Your Favorie Teams... Why?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the A's said SCREW YOU TOO!

There...now y'all are even. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGH--ehh, what the hell...I'm fighting a losing battle here. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

High School -

Boaz Pirates - The local team, plus it's where all of my eduction took place.

Hoover (AL) Bucs - My dad knows the former coach (Rush Propst) personally because he used to coach in Ashville (east of the Birmingham metro), where my dad had his restaurants. I was excited for the school when Two-A-Days premiered on MTV.

College -

Alabama Crimson Tide - My family are all Tide fans. My dad's always been a fan, and both my mom and my older sister went there for their master's and undergraduate studies, respectfully.

Jacksonville State Gamecocks - My mom went there for her undergraduate studies, and their basketball court (Pete Mathews Coliseum) is where our HS basketball teams go for playoffs, and that's always a nice trip.

Eastern Washington Eagles - Even though I've never set foot in the state of Washington, I like that they're a small school, along with the red turf, and also because of this video:

and the local report about it:

I also like their logo.

North Alabama Lions - One of our high school's best QBs went on to play for them and before that, they were the first football team to have three consecutive national championships (1993-1995) in the modern era of NCAA. Plus, in high school, I went there twice, and both times were band-related (They have a really good marching band, as well). The first time was to march on the field, and another time was to perform our spring concert for a competition. Didn't get to see the live lion mascots, but the campus is pretty, even though it rained both times.

Pro - (My family doesn't watch a lot of pro sports, and I'll watch some, but not enough to be hooked on a team, so with that in mind)

- NFL -

New England Patriots - On a road trip throughout the Northeast U.S. (NJ to Maine), I saw Gillette Stadium and liked the fact that it was off U.S. Hwy. 1 and I liked how it looked. This was before Patriot Place (?) was constructed. I also like that Belichick is friends with Saban, and that they're of Croatian descent, even though I'm not Croatian myself. (I loved Boston, BTW, because of the history and it was just pretty that day)

New York Jets - On the same road trip, I saw Giants Stadium, but didn't like it as much as Gillette Stadium. What sold them for me was that Joe Namath played for them, and their current coach.

Green Bay Packers - I like the ownership model, and how they have 13 championships like the Tide.

Baltimore Ravens - They draft some Tide players, and I just like everything about the team.

- NHL -

Montreal Canadiens - I like that they have 24 championships, and I just like their history.

Quebec Nordiques - I watched Just Another Job on YouTube, and really liked it. (The film is about their debut game in WHA and the events leading up to it)

- CFL -

Montreal Alouettes - I like that they have a intimate stadium for their regular games, and a big stadium for their playoff games.

Saskatchewan Roughriders - I love their crazy fans, and that they're fan-owned (like Green Bay).

Neither I or my family watch any MLB (although Dad used to be a Atlanta Braves fan) or NBA.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

My friends have always treated my aversion to the NBA as if it's this bizarre thing like I'm the first person they've ever met that didn't like basketball. Reading this thread, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I don't hate the NBA, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch a game. Maybe it'll be different next year now that I have a favorite team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My friends have always treated my aversion to the NBA as if it's this bizarre thing like I'm the first person they've ever met that didn't like basketball. Reading this thread, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I don't hate the NBA, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch a game. Maybe it'll be different next year now that I have a favorite team.

I just can't get into basketball. It's not that I don't like it or don't like playing it, but I can't stand watching it. It reminds me of NASCAR. Because, just like NASCAR, the rest of the game doesn't matter until the last half or quarter.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I just can't get into basketball. It's not that I don't like it or don't like playing it, but I can't stand watching it. It reminds me of NASCAR. Because, just like NASCAR, the rest of the game doesn't matter until the last half or quarter.

You and me both. I started a thing where I support an NBA team for a purely random reason. It was Milwaukee this year since I liked that Jennings-Borgut Luke Cage & Iron Fist cover in ESPN Magazine.

soundersbanner.png

Been a Redskins fan all my life living in Washington. My dad was grew up near Dallas, but was 15 when the Cowboys moved in. He was never really a fan, and since he's lived in DC since 72, he's partial to the Redskins. His younger brothers however... I love our family get togethers!

Nationals... loved baseball as a little kid, and when we got our team I was so happy. Now that they are OK this year, I'm going to a game almost every weekend (walking distance from mmy house) with friends.

Caps because their in DC... ya

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Oshawa Generals: Grew up in Oshawa, and my Dad and I would hit the arena most Friday and Sunday nights to catch the home games. Saw a lot of action at teh Civic and GM center since 1992, players like Lindros, Arnott, Brathwaite, Yelle, Savard, Allen, Horton, Nolan, Ranger, Eager, Tavares, Del Zotto, Thomas and such go through. What more can I say? They're My hometown team.

Toronto Blue Jays: Again, with Dad, he got tickets donated at work, we'd ride the train into Toronto and meet him at the Dome. The Jays won the back to back World Series when I was in Gardes 4 and 5 and I've been hooked since. Nothing beats a sunny afternoon at the ballpark.

Montreal Canadiens: My father promised me a buck everytime I would beat Montreal on the Blades of Steel game he bought me. So, I played as Montreal and though Hey, these guys aren't bad. I was the Habs fan, my brother was a Leafs fan, and Dad was rooting for Boston. I don't think he ever quite got over this one though.

Toronto Maple elafs: Yes, I know, you can't like both, but going away to University, living with dozens of Leafs fans with no other Habs fans around, I grew a soft spot for the Leafs, and now have several leaf sweaters in my closet with all the Montreal shirts.

Denver Broncos: I'm not too hardcore about the NFL, I see it as an excuse to have a beer on the weekend with my buddies, and footbal only requests your attention for 15 second blocks of time so you can actually have a conversation. I liked Denver's colours and logo, and they had just won the Super Bowl. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I see where WildWing is coming from as far as not liking his nations "national sport". I fell out of love with the NFL a few years ago, and have never gone back, which is why I am a former Redskins fan.

For me it was more of a case of a very brief childhood fandom phase. After that I just never got into football again, and these days I find everything from the culture, hooliganism, excessive glorifying, excessive media hype and classless players to be very off putting. I don't even root for the England national team when they are playing and make a vain attempt at hiding under a rock instead.

That and I find the North American sports to be more interesting ;)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I see where WildWing is coming from as far as not liking his nations "national sport". I fell out of love with the NFL a few years ago, and have never gone back, which is why I am a former Redskins fan.

For me it was more of a case of a very brief childhood fandom phase. After that I just never got into football again, and these days I find everything from the culture, hooliganism, excessive glorifying, excessive media hype and classless players to be very off putting. I don't even root for the England national team when they are playing and make a vain attempt at hiding under a rock instead.

As a random note upon noticing your location (and I might have mentioned this before), but I live in Fishers, Indiana, and as you might know, my town and Billericay are sister cities. Our baseball park's even called Billericay Park. :P

6fQjS3M.png

NFL: The reason I root for the Baltimore Ravens is because at the time they moved to Baltimore, the closest team was the Skins & Norv Turner was their coach. It's no secret that I think Norv is an awful coach & should never be a head coach. Plus with my dad being from Baltimore, it seemed like a great fit.

NHL: The Caps simply because they were close plus the Rengades were their affiliate back in the ECHL when Hampton Roads moved up to the AHL.

MLB: Atlanta because we had the "Baby Braves" for many seasons so I grew up watching most of those guys who played in Richmond, I even remember Javy Lopez & Marcus Giles playing for them. Baltimore because my dad grew up watching them & wanted to do the same plus one of my favorite players of all time... Cal Ripken Jr.

baltimoreravens.png

Teams I am I diehard fan of:

- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Lightning, and Rays: My dad was in the US Coast Guard, so until the age of 13 we moved around relatively every 3 years to different locales, so it wasn't until 1997 when we ended up north of Tampa and have been here ever since. I pretty much consider this area my hometown as its the place where I have lived the longest and am still here to this day.

- South Florida Bulls: Intended to graduate from college there, attended for 2 years before transferring to a smaller university. Still enjoy college athletics.

I grew up a fan of the Pistons, Lions, Tigers and Michigan Wolverines. My secondary teams for sports are

NBA- New York Knicks: I have always been attracted to their team since I was little and stuck with it.

NFL- Indianapolis Colts: I need to have one good team, don't I? :P

MLB- Chicago Cubs: My uncle moved there and when I visited Wrigley, it gave me a lot of respect for the franchise.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

It was exactly that for me for the NFL. I was raised into the Redskins, but once I kind of woke up about how boring the sport really is, I lost interest. I just never got into basketball either, although I watch some of the college game.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Another former favourite team of mine I forgot to mention:

The London Racers of the EIHL, which as some of you may or may not know have an "affiliation" with the NHL through website links. Like with the other more local hockey teams I have rooted for, I didn't learn of the existence of this team until after I became a Ducks fan (a testament as to how very little coverage ice hockey gets here in the UK). Granted, this team had a predecessor, the London Knights - not to be confused with the OHL team - but I found out about them too late, plus the Knights folded when the Superleague disbanded and the Elite League Racers were formed in their place. As the nearest EIHL team, I picked the Racers as my team despite their obviously Red Wings-inspired look... but I never got around to seeing any of their games and they folded early in the 2005-06 season :rolleyes:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

While I certainly wouldn't consider them a "favorite" team, nor do I support it as a long-term big-league city (though I'll concede that it's far better than the current alternative), I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Winnipeg Jets, because my 4th-grade floor hockey team was called the Jets, and all I ever wanted was a Jets jersey to wear when we played. Alas, back in 1988, those were seemingly impossible to find. I also always wanted to go see the Flyers play the Jets, but they always played on a weeknight, which back then made it prohibitive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

MLB - Phillies born and raised in northeastern PA. My first baseball experience was in 1993 when i went to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons game. What got me hooked was that after the game, about 2 weeks later one of the players (I believe Kevin Stocker) got called up to play in Philadelphia and i thought that was the coolest thing. It didn't hurt that the Phils were good that year too.

NFL - Cowboys My dad is a diehard fan, so i became a fan as well. Again because of the run in the early 90's i got hooked. But i have stuck with them ever since.

NHL - Flyers Was able to watch most Flyers games on tv, easy to become a fan that way

NBA - Hate NBA basketball but if i would have to pick a team (Bulls, because of Michael Jordan, or The Mavericks, just because i like Mark Cuban)

NASCAR - Kevin Harvick (always liked RCR racing...was a Johnny Benson fan until he lost his ride so i migrated to Harvick.

Archived