Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

Does anyone see male genitalia in the "dc"? maybe already been mentioned but? I showed it to my friends, and it's the first thing that was mentioned.. College dudes maybe, but I can't NOT see it know...

I see it now that you've mentioned it, but then again they are college kids, so that's to be expected. It's certainly not as brow-raising as others I've seen though. Plus, the whole thing could be caused by how many phallic-jokes about the Washington Monument have been made by various people/comedians.

College kids can see a penis in anything they look at.

As a college kid myself, I can verify the validity of this comment.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after looking over this for a day, im with Armin (Brand New writer) for the most part. i mean, i love the uniforms. hands down my favorite basketball uni. but the logo system is pretty awful.

the ball/monument logo is better than anything else, if only because everything else looks so amateurish and has nearly nothing in common with the next. id love to see that as the primary logo. the rest of them are so off the wall and cluttered. too many ideas in one mark (or letter in some cases).

again, great job on the uniforms, but the logos and fonts are really lacking

People are liking/disliking different individual elements, which I think speaks to one common conclusion. It doesn't feel cohesive. I'm with you, I really like the Monument Ball and thought that it should have been the central focus around the rebranding. I also like the uniforms, if tweaked a little. The wordmarks feel forced to me.

But in the end, as a designer, you have to cater to what your client wants and it is clear that the Wizards wanted to revisit the classic Bullets look as much as possible.

When their only championship was won wearing similair uniforms

Washington_Bullets_World_Champions_1978%5B1%5D%281%29.jpg

Wow, a single championship. What a sad franchise, then.

If that's your measuring stick for "sad franchises" in the NBA then 80% of the teams are "sad". Grow up.

Teams who have not won more than one NBA championship:

Nets

Raptors

Pacers

Bucks

Heat

Magic

Hawks

Bobcats

Thunder

Nuggets

Blazers

Jazz

T-Wolves

Suns

Clippers

Kings

Mavs

Hornets

Grizzlies

That's 19 of the 30 teams. So not quite 80 percent, but close.

...and the Cavaliers.

You didn't include the Bullets/Wizards in that list, either. Up to 21, I guess.

It seems like there's only ever been 3 champions that just get recycled...Bulls/Celtics/Lakers...yawn...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

When their only championship was won wearing similair uniforms

Washington_Bullets_World_Champions_1978%5B1%5D%281%29.jpg

Wow, a single championship. What a sad franchise, then.

If that's your measuring stick for "sad franchises" in the NBA then 80% of the teams are "sad". Grow up.

Teams who have not won more than one NBA championship:

Nets

Raptors

Pacers

Bucks

Heat

Magic

Hawks

Bobcats

Thunder

Nuggets

Blazers

Jazz

T-Wolves

Suns

Clippers

Kings

Mavs

Hornets

Grizzlies

That's 19 of the 30 teams. So not quite 80 percent, but close.

...and the Cavaliers.

You didn't include the Bullets/Wizards in that list, either. Up to 21, I guess.

It seems like there's only ever been 3 champions that just get recycled...Bulls/Celtics/Lakers...yawn...

whitedawg22, true and I suppose that's 70%, not 80%....I was just using "80%" to make a point, I didn't go the nerd route and add it up, lol. :P

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Holy :censored: the replicas are awful.

p10210208reg.jpg

The blue under the wordmark isn't there, plus theres the awful WIDE SHOULDER problem like all replicas.

It's like Champion somehow manufactured this.

Looks like something you'd see at Wal-Mart.

makes me mad, because i wanted to buy a replica but thatd be pointless if its missing a stripe, so i might just go with a swingman

spacer.png

spacer.png

^ Good point.

Anyone care to effort a guess as to why the replicas don't include the extra stripe?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

^ Good point.

Anyone care to effort a guess as to why the replicas don't include the extra stripe?

I'd guess the biggest reason is cost, but there's still a small part of me that thinks the replicas intentionally look different from the real things so that there's more demand for the Swingman, which is visually more authentic as far as trim and cut goes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

^ Good point.

I'd guess the biggest reason is cost, but there's still a small part of me that thinks the replicas intentionally look different from the real things so that there's more demand for the Swingman, which is visually more authentic as far as trim and cut goes.

This is most likely the case. I remember Champion didn't have pinstripes or body trim on their replicas, but they also didn't market "swingmans" or authentics back then (at least not nearly to the extent that they do now) so that may have been a cost thing, but I can't imagine that with the modern techniques, it would be a big deal to include that stripe.

They might have numbers that show that there's a disproportionate amount of low-end replicas sold vs. swingman vs. authentic, so they need to make more of a differentiation between the three. Kind of like the NHL. The pre-edge replicas were extremely good, and there was really no reason for anyone but the true "hard core" fan who wanted a fight strap to buy an authentic. That isn't the case anymore (though they shot themselves in the foot by overpricing the authentic and not having anything in the middle... but that's a different story.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is most likely the case. I remember Champion didn't have pinstripes or body trim on their replicas, but they also didn't market "swingmans" or authentics back then (at least not nearly to the extent that they do now) so that may have been a cost thing, but I can't imagine that with the modern techniques, it would be a big deal to include that stripe.

They might have numbers that show that there's a disproportionate amount of low-end replicas sold vs. swingman vs. authentic, so they need to make more of a differentiation between the three. Kind of like the NHL. The pre-edge replicas were extremely good, and there was really no reason for anyone but the true "hard core" fan who wanted a fight strap to buy an authentic. That isn't the case anymore (though they shot themselves in the foot by overpricing the authentic and not having anything in the middle... but that's a different story.)

Champion replicas actually did have pinstripes and side panels the last year or two, but you are correct.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The European Champion jerseys were usually pretty accurate - everything was sublimated into the fabric, but they were otherwise identical to the game jerseys. They used a different type of mesh compared to the American versions, much heavier.

p10210208reg.jpg

The blue under the wordmark isn't there, plus theres the awful WIDE SHOULDER problem like all replicas.

Looks like something you'd see at Wal-Mart.

makes me mad, because i wanted to buy a replica but thatd be pointless if its missing a stripe, so i might just go with a swingman

Never buy an NBA replica. The cut is like a woman's sleeveless blouse. Unless you like that sort of thing.

The new primary logo has totally grown on me. I had it as my Facebook pic from the revealing until now (I just changed it). Looking at it everyday has totally made me used to the colors, font, and everything. I actually think it looks good now.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So, you're harping on a lack of creativity, yet they're wearing a uniform that is unlike any in the NBA right now?

Yeah, they lack creativity because they borrowed the entire uniform concept from the eyesores they were wearing 30 years ago when they won their one and only championship. Hardly something to look back and model your next look on unless your franchise is pretty damned sad and has no hope for the future.

The wordmarks are nothing to write home about, but the uniform itself is one of the best in the league. I'mnot feeling the blue pinstripe up the side and I think they could have done the shorts a little differently, but this is a bold, iconic and unique uniform in the NBA.

The wordmark is probably the best thing about it. Either that or the monument ball above the nameplate, that's by far the best thing to come from this rebranding.

Also, the designers don't write the brief and decide to go retro. The team writes a brief and the designers explore all options, including retro, modern and everything in between over the entire course of development.

Fine, let me rephrase. Whoever came up with the concept lacks creativity. Be it the designers, Leonsis, whatever.

Why don't you show us your end-all, be-all Wizards concept and we can talk.

You don't have to be a pro designer to know when a team :censored: the bed on their rebranding.

"Empty traditions are stupid enough as is" coming from someone with a Celtics avatar?

Okay. I've seen you post numerous times, so I already know you're absolutely clueless, but just for giggles... why do you assume that, just because I'm a Celtics fan and have a Celtics avatar, I endorse and stand by the archaic, boring-ass uniforms they've been stubbornly hanging on to since god knows when?

Your comment about "no work by just switching back to the old uni template" is even more dumb. It actually requires a lot of work to adapt an old design onto a modern template and clean it up ("modernize" it, if you will) to make it look more contemporary. To be honest, I don't even look at this as a retro look - I think it's certainly retro "inspired", but it is decidedly modern in nearly every way. The fonts, the trim, the piping, the shorts, the back (logo over NOB with the funky cut-out thing), etc.

Lipstick on a pig.

"Lazy" and RFSR would be what the Sixers did. This is completely different. Again, I'm not saying that you have to like it, but at least bash it for the right reasons. There are certainly some things that they could have done differently, but overall this is the opposite of being "lazy".

Fine, the people who pitched the concept (they obviously wanted the stripes back and that's what everything was centered around), are lazy and lack creativity. Better?

You may disagree with how I made use of my day with the Delorean, but I stand by my decision.

LOL, well played sir.

p10210208reg.jpg

I hate stuff like that because it fails what I call the Mom (or Grandma) Test. For example, they know "Junior" really loves the Wizards and would definitely love a replica jersey of his favorite player... so they buy that not thinking it isn't accurate and "Junior" might end up disappointed because it's not close to what they actually wear.

Archived