cougars

Cleveland Barons

Chicago

East Division:

Hartford

New Jersey (East Rutherford)

Long Island

Montreal Quebecios (Laval)

Toronto St. Patricks (Richmond Hill)

Hamilton Steel Dogs

Quebec Voyageurs

Halifax Mariners

The frist two teams I have come up with are Toronto and Montreal.

TorontoStPatricks-1.png

TorontoStPatricks1-1.png

MontrealQuebecois.png

MontrealQuebecois1.png

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I like what you have, hope we see more. I assume your Iowa team will be in Des Moines, and I suggest you call them Des Moines. Most of the teams in DM are named Iowa, and really no one outside of th DM area cares.

Everything looks pretty good so far, but I'm really not liking the name Milwaukee Moose. I get what you're going for, but I'm not even sure there's any moose in Wisconsin and if there is, they're way way up north and nowhere near Metro Milwaukee. If you want to keep the "lakewoods" theme, I would suggest Stags or Muskies since both allude to an official Wisconsin state animal.

Any other ideas for team names? I also moved some teams and changed some name as to not compete with the other leagues:

Milwaukee > St. Paul

Cleveland > Lexington War Admirals

Chicago > Cedar Rapids or Lincoln

Hartford > New Haven/New England/Connecticut Eagles

Louisville Rebels > Louisville Derby?

Indiana Racers > Indianapolis Racers?

Iowa > Des Moines (only if Cedar Rapids is chosen over Lincoln)

Should I keep the Chicago team?

Should I keep a team in Hartford, Milwaukee and Cleveland despite the existence of established AHL teams?

I have been thinking too, Green Bay and Duluth could be potential markets.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I wouldn't recomend using either Ceadr Rapids or Lincoln they are both pretty small markets, especially compared to your other markets. I'd keep a team in Chi its big enough that another team could have a niche, as for Hart, Milw, Clev, StP, I wouldn't , but its up to you. Green Bay and Duluth are both a little small as well.

Chicago is definitely big enough to have multiple teams. Theres already 2 AHL teams and I have seen fans from both. And an upcoming ECHL team. Technically none of the teams from the AHL/ECHL are in Chicago, but they are located within Chicagoland ('burbs)

So wait... is this a minor league or is it one that's competing with the NHL. If it's a minor league and you wish to avoid established AHL teams, you're gonna be forced into some very tiny cities.

Is Hartford big enough to support an AHL team and another pro team? Also, all these cities are bigger than Halifax and Saskatoon, so thats why I considered them, also Minnesota is hockey CRAZY! Here is an update of the divisional alignment though:

West Division:

Alaska Blizzard (Anchorage)

Vancouver Rockies

Seattle Totems

Portland Huskies

Utah Grizzlies

Saskatoon Stampede

Las Vegas Aces

Phoenix Road Runners (Glendale)

Central Division:

Madison Muskies

Louisville Derby

Lexington War Admirals

Indianapolis Racers

Omaha Knights

Iowa

Kansas City Cougars

Aurora Lights HC

East Division:

New England Eagles (Hartford)

Metro HC (East Rutherford)

Long Island Charles Wang's

Hamilton Steel Dogs

Quebec Voyageurs

Halifax Mariners

So wait... is this a minor league or is it one that's competing with the NHL. If it's a minor league and you wish to avoid established AHL teams, you're gonna be forced into some very tiny cities.

Pretty much the same level as the KHL. It would be a league ment to give players a chance to play in North America rather than Europe and to give more stability to players that are bouncing around from the NHL to AHL and from team to team. It would compete mostly with the KHL, but also partly with the the NHL and AHL. I will try to avoid established NHL and AHL teams but I will mostly try to put teams in some "real" hockey markets.

I have updated the East Division and some ideas for logos

East Division:

New England Eagles (Hartford)

New York Metro HC (Brooklyn) I'm thinking something like this: http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/54/82/full/681.gif

New Jersey (East Rutherford)

Hamilton Steel Dogs

Quebec Voyageurs Something like this: http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/36/926/full/4515.gif

Halifax Mariners Something like this: http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/2/545/full/uzzkr4m1cj1fff2ap9u0f8g8a.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived