The NHL presents...the Baltimore Skipjacks

BrianVlietDesign

The original jerseys look washed out with the copious amount of silver and thin white stripes. Slight black accents would go a long way to creating some much needed contrast. Maybe also try getting a little more creative with the striping. Traditional always looks good but when you're an expansion or relocated franchise you need to think a little out of box to draw in fans and get merch sales. Think Avalanche, Coyotes, and Hurricanes (inaugural designs).

Also the green works better than the tan.

You make a good point. I'll head back to the drawing board on these and try to pump something out over the weekend.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Nice job on the concept! I'm just curious, but is there any reason you didn't go with black, red and yellow, the colors of the MD flag? I'd think that color set would really work with a Baltimore team, particularly since neither of the city's current pro teams use it. Maybe something closer to the yellow and black with red accents since the Caps are all over the color red.

Nice job on the concept! I'm just curious, but is there any reason you didn't go with black, red and yellow, the colors of the MD flag? I'd think that color set would really work with a Baltimore team, particularly since neither of the city's current pro teams use it. Maybe something closer to the yellow and black with red accents since the Caps are all over the color red.

Not particularly. I just always thought green was one of those colors the NHL never uses to its true potential and I remember the old Skipjacks used green for a short bit. I just made the connection. I do like the idea of red, black, and yellow. It would kinda be late '70s 'Nucks looking.

Stick with the green, as you stated it is not used enough in the NHL to it's full potential.

I think you're doing the right thing you are taking on board constructive critism (help)and working with it.

Personally i like the Uniforms the way they are.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

And if they had a Baltimore-Washington partnership, that would potentially save the Caps 2 hours more of travel time between affiliates.

No, it would be saving only one hour and it's still not worth breaking up the most prosperous AHL-NHL partnership there is.

As for the concept, I think you have a nice start. I think there's too much silver on the home, but definitely stay with the color scheme. Just add some more white to the home. Keep the Skipjacks name because of the history, the younger folk (DeFrank) just weren't alive for their existence. Good job

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

I like them, but I think there is one stripe too many on the sleeve and hemline.

I would leave the cuff and first silver stripe (green on the away), but take the third stripe off. It starts to really cramp the crest and numbers.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Not a whole lot of originality with the project. Oh and they have been talking of building a new Arena in Baltimore for about 40 years.

Gee, thanks. Considering I spent about 3-4 hours on rebranding a crappy logo, using colors that the NHL rarely see (and should start seeing more of), and went with my best judgment based upon how new clubs in the past have looked when they enter into the NHL. I may be blowing that comment way out of proportion, but it irritates me that I put work into something for a good amount of time and I receive a comment saying the project has "not a whole lot of originality".

3-4 Hours really...wow! Look you took a logo that was used before by 2 different versions of the Skipjacks and cleaned them up a bit. Hell I doubt you even knew why they were named the Skipjacks in the first place. And 3-4 hours...there are guys that spend days...even weeks working on a project. It lacks creativity, sorry if I hurt your feelings. Try to be creative with the Skipjack...do some research...be unique. Call it what it is, a tweak of the early 80's Skipjack logo.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Not a whole lot of originality with the project. Oh and they have been talking of building a new Arena in Baltimore for about 40 years.

Gee, thanks. Considering I spent about 3-4 hours on rebranding a crappy logo, using colors that the NHL rarely see (and should start seeing more of), and went with my best judgment based upon how new clubs in the past have looked when they enter into the NHL. I may be blowing that comment way out of proportion, but it irritates me that I put work into something for a good amount of time and I receive a comment saying the project has "not a whole lot of originality".

3-4 Hours really...wow! Look you took a logo that was used before by 2 different versions of the Skipjacks and cleaned them up a bit. Hell I doubt you even knew why they were named the Skipjacks in the first place. And 3-4 hours...there are guys that spend days...even weeks working on a project. It lacks creativity, sorry if I hurt your feelings. Try to be creative with the Skipjack...do some research...be unique. Call it what it is, a tweak of the early 80's Skipjack logo.

Yeah, 3-4 hours on the whole project. The logo took me an hour and a half. You try putting thought into an old, boring logo, construct different pieces together, mend them, and make something new out of it. While it is a rebranded version of the old '80s logo, it is considerably different. The sticks are fashioned into a new look, the shape of the wheel has been altered, the handles are more simple and less complex, anchors have been added on the sides, there is more readable and appealing font, etc. I hardly think this is a "tweak". And to answer your statement, yes, I knew what a skipjack was before I did this project. Thanks for insulting my intelligence, too. I don't see why rebranding an old emblem is such a bad thing. Especially since it is something that we're starting to see a lot of in sports. Paying homage to the past while moving forward into the future. My whole rationality behind my frustration towards your first comment was because you failed to offer any constructive criticism towards my work. You just flat out insulted it by calling it a lack of originality. I don't give a darn if that's what you think, I can take it. But, at least offer up some ideas on what I could do to make it more presentable, don't just completely dismiss my creative thought and work.

Archived