Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always interested in what people that don't come here think about uniforms. They showed the new Wizards uniforms on ESPN and two of my friends gave a collective "That's horrible" and "Why did they change?" I'm not sure why they think that, but I thought these would be better received by the general sports fan than the people here.

Possibly people sick and tired of seeing the same colors on uniforms all the time. There are already five teams in the NBA that feature RWB on their unis (ATL, DET, LAC, PHI, and NJ)

I honestly don't see the problem with 6/30 American teams using the most basic color scheme there is in America. And to further push it down, some teams are primarily red, and some blue.

I'm just saying. I don't know how a casual fan thinks. Haven't been one since I was a kid.

Go A's!

I still say they should move to southern Maryland and rename themselves Baltimore-Washington United. This way, you're actually uniting things, and not just copping English naming conventions.

Beltway United?

---

I actually like this whole rebrand for the most part.

I like the monument ball, I like the DC-Bullets reference, I like the uniform as a whole, I like the hidden Ws.

The only things I don't like are that "wizards" looks identical to "capitals" (although I understand Leonsis' uniting brands thing), the lack of silver anywhere except the numbers/ball, and that the shorts stripes don't continue onto the jersey.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

i like them, and the nod to the old bullets logo is a nice touch. but was there any reason not to change the team name as well?

leonsis owns both the caps and wiz now, did the previous owner also own the caps? was that why both teams used blue and bronze?

Yes. The Pollin Family owned the Caps until 1999 and the Wizards until very recently.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I tip the cap to the designers. I have a feeling being constrained to the impossible NBA rules and regs regarding ID changes, they did this quite well. The owner wanted a retro bullets feel, they did that and made it clever and modern deliciously.

Very solid design work. Anyone who is complaining about the concept is forgetting that you design to the client...and Teddy made it quite clear what he wanted.

Bravo.

One more thing I'd like to see is if the colors for the Wizards and Caps are exactly the same or not. Could you check that CWx?

Believe it or not, but the Navys are just slightly different:

WashingtonWizards_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

WashingtonCapitals_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The road uniform is way better. I wish the NBA reversed their policy and let teams wear their dark/colored jerseys at home. I almost always find the road jerseys to be better.

I posted the RGB-optimized versions of the new Wizards graphics on my blog:

Washington Wizards (NBA): 2011-2012 RGB-Optimized Graphics

Wow I just noticed the Washington script has the Washington Monument in the h. That is cool.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Overall, I like the new look. I'm not a big fan of the dc secondary mark but I do like how it ties back to the old. I really wished they spent the half mil (or whatever it is) to change the primary logo. I didn't mind it so much with the old colours, but it looks really bad red, white and blue.

Hmm... Note the red section and star:

th_WashingtonWizards_SEL1_2012-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

And here's the new logo for the US Department of Defense Missile Defense Agency. Hmmmm...

Defense-Islamic-logo.jpg

But does that mean...?

283px-Star_and_Crescent.png

dun dun dun!!!!!!

obama-muslim.jpg

Or: dun Dun DUNNNN!!!!!!!

barack-obama-and-washington-wizards-gallery.jpg

*gasp*

So, is Obama a Muslim sleeper agent masquerading as a Christian, or a Wizards fan masquerading as a Bulls fan? YOU DECIDE.

wizards-new-jerseys.jpg

And with that, the Wiz just jumped into my top 10 (maybe 5) favorite NBA uniforms. That "DC" logo isn't anything special, but such a brilliant throwback to the Bullets' logos. Love it.

Archived