Cardinals bird hats

kestrel79

I was watching the Cardinals vs Brewers yesterday and noticed the Cards had on their bird hats. I didn't think they wore these anymore, I thought this was a McGuire era thing.

While I don't mind the logo, a navy blue hat w/ red brim doesn't match their home uniforms at all which are pretty much all white and red. I think if they made the bird logo cap all red it would look pretty sharp with their home uniforms. Or they could keep the cap as is and wear blue socks/undershirts with their home jerseys, that way they match the hat better.

Do they ever wear these hats on the road? They seem to match their road uniforms more which have more navy blue in them correct? Maybe some Cards fans can help me out. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It works fine since their road caps are all navy. A combination of both is nice and I like it a lot.

You only associate it the McGwire era is because it was a design used for their BP caps and you saw a lot of images of him during BP during his home run time. The current Cards BP uses the STL on it

Go A's!

The road uniform's blue belt is the only difference between the home and road (other than the obvious gray and white). So there isn't that much more navy blue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Could be a souvenir mini-bat. Available at the team store now.

I don't mind it any more than the blue on the road. The Cardinals still only look right to me in spring training when they wear the normal unis with only red caps.

No, they'd look like the Phillies, the Reds and the Angels.

How does the bp verson differ from the sunday cap?

I don't mind the cap, I just don't think it matches their all red/white home jerseys very well. Nothing else is navy for the Cards at home, then they have it on the top of the hats.

How does the bp verson differ from the sunday cap?

I don't mind the cap, I just don't think it matches their all red/white home jerseys very well. Nothing else is navy for the Cards at home, then they have it on the top of the hats.

There's enough navy trim on the home uniforms that it actually does help make it work. It's really no different than the Indians' 1990's home uniforms, where they wore the navy crowned, red billed home hats (with a dominantly red Wahoo logo) with their home uniforms which featured red lettering/numerals trimmed in navy with red belts, red socks and red shoes. Plus, they had the addition of red piping, yet everyone seems to be clamoring for them to return. But then complain about how this hat doesn't go with the Cardinals home uniforms.

The bird hat is great for batting practice and nothing more, but then again I've said time and time again that the charter teams (and probably the other 14, too) shouldn't dick around with BP-looking hats in actual games. I think it looks horrible with the home whites, and the navy hat with the greys doesn't look much better, but all the Cardinals people at this board love everything the Cardinals choose to do because the Cardinals, so I have no right to throw in my two cents and should instead stick to criticizing the myriad flaws with my own Cubs' uniform problems, lest I be seen as merely trying to take unwarranted potshots at the BFIB.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived