University of Maryland

leopard88

I know there has been talk about an identity overhaul at Maryland. With that in mind, I saw an ad in today's Baltimore Sun using the wordmark shown below. I haven't seen it before (which doesn't mean I haven't just missed it). Perhaps it is part of the planned change. Either way, I think it looks pretty sharp.

FootballSTX2011.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the red black and yellow just don't work in my opinion

they should make red the primary, black the secondary and then yellow for accent

it seems like they try to use equal amounts of red, yellow and black and it usually looks hideous

the football uniforms are a hot mess...the basketball uniforms used to be fine but the changes made a couple years ago make them look terrible too

and the yellow alts? yikes yowsers and egads

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the DC Sports Bog's report on the upcoming rebrand:

terpsfootballlogo0511b.jpg?uuid=6VZJTou_EeClCQcM6K0phg

Here’s what football coach Randy Edsall told Comcast SportsNet when asked about the new look.

“It’s about state pride. You know, it’s about state pride. It’s about being one, that we are Maryland, and we want everybody in the state of Maryland involved in terms of what we’re doing. So it’s just trying to create that pride in being part of the Maryland community. You know, it’s just gonna be neat to see that across the front of the jerseys. And for us from a recruiting standpoint, selling to kids — Hey, this is your state university, this is where you need to be.”

So on the front of next year's jersey, will we see just the wordmark, or the wordmark + flag ribbon trim?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Under Armour use a turtle shell texture or turtle skin texture soon for Maryland. Kinda like what Nike did to TCU.

I would not be surprised. Maryland has been using a turtle shell logo in a lot of their branding lately. Their Facebook page just has a big turtle shell for their profile picture for example:

203592_16972274487_6345669_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/UnivofMaryland

Pretty generic looking wordmark, I like the flag underline but it doesn't seem to match the font choice. Still, it's hard to be more generic than the Nuggets-esque wordmark, so I don't really see this as a downgrade.

Pretty generic looking wordmark, I like the flag underline but it doesn't seem to match the font choice. Still, it's hard to be more generic than the Nuggets-esque wordmark, so I don't really see this as a downgrade.

Blacks_medium.PNG

Yellows_medium.PNG

These were leaked on a Merlin player's twitter account months ago, if accurate it would appear to have the new wordmark but not the flag underline on the front of the jersey. Not sure how accurate these are or if they dovetail with the mockups previously posted from NCAA '12.

It will be sad to see the Aachen font go. They were one of the few to use it and kind of "owned" it after a while. When you saw it, you knew it was Maryland.

I am too. I never really liked the font (I thought it was too bold/would have preferred a lighter weight) but it was instantly recognizable, like City for UNC basketball.

It will be sad to see the Aachen font go. They were one of the few to use it and kind of "owned" it after a while. When you saw it, you knew it was Maryland.

The weird thing is Maryland's football team hasn't used the Aachen font since what, 2003? All the other sports seemed to use it up through this year, but not football. It was pretty unique to Maryland until the Nuggets started using it.

The weird thing is Maryland's football team hasn't used the Aachen font since what, 2003? All the other sports seemed to use it up through this year, but not football. It was pretty unique to Maryland until the Nuggets started using it.

Doesn't Wisconsin also use Aachen (or something very close)?

Doesn't Wisconsin also use Aachen (or something very close)?

Yeah they do, prominently on basketball jerseys. Good thinking.

Blacks_medium.PNG

Yellows_medium.PNG

These were leaked on a Merlin player's twitter account months ago, if accurate it would appear to have the new wordmark but not the flag underline on the front of the jersey. Not sure how accurate these are or if they dovetail with the mockups previously posted from NCAA '12.

I think the helmet stripe ends up looking pretty nice, but the two-tone piping (if that's what it is, it's hard to tell) ends up looking very strange. Gotta wait and see, though.

EDIT: Also, is that a gradient I see?

Blacks_medium.PNG

Yellows_medium.PNG

Oof. I don't mind the wordmark, but I really don't think it works as a helmet logo, even with the vertical arch.

So, if they were planning to introduce a new wordmark to be used across all sports, why did Maryland/UA bother introducing that interim cursive script, seen on the black alt men's b-ball jerseys last year?

PH2011013004952.jpg

I happen to like the cursive script, but I'm guessing that the new wordmark will render it obsolete.

Archived