Why is NFL Network using this Chargers bolt in its draft coverage?

Jungle Jim

The shield's not good, but the Idea is solid. And the Chargers are in dire need of a primary logo.

The Vikings and Eagles have always known it, and the Rams recently remembered: you need a logo that can stand on its own without the helmet.

Well, other than the current logo, what else could one realistically do with the name "Chargers"? The shield logo is too Raiders-esque and the Broncos already have a monopoly on horse logos.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple solution for the Chargers: some sort of interlocking "SD" with a lightning-like theme. I've seen a few concepts here that have featured something of the sort for the Chargers, and all were executed well. I don't see why that couldn't work.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Simple solution for the Chargers: some sort of interlocking "SD" with a lightning-like theme. I've seen a few concepts here that have featured something of the sort for the Chargers, and all were executed well. I don't see why that couldn't work.

Nike had a logo like that for San Diego about 10 years ago. Used mostly on hats, similar to the New England "NE" logo. I think Schottenheimer used to wear it a lot.

And why not used an updated version of this?

fcanj8z9shiwxxhlro8r0azl8.gif

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nike had a logo like that for San Diego about 10 years ago. Used mostly on hats, similar to the New England "NE" logo. I think Schottenheimer used to wear it a lot.

You mean this?

SD_blue.gif

I don't think it's strong enough to be a primary logo.

xLmjWVv.png

And why not used an updated version of this?

fcanj8z9shiwxxhlro8r0azl8.gif

I'm with Lights Out in that I'm not a fan of the shield horse logo, but if it had to come back I would prefer this version.

You mean this?

SD_blue.gif

I don't think it's strong enough to be a primary logo.

Yeah that's the one. Good find.

The Raiders do not have a monopoly on shields, nor do the Broncos on all horse imagery. It's certainly possible to create a primary logo using one or both of those.

Or a good designer could start from scratch. But they have to do something.

I have a problem. I love the horse/shield concept for San Diego. However, I also rip on the Rays for using both a "ray of sunshine" and a ray "fish" as imagery, because they seemingly can't pick one.

I think the horse/shield logo works because it gives them a mascot (horse with knight on it) but then they're back to being in the same category as the Rays, so I have to be against it. Damn rules.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Raiders do not have a monopoly on shields, nor do the Broncos on all horse imagery.

Fair enough, but they do share a division with the Chargers. It would be like the Vikings deciding on a bear who works as a meat-packer beating the crap out of a lion as their primary logo - they'd just never do it. It's never a good idea to look like the teams you're supposed to hate, and that's exactly what the Chargers would be doing if they ever went back to the shield logo or chose a horse-related logo.

xLmjWVv.png

The Raiders do not have a monopoly on shields, nor do the Broncos on all horse imagery.

Fair enough, but they do share a division with the Chargers. It would be like the Vikings deciding on a bear who works as a meat-packer beating the crap out of a lion as their primary logo - they'd just never do it. It's never a good idea to look like the teams you're supposed to hate, and that's exactly what the Chargers would be doing if they ever went back to the shield logo or chose a horse-related logo.

If they had no history of a shield or horse, then I'd say that your argument about the other teams in the division is valid. As it stands though, I think that they're fine with going back to a concept that worked. Just like in the AFC East - had the Bills not played so many years with a white helmet, then I'd say it's ridiculous to introduce one when the rest of the division wears them. As is though, it's fine, and gives the division a collective identity (sort of.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's true that they had a history with the shield and the horse, but they've used the helmet bolt as their logo in some fashion (with or without the helmet) for much longer. Also, the bolt logo is associated with Dan Fouts and Don Coryell, the '94 Super Bowl run, Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison, LT, Philip Rivers, etc.

I just don't see the fanbase supporting the change if the shield were to come back.

xLmjWVv.png

If the fans are that fickle then there's a bigger issue than just the shield and horse logo.

EDIT: Nevermind. Fans have a strong part in determining whether a new logo is successful.

I don't see that your hypothetical has any merit, since the Patriots have never used either Kelly green or a buffalo logo in the past. In this case, we're talking about the Chargers reclaiming their own iconography. There's a huge difference.

The better AFC East example was already raised: the Bills could now be accused of copying a signature look of the Dolphins and Jets (divisional rivals) by adopting a white helmet. But they won't be, because the Bills have an historical claim to it.

And really? The Raiders own shields? Somebody tell the NFL, they better change the league logo.

I like the current primary Chargers logo. It might not work in certain other leagues as a primary, but the NFL is known at this point for having a majority of somewhat simple wordless and letterless symbols as primary logos. The standalone bolt looks cool and tough IMO.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Design a good shield logo, with a horse that doesn't look like the Broncos's helmet logo, and you're fine.

A good designer could easily do it.

Maybe the solution to that problem is to use an entire horse (with or without a rider) . . . think Tampa Bay Bandits or Birmingham Stallions.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Raiders don't own shields period. They own shields in the AFC West.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think either one of us is going to convince the other at this point.

Sorry I think it's wise to look as different from your most hated arch-rival as humanly possible.

Gee, I would think that the radically different color schemes, helmet treatments and uniform schemes would sufficiently accomplish that. Still don't think the shape of the primary logo's outline really would make the Bolts suddenly look like the Raiders.

Archived