Bruins and Celtics logos behind the plate at Fenway

Anubis2051

I was watching baseball tonight and noticed that the Red Sox have placed the Celtics and Bruins logos behind home plate, along with the phrase "Good Luck!"

I attempted to find a picture but was unsuccessful.

Has anything like this every happened before? Seams strange. I mean, what if someone's a sox fan but not a fan of the other two teams? I get that they're from the same town, and believe me I think you should only root for teams from your home town, but it just feels weird.

Anubis.png

I was watching baseball tonight and noticed that the Red Sox have placed the Celtics and Bruins logos behind home plate, along with the phrase "Good Luck!"

I attempted to find a picture but was unsuccessful.

Has anything like this every happened before? Seams strange. I mean, what if someone's a sox fan but not a fan of the other two teams? I get that they're from the same town, and believe me I think you should only root for teams from your home town, but it just feels weird.

I don't think it's weird that one sports team is rooting for it's counterparts from the same city.

If you're a Sox fan and you don't like the other two teams, then I guess you'll still be a Sox fan. You don't have to root for the other two teams just because you attend a Sox game.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There's been a lot of cross sport promotion in Boston over the past few years. It think it started when the Patriots won the Super Bowl three times and brought the trophy to Fenway and threw out the first pitch. Then when the Sox won the World Series twice they brought the trophy to The Garden a few times. Then the Celtics won and they share The Garden with the Bruins so that has upped the pressure on them. Plus when all three teams won their championships they had their parades on the same "Ducks", the amphibious vehicles. The championships have really rejuvenated the city as well. It's gotten cleaner, Fenway looks magnificent now. It's all good.

The Phillies have these for sale (pic courtesy of UW):

5678371022_8af8b91877_o.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am hardly a Red Sox fan, but I think the idea is a great one. I believe teams in the same town that aren't really competing with one another (at least not on the field) can develop a nice synergy among the overall fanbase by acknowledging one another in this way.

The Orioles hardly acknowledged that the Ravens existed for a long time. However, they had a combined Orioles/Ravens day on NFL draft day a few years ago and gave away these hats.

1_157740fe9cc9af64f19836a2624da101.jpg

I believe this picture was from the same event.

ravens_250x175.jpg

I went to a Ravens game 1-2 years ago and the Oriole Bird was walking through the tailgate area in the same Ravens jersey. I don't remember if he was also inside the stadium.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I vaguely remember the Indians having a "Good Luck, Cavs!" banner outside their stadium (the two teams' buildings are part of the same complex) during the NBA playoffs a few years ago, but I certainly don't remember anything inside the park, like what Boston has on the backstop at Fenway. That's pretty cool.

Surprised to see so many crossovers, are there any we haven't discussed?

I guess I just find it weird because I'm from New York and we have so many options:

1. Yankees Giants Knicks Rangers

2. Yankees Giants Knicks Devils

3. Yankees Giants Knicks Islanders

4. Yankees Giants Nets Rangers

5. Yankees Giants Nets Devils

6. Yankees Giants Nets Islanders

7. Yankees Jets Knicks Rangers

8. Yankees Jets Knicks Devils

9. Yankees Jets Knicks Islanders

10. Yankees Jets Nets Rangers

11. Yankees Jets Nets Devils

12. Yankees Jets Nets Islanders

13. Mets Giants Knicks Rangers

14. Mets Giants Knicks Devils

15. Mets Giants Knicks Islanders

16. Mets Giants Nets Rangers

17. Mets Giants Nets Devils

18. Mets Giants Nets Islanders

19. Mets Jets Knicks Rangers

20. Mets Jets Knicks Devils

21. Mets Jets Knicks Islanders

22. Mets Jets Nets Rangers

23. Mets Jets Nets Devils

24. Mets Jets Nets Islanders

24 combinations and thats just complete sets of 4. It would be impossible for one team to support another without risking alienating some of your own fans. I guess in a town like Boston you can do something like this without risking offending a major part of your fanbase.

Anubis.png

I always lumped the Yankees, Giants, and Rangers in one group and the Mets, Jets, and Islanders in the other. I guess with the Nets moving to Brooklyn they'll join the Mets, Jets, and Islanders while the Knicks join the Yankees, Giants, and Rangers.

I guess I just find it weird because I'm from New York and we have so many options:

1. Yankees Giants Knicks Rangers

2. Yankees Giants Knicks Devils

3. Yankees Giants Knicks Islanders

4. Yankees Giants Nets Rangers

5. Yankees Giants Nets Devils

6. Yankees Giants Nets Islanders

7. Yankees Jets Knicks Rangers

8. Yankees Jets Knicks Devils

9. Yankees Jets Knicks Islanders

10. Yankees Jets Nets Rangers

11. Yankees Jets Nets Devils

12. Yankees Jets Nets Islanders

13. Mets Giants Knicks Rangers

14. Mets Giants Knicks Devils

15. Mets Giants Knicks Islanders

16. Mets Giants Nets Rangers

17. Mets Giants Nets Devils

18. Mets Giants Nets Islanders

19. Mets Jets Knicks Rangers

20. Mets Jets Knicks Devils

21. Mets Jets Knicks Islanders

22. Mets Jets Nets Rangers

23. Mets Jets Nets Devils

24. Mets Jets Nets Islanders

24 combinations and thats just complete sets of 4. It would be impossible for one team to support another without risking alienating some of your own fans. I guess in a town like Boston you can do something like this without risking offending a major part of your fanbase.

Sweet lord. Even the Oregon Ducks players couldn't handle that many combinations.

I think you missed the point...

The Red Sox are wishing the teams good luck because they're playoff season coincides with the Red Sox regular season. Add the fact that NESN, which covers the Red Sox, is also the official station of the Bruins as well, so there is an unofficial partnership between those two teams.

Didn't any of the NY Giants get to throw out a first pitch at a Yankees or Mets game the following season?

This is not alienating any particular team, it's just wishing good luck to those that are in the playoffs.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

My uncle (who is only a few years older than me) had a theory that teams from the same city can have a positive and negative effect on one another and cited various economic, competitive, superficial, and intangible reasons in a paper he wrote for college. I know he used the late 80's Bengals-Reds as an example and I think he used the late 90's Broncos-Avalanche and the 2000's Patriots-Red Sox-Celtics as an example. He got pretty deep into it, comparing population density, economic climates, unemployment in the city, whether the players from the different teams hung out with each other. It was a pretty good read. I'm gonna see if I can find that.

As for this, it feels pretty natural for teams in the different sports (which are all the top league in the world) to associate with one-another and root each other on. I don't find anything strange about it at all. It would be weird though if say, the White Sox hung a "Good Luck Cubs" banner outside US Cellular.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think you missed the point...

The Red Sox are wishing the teams good luck because they're playoff season coincides with the Red Sox regular season. Add the fact that NESN, which covers the Red Sox, is also the official station of the Bruins as well, so there is an unofficial partnership between those two teams.

Didn't any of the NY Giants get to throw out a first pitch at a Yankees or Mets game the following season?

This is not alienating any particular team, it's just wishing good luck to those that are in the playoffs.

Throwing out a first pitch is decidedly different then slapping a logo on the field of play.

Anubis.png

Archived