Hitting Your First Home Run

GriffinM6

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Slapshot doesn't have a sense of humor (or anything better to do)....

T-ball league when I was 5 years old. Last game of the season. On your first two strikes, your coach tosses the ball underhanded to you, and so you avoid striking out, you get the ball placed on the tee.

I don't remember the game situation, but I hit the homer on one of the pitches that the coach pitches you. It went over the left-field fence, just over the gate where the riding mowers (I assumed) would enter so they can mow the grass. I originally thought that the ball went through the gate, but it went over.

I've only hit one and it was a company baseball game. It's hard to describe, having never done it in a game before or since, but the only expression that came to mind was "I cranked the :censored: out of that." The thock sound and watching it fly out is great stuff, man.

Aside from countless (and worthless :P) wiffleball "home runs" in my yard at home, I've only hit one sort-of home run in an actual game.

Allow me to explain.

It was my junior year in high school, and we were playing against one of our rivals, South Summit, at thier home field in tiny little Kamas, UT. Now, South Summit's field is very weird. They have an outfield fence...but it starts in left field and STOPS at center field. From center field all the way to the right field foul pole, there is absolutely no fence. Strange, right? Well, I'm a switch hitter, and there was a righty on the mound that day, so I batted lefty. I was the smallest kid on the team (think Phil Rizutto small. I was that kind of player), so I very rarely hit anything farther than a shallow gapper for a single. So, I was the kind of player that was just destined to never hit a homer. Anyways, I foul off the first pitch of the at-bat, a fastball down the middle. I guessed he'd throw a fastball high the zone, on the next pitch (because of my height), and I got the guess spot on, I took a hack at that thing, and it flew to right. I was half in shock, half thrilled. I didn't expect it to go extremely far, but it just kept going and going. Then finally, that speedy son-of-a-gun outfielder tracked it down - about ten feet past the foul pole. Thus, my teammates have called it the "sort-of homer", because had the fence actually been there like it was supposed to, it would have gone over. And yes, the rules for that particular field were that if it passed the foul pole in right field, it would have stayed in play, but it's still fun to think of what could have happened, either if the kid didn't track it down or if the darned fence was actually there.

I never came close to hitting another homer again in my varsity career. Three total years playing varsity from sophomore year to senior year, and not one (legitimate) homer. Oh well, I guess alot of steals, putouts, and outfield assists are an okay record, right? :)

Getting on the actual topic, I played 6 years of baseball (not counting another 4 years of church softball) and never hit a home run in a game.

Closest I ever got was a 3-run triple that hit about 3 feet below the outfield fence. Coach held me at third...I remember thinking that my first-ever home run was going to be a grand slam, then after seeing the ball hit the fence, that it was going to be an inside-the-park grand slam. I'm absolutely positive I could've legged it out, too.

Getting on the actual topic, I played 6 years of baseball (not counting another 4 years of church softball) and never hit a home run in a game.

Closest I ever got was a 3-run triple that hit about 3 feet below the outfield fence. Coach held me at third...I remember thinking that my first-ever home run was going to be a grand slam, then after seeing the ball hit the fence, that it was going to be an inside-the-park grand slam. I'm absolutely positive I could've legged it out, too.

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I hit it to dead center and it hit just below the top of the wall. I probably should have ran through the stop sign just to try for the inside the park grand slam. Besides that, I've only hit one over in batting practice.

My one and only legitimate home run came in my sophmore year. We were never really a baseball school, so naturally we were getting drubbed 10-0 in the bottom of the fifth. I came up with two on and two out. Coach, of course, was pretty pissed off by the amount of suckitude we were displaying that day and gave me some grand advice to the tune "Jesus Christ, just make some contact!" or something like that. Took the first pitch for a ball, fouled off the second, and took the third in the dirt. The kid left the fourth pitch, a mediocre fastball, up and over the plate. It didn't feel like I hit the ball. Just one of those times where it hits the sweet spot dead on and the sound is the only way you know you hit it. I watched the damn thing the whole way to first base as it sailed over the left field wall. Coach just kinda looked at me and laughed as I rounded third. That homer kept us from getting run ruled a sparked a comeback. I finished the day 3-5 with 6 RBI a HR and a 2B in an 11-10 loss. Word to wise, do not ever, EVER, pump your fist while rounding first base, even on your first home run. I caught :censored: for that the rest of the season.

Something tells me the first few posts were of the "Congrats for getting laid" variety.

Hit an HR huh? Pretty cool....I never did, but I did take a bat to my brother once.

My only home run was an inside-the-park HR... well, basically the field didn't have an outfield fence so I hit one in a gap and because of my speed I can round the bases quickly enough.

I was 12 years old at a tournament in Delaware. Short fences, nice complex, near the beach. Unfortunately, my team stunk. We scored 2 runs the entire tournament, one off a balk, one off my solo shot to left-center, and gave up about 30 in just 3 games. That was probably the only good thing I can remember about that tournament (or maybe even the entire 3 years I spent on that team).

What was it like? Well, it felt good and all, but it wasn't that great considering the 200 foot fences and the other team was using a kid that normally wouldn't pitch (they were winning by like 10).

I only hit two in 12 years of playing baseball. I was an awful hitter and the first one came when I was playing in a rec league after my 9th grade year. I was pretty happy to finally get one, but didn't feel much accomplishment because the field we were playing on wasn't very big. I think there were about 3 home runs a game in that league.

I decided to try out for the school team on a whim my junior year and made it, but never hit a home run in a game. I could always field and rarely made errors, but I couldn't hit at all. Most games I played at shortstop and got DH'd for. My senior year I did hit one in an intrasquad scrimmage off of our second worst pitcher (I was the worst) and I felt great rounding the bases until I looked up heading to third base to see that our head coach had his back turned and was talking on his cellphone. It was the moment where I finally proved I belonged at the plate and the dumbass wasn't even looking.

Not to sound like Nick, but My freshman year I hit a grand slam in the regionals. It was to straight away center, over a snow fence, it would have been caught at any other field, and it was disputed, I actually stopped at 2nd. The baseball gods took it back my junior year though when I hit the farthest ball I've ever hit (it had to be over 400) and cause this team had no fence the center fielder caught it. Great catch by him but any other field we played on it would have been long gone.

However I hit 1 or 2 every other year and most of those were "no doubters." Except I didn't know it cause I was always sprinting to 1st. Only one I trotted right away. The rest I didn't know it was out until my teammates were cheering. I never hit one at home in a game though cause we had a near MLB sized field (330 to Left, 360 to LC, 399 Center, 350 RC, 300 to Right)

Hit a couple in softball but most of the time its an out and 2 runs for the other team in our leagues. I think only 1 or 2 of them have actually counted.

We played one time on a super short field my senior year. It was a double header so of course dumbass 18 year old Pat tries to hit one every single time up. I think I hit 5 sky high pop flies and the other team was pretty terrible so I ended up on second 3 or 4 of them. Didn't hit a single ball out of the infield that day. A kid on our team that had 1 hit his whole career hit one that day. It was his only hit in HS ball and it was a opposite field home run...how bout that?

It's certainly a thrill. the best part is you almost always hit them so well that you don't even feel it.

Word to wise, do not ever, EVER, pump your fist while rounding first base, even on your first home run. I caught :censored: for that the rest of the season.

You should've seen me actually. I took off running, thinking it was a double, then it went over. I went past first saying "suck it!", then as I approached 3rd base I did my Jared Allen pepper grinder thing. Then as I went for home, I jumped up and slammed on home plate.The umpire warned me for saying "Suck it!" after though.The homer put us ahead by a run, and we scored 4 more that inning and won.

Archived