Advice on fansite design

CS85

I don't want this to feel like I'm hawking my site, but I'm a co-owner of BearsFansOnline.com and I'm working on updating the look of the page. We're currently just a message board but the other owner and I are going to be expanding to a main page soon and I want to make the look more professional and sleek.

For awhile we've used a sloppy version of the scripted bears "B" as our logo, as part of the change for the update I made my own script B based off the original and integrated it within a circle (ala the @ symbol) to make it a bit more unique and work as a play off the site name.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where to go with the look and I wanted some advice, here's 2 banners I've made and my membership is somewhat torn on which to choose. Any advice would be welcome regarding the layout or the logo.

1)

21487564.jpg

2)

bfobanner1.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Dang, that's tough. They're both great, which makes it tough. You should show us what both options would look like on the main page for easier comparison.

The thing is that I'm going to base the rest of the website/message board on which look we end up using. If you go to the site now you can see it's a really dark navy, kind of beat up looking. The color scheme would stay but I'm going to make the rest of the page a bit less busy. Thanks for the compliment as well!

Version 1 is beautiful!

Actually, that's exactly the kind of thing HogsHaven could use! Some shiny...

If HogsHaven or any site wants banners or whatever, I'd be happy to draw something up for them. And thanks :)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Dang, that's tough. They're both great, which makes it tough. You should show us what both options would look like on the main page for easier comparison.

The thing is that I'm going to base the rest of the website/message board on which look we end up using. If you go to the site now you can see it's a really dark navy, kind of beat up looking. The color scheme would stay but I'm going to make the rest of the page a bit less busy. Thanks for the compliment as well!

Yeah, I visited the site and noticed the cluttering as well. That being said, I would probably go with the option 2. It could really tone things down. Right now, the site is really hard on the eyes and, as you said, cluttered looking.

25yzwqg.png

Yeah, I visited the site and noticed the cluttering as well. That being said, I would probably go with the option 2. It could really tone things down. Right now, the site is really hard on the eyes and, as you said, cluttered looking.

Indeed, I can't wait to clean it up and give it some polish. It's one of those things that is going to be almost a complete overhaul of all the buttons, backgrounds, etc so it could be a project. Ultimately, however the choice is going to be up to them. Personally I wouldn't mind having both a dark and a light forum skin but that's double the work for what I'd only like to do once. Dark is superior, IMHO, but i could always use the lighter banner in a darker forum, so...yeah. A lot to decide I guess.

twitter

Indeed, I can't wait to clean it up and give it some polish. It's one of those things that is going to be almost a complete overhaul of all the buttons, backgrounds, etc so it could be a project. Ultimately, however the choice is going to be up to them. Personally I wouldn't mind having both a dark and a light forum skin but that's double the work for what I'd only like to do once. Dark is superior, IMHO, but i could always use the lighter banner in a darker forum, so...yeah. A lot to decide I guess.

That crossed my mind, too. You could do what we do here. You could use option 1 on the top, and make the rest white. But, as you said, there is indeed a lot to decide.

25yzwqg.png

Yup option 1 it should be!

If you want, we are in need of a new corner logo (hogshaven.com). I would love to see what you can come up with!

A couple notices... It cannot use official markings (part of a large blogging community that gets a lot of attention) from the teams.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

If you want, we are in need of a new corner logo (hogshaven.com). I would love to see what you can come up with!

A couple notices... It cannot use official markings (part of a large blogging community that gets a lot of attention) from the teams.

Send me a PM regarding further details and I'll try to make something for ya.

And on topic, I think option 1 is going to be the choice, but I'm going to refine it a bit and make things perhaps a bit lighter. Thanks for all your input.

twitter

And on topic, I think option 1 is going to be the choice, but I'm going to refine it a bit and make things perhaps a bit lighter. Thanks for all your input.

Cool ill get a fanpost going and see what people want. Do you follow the bears sbnation blog?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Cool ill get a fanpost going and see what people want. Do you follow the bears sbnation blog?

I personally don't but I'm sure some of the people on my board do.

twitter

After talking it over with my co-owner and the members, taking the feedback from this thread as well, I've decided to go with the dark scheme. I drew up a basic concept of the look that the forum will embrace here in a week or two. I appreciate all your feedback.

layoutwz.jpg

twitter

After talking it over with my co-owner and the members, taking the feedback from this thread as well, I've decided to go with the dark scheme. I drew up a basic concept of the look that the forum will embrace here in a week or two. I appreciate all your feedback.

layoutwz.jpg

love it. i may have to copy that basic design for my site :)

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Archived