Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

The logos are actually pretty decent. But the uniforms are a joke. Why, WHY, would you replicate those awful stripe unis. WHY do they need to come back for another reign of terror and repulsion. Look at them. :censored:ing look at them. They're :censored:ing terrible. Some of the most hideous uniforms in all of sports. The guy who thought up the original design should be kicked in the balls.

:censored:ing sick of the pansy-ass designers in this league who always need to go retro. One, most of the 'retro' uniforms are awful (course most of us are too busy jerking off in the past to realize it). Two, you did absolutely no work by just switching back to the old uni template, and just changing up the script, slapping the alt logo on there somewhere, and a couple other subtleties. Zero creativity. Third, empty traditions are stupid enough as is, but they get even more ludicrous in these situations, when a franchise like Washington has almost nothing in their to look back and smile on, pretty much no way to justify updating these atrocities.

Logos - B, Uniforms - F minus minus, overall D minus. Rant over.

So, you're harping on a lack of creativity, yet they're wearing a uniform that is unlike any in the NBA right now? The wordmarks are nothing to write home about, but the uniform itself is one of the best in the league. I'mnot feeling the blue pinstripe up the side and I think they could have done the shorts a little differently, but this is a bold, iconic and unique uniform in the NBA.

Also, the designers don't write the brief and decide to go retro. The team writes a brief and the designers explore all options, including retro, modern and everything in between over the entire course of development.

Why don't you show us your end-all, be-all Wizards concept and we can talk.

OH SNAP!!!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised, the same owner probably used the same design team.

Same team, different designers.

Are you part of the design team? If so, kudos, it was a great job.

Yes I am... I designed the Monument Ball logo. I won't lie, I had some help along the way to push it beyond the original concept.

I'm glad to see it's been received so well... Thanks everyone!

its one of the best designs in the nba now, in my opinion!

spacer.png

spacer.png

You know what I think the absolute key is that makes these work? The fact that's it's basically just one stripe plus the yoke. As opposed to the multiple thinner stripes on the other (I guess only 2 stripes, but still.) I think this resolves what I found ugly about the old ones, while still making it a great homage! It improves on the old ones.

The old ones looked too much like old men's bathing suits. The problem is now solved.ResizedImage200316-1910.jpg

You know what I think the absolute key is that makes these work? The fact that's it's basically just one stripe plus the yoke. As opposed to the multiple thinner stripes on the other (I guess only 2 stripes, but still.) I think this resolves what I found ugly about the old ones, while still making it a great homage! It improves on the old ones.

The old ones looked too much like old men's bathing suits. The problem is now solved.ResizedImage200316-1910.jpg

I also thought the old ones looked like something a clown would wear. They worked in the '70's because back then people (both in sports and just in general) actually dressed and even kind of had hair like clowns (on purpose). No way those would work today.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Damn, its pretty harsh. I felt very similar to the guy writing the article, but I still think the overall package is very good. I love the basketball logo, but I agree, it doesn't fit with anything else in the package. I disagree with his bashing of the wordmarks and dc logo. Both are understated, simple, and classy, without being boring.

I have to agree with that article and Ice Cap. Sadly, the ball/monument logo is fine, but it doesn't work with the rest of the identity. The uniforms are nice, but the road ones still bug me, as it seems the white is hardly used at all compared to the blue making their road identity more red/blue/and white instead of red/white/and blue. Another issue is that while I like the wordmarks, Washington Wizards, Wizards, and Washington; the number font for some reason seems off, like it doesn't go with the rest of the uniform. I don't mind the silver trim creating separation from the colored stripe, but the actual design of the numbers is just... it doesn't work with the whole design.

No offense though, with the Wizards joining the Bucks, Jazz, Pistons, Sixers, and Warriors, with their modernized retro identities... is it just me, or is the NBA like some sorry individual who's going through a mid-life crisis, sadly trying to relive their past, but all in all failing to realize that their half-assed attempts at recreating the past are simply making them more laughable with every passing day. I'm all for old-school, but this is getting pathetic and unoriginal.

Final Score: 5 out of 10... and I'm feeling generous today.

Does anyone see male genitalia in the "dc"? maybe already been mentioned but? I showed it to my friends, and it's the first thing that was mentioned.. College dudes maybe, but I can't NOT see it know...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Yes I am... I designed the Monument Ball logo. I won't lie, I had some help along the way to push it beyond the original concept.

Was it intentional that the monument/star ball doubles as a magic wand? Or has my wife just made me watch too many Harry Potter movies (2)? I think it's a Wizards tie that some are missing if it was. Again, nice work.

Does anyone see male genitalia in the "dc"? maybe already been mentioned but? I showed it to my friends, and it's the first thing that was mentioned.. College dudes maybe, but I can't NOT see it know...

I see it now that you've mentioned it, but then again they are college kids, so that's to be expected. It's certainly not as brow-raising as others I've seen though. Plus, the whole thing could be caused by how many phallic-jokes about the Washington Monument have been made by various people/comedians.

I see it now that you've mentioned it, but then again they are college kids, so that's to be expected. It's certainly not as brow-raising as others I've seen though. Plus, the whole thing could be caused by how many phallic-jokes about the Washington Monument have been made by various people/comedians.

College kids can see a penis in anything they look at.

87Redskins.png

Damn, its pretty harsh. I felt very similar to the guy writing the article, but I still think the overall package is very good. I love the basketball logo, but I agree, it doesn't fit with anything else in the package. I disagree with his bashing of the wordmarks and dc logo. Both are understated, simple, and classy, without being boring.

Putting a basketball dot on the i and shoehorning a Washington Monument into the stem of a letterform is not simple, understated or classy. It's unnecessarily cluttered, brash (look how clever I can be when I design logos!) and cheesy. And you must admit that the dc logo is at least a little weird.

The worst part is they have a pair of perfectly fine capital-letter wordmarks (still not a fan off all the spiky serifs all over the place, though) but instead chose to feature the corny, lowercase monument wordmarks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

after looking over this for a day, im with Armin (Brand New writer) for the most part. i mean, i love the uniforms. hands down my favorite basketball uni. but the logo system is pretty awful.

the ball/monument logo is better than anything else, if only because everything else looks so amateurish and has nearly nothing in common with the next. id love to see that as the primary logo. the rest of them are so off the wall and cluttered. too many ideas in one mark (or letter in some cases).

again, great job on the uniforms, but the logos and fonts are really lacking

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Was it intentional that the monument/star ball doubles as a magic wand? Or has my wife just made me watch too many Harry Potter movies (2)? I think it's a Wizards tie that some are missing if it was. Again, nice work.

Too much Harry Potter, chief...

Naw seriously, I didn't intend for it to work out quite like that... but it does make for an interesting point of discovery, so I'll take that as a win!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

The resemblance struck me the moment I saw it, actually. It also looks like the middle finger gesture.

Archived