Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict within two years the monument logo is the primary.

The wizard will remain the official primary for as long as that stupid $500,000 fee is still in place. It's obvious, though, that it's gonna rarely be used at all already. I like the monument ball to be used predominantly, but I have a feeling that the "wizards" wordmark may end up being the unofficial primary.

$500,000?

Heh?

Well, it seems to be a big deal to the teams. Otherwise the Hawks, Jazz, Timberwolves, Hornets, Cavaliers and Raptors (any other teams?) would all probably be using one of their secondary logos as the official primary.

The wizard will remain the official primary for as long as that stupid $500,000 fee is still in place. It's obvious, though, that it's gonna rarely be used at all already. I like the monument ball to be used predominantly, but I have a feeling that the "wizards" wordmark may end up being the unofficial primary.

What's the point of that rule/fine anyway? Does it have to do with merchandising/manufacturing costs or some legal copyright/trademark streamlining stuff?

$500,000?

Heh?

Well, it seems to be a big deal to the teams. Otherwise the Hawks, Jazz, Timberwolves, Hornets, Cavaliers and Raptors (any other teams?) would all probably be using one of their secondary logos as the official primary.

You can add the Knicks as well.

logo_newyorkknicks2.gif

$500,000?

Heh?

Something to the effect of you have to notify the NBA five years in advance when you intend to switch primary logos. If you start to use a different one before that you get fined.

However, teams get around it by creating an alternate logo and using that in place, unofficially, of the primary. See how Utah uses the "J-note," or how Denver uses the pickaxe logo, etc.

$500,000?

Heh?

logo_newyorkknicks2.gif

The Knicks have further simplified that subway token logo by getting rid of the blue/silver border and expanding the orange a bit. What's weird though is that they seem to use the updated logo on all their "print" marketing, yet as far as I'm aware, they're still using the older bordered subway token logo on the back of their jerseys.

To my knowledge, the only team in recent memory that has recolored and de-emphasized a primary logo, only to later change to a new official primary logo is the Pistons. That ugly flaming horse logo, colored in red/white/royal, was the primary for a season or two.

i love the new "3rd" logo or whatever is the one that will be on the back of the uniforms. The ball with the star and then the Washington Monument

Wsh3rd.png

I don't like the new primary, the Wizards wordmark, the DC, the uniforms, or the colors in general, but this tertiary logo is inspired. Hats off to them.

I like the ball logo, but when I look at it, I can't help but think of this:

ie7jp1w07mlhzwxqgeffn9c8p.gif

Not sure why.

That said, it would make a solid primary with some tweaks and wordmarks. It has nothing to do with Wizards, but if you think about it, neither do the logos of the Pistons, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks or Thunder (still don't know WTF that is supposed to be), among others. It does however, the job of letting you know where the team is based, without any words.

sig.png

I like the ball logo, but when I look at it, I can't help but think of this:

ie7jp1w07mlhzwxqgeffn9c8p.gif

Not sure why.

That said, it would make a solid primary with some tweaks and wordmarks. It has nothing to do with Wizards, but if you think about it, neither do the logos of the Pistons, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks or Thunder (still don't know WTF that is supposed to be), among others. It does however, the job of letting you know where the team is based, without any words.

Yeah, the more I look at the Wiz's new ball logo, the more "familiar" I feel about it. I think it reminds me of the D-League's Texas Legends' logo: 100609025739resized_Texas_Legends_Logo.jpg

$500,000?

Heh?

Nuggets, Suns, Kings, and I'd even say Celtics -- I see the shamrock just as much as I see the old Irish dude these days.

6uXNWAo.png

I love almost everything about this rebrand. The only thing I don't care for is the new third logo. The ball/Monument one. It's just not my cup of tea.

Really? I think it is the best part. I like the subtle "W" that they created at the top.

Yes. It clashes with the rest of the look. First off, it uses silver which, as far as I can tell, is absent from the rest of the identity. Secondly it's a very curvy mark with a downward to up perspective. Meanwhile the new wordmark, striping, and dc logo are all rendered in straight, bold lines that use a head on perspective. The ball/Monument logo looks like it was designed apart from everything else.

picturepage_050411.jpg

picturepage2_050411.jpg

I'm a fan. This is way better than the previous look, and I think they did a great job with the classic Bullets style. The new Wizards/Capitals look > 90s Wizards/Capitals look! I think the only thing I don't like is just the name Wizards. I'd have liked to rebrand them as the Presidents or something. Maybe that isn't menacing enough. What's a word that has to do with Washington, but scares the crap out of everyone? Oh, I know...The Washington Taxes!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived