personal logo idea

CS85

Howdy folks. I'm trying some stuff to get a personal logo design going that's approachable but still complex. the ALD in the design I've found people have a hard time distinguishing at first glance but eventually see it right away. That feedback is nice, but overall it may just be a ... boring logo, lol. Hoping you guys could help me know if I'm going in the right direction for this. Thanks as always.

aldh.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not seeing it at all. Barely seeing any of the letters, and your final shape is just a strange looking polygon.

You should start over with some actual letterforms, or redraw your own with more definitive shapes. These are barely discernable, even with the different color shading.

I wouldn't even use the "D" as part of the initials. Make a logo with "A" and "L". You can still type in Andy Long Designs underneath. This way your name is emphasized more.

Think of the company Adobe. Its full name is Adobe Systems Incorporated, but the logo just plays off the "A". It's not "ASI".

The more minimal you can make your company name, the less restriction you have trying to fit more letters or words together.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Very good feedback all - I will go back to the drawing board with it in mind, thanks!!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

In addition to what JP mentioned above, I'd also look at writing out a list of things you associate yourself with. What are some of the things you like? Also, just doodle with letterforms...draw one on the other, tilt one a certain way, try to come up with at least eight different ways to put letters together. (That's just a suggestion...I remember it from one of my classes in college, though.)

Here's what I'm getting at...don't know if you've seen Shumway's personal logo, but it's a cartoon caricature of himself. I think I remember him mentioning he likes to draw cartoons (or comic strips, one or the other). In that way, his icon is perfect for his personal brand. Now in the case of davidson, his logo (and pretty much every preceding version of it) is some form of "FD", albeit super abstract. I once used a personal logo that was basically a script "b" inside a block capital "B"...with the bowl of the script "b" also serving as my middle initial, "O". (That suggestion I mentioned above, that was also a class project, is how that logo came to be.) The one I use now (look in my sig) is basically a trophy hand signifying, in a nutshell, "number one champion". It also unapologetically incorporates both the Lombardi and Sears trophy shape into it, since I'm a huge football nut.

EDIT: pay no mind to the concept itself, but you can see the personal logo I used to use here:

AFLLufthansa.png

Give it time...you'll get it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ok guys, thanks again for the feedback. I've decided to try to play off the "AL" and go for something a bit less abstract. These renderings are rough ideas, not finished or polished by any means. If you could give me some further cc about which direction I should continue to work with, I'll to implement something going forward.

Thanks again, as always.

logogss.jpg

twitter

Andy, I think before picking which one I like, tell me more about what you are trying to portray. What is your aim with the logo? How do you design? What qualities/forms/styles inform your designs? I think answering these questions will definitely help you out, and help you with the design.

As of right now, I like all of the ideas in different ways, except for 2. That negative space is just weird.

Andy, I think before picking which one I like, tell me more about what you are trying to portray. What is your aim with the logo? How do you design? What qualities/forms/styles inform your designs? I think answering these questions will definitely help you out, and help you with the design.

As of right now, I like all of the ideas in different ways, except for 2. That negative space is just weird.

Ideally, I'd like the logo to convey versatility and simplicity. My main goal is for potential clients to see my logo and be intrigued without intimidated or bored by it.

twitter

I thought about it a bit, and looking over them again with your goals in mind, I retract my statement on number 2 (except you do need to work on that negative space to make it better). It is the one you should go with.

If aiming contemporary is your goal, I'd go with option 7, except thicken it up a bit so it stands out more.

That said, my personal favorite is option 9. If you do choose to go with that, I'd continue working the letterforms to show more fluidity, more movement. All that said, I think we still need a bit more to go off here--character traits, primary style, things like that--so we can see what it is you're trying to accomplish.

One other thing, if I may: have you thought up any other potential names other than "Andy Long Designs"? I know it's kind of taboo to "brand" yourself with a name other than the one written on your birth certificate, but me personally, I think it can be done--it's all in how you pull it off. I say all that for this reason: yes, you'd like to get your name out there, but I personally prefer more unique names. To me, "Andy Long Designs" sounds a little too generic. (That's also part of the reason I left the "B.Brooks Designs" thing alone--got bored with it.)

EDIT: Came up with a couple quick sketches to kinda illustrate what I was talking about...

andy_long.png

Top two are 7 and 9, my two personal favorites. Figured I'd add a color version of each just so you kinda have a visual. You may or may not see what I was trying to aim for with the second logo...wind, being that you're from the Windy City. I took the colors out of your avatar. Chicago Bears? Windy City? Andy Long? That's kinda how I put that together.

These are both pretty rough; if you want, you can further massage these here to your liking, particularly that second one, if you choose to evoke more of a "wind" essence.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Thanks for all the fantastic c/c and advice everybody, I seriously appreciate it. I'm going to run with 1,2,7, and 9 and come up with some further refined ideas.

twitter

Okay first of all, drop the "s" off of designs as design is plural. Secondly, what do you design? You're logo should reflect what you do. You talk about contemporary, but contemporary what? Make your logo look good, then use it and your work will make your logo (hopefully) look better because you're out there. I also think too many times people worry too much about a logo to brand themselves before they've established themselves, instead of actually designing things for people and using what they've designed to brand themselves. I don't have a logo, because my work speaks for itself and is my brand.

@oddball, the type of design I do is primarily for websites (mostly sports related), bands, and the various business here or there. I'm not too established yet, but I'd like to have an idea of a logo before I put a website up with my portfolio.

I took a lot of the stuff into consideration and while I'm poking with some of the ideas, none of them really developed, at least not yet.

I tried something new with emphasis on the "A" and giving it it's shape with just a few modified lines. I suppose there is a swooshy "L" in there somewhere, too. Let me know if I'm cooking with gas or swung and missed.

anotherstry.jpg

twitter

To me it looks like 3 Ls making an A. Play that up a bit and you may have something.

I also second the dropping of the s in designs, Andy Long Design working better (what about just Long Design....and play with the symbolism of long division? just a thought).

@oddball, the type of design I do is primarily for websites (mostly sports related), bands, and the various business here or there. I'm not too established yet, but I'd like to have an idea of a logo before I put a website up with my portfolio.

I took a lot of the stuff into consideration and while I'm poking with some of the ideas, none of them really developed, at least not yet.

I tried something new with emphasis on the "A" and giving it it's shape with just a few modified lines. I suppose there is a swooshy "L" in there somewhere, too. Let me know if I'm cooking with gas or swung and missed.

anotherstry.jpg

I don't see the L. Looks more like a C. That big crescent shape overpowers any definition of an L.

You could even get more abstract with your initials. As a web designer, you are sort of bound by structure and guides. Why not go with a geometric route? A triangle for an A, a right angle for an L? Just throwing some ideas at you.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived