2014 MWC Football Redesign

wyopokes2

No, not really. The uniforms are a dark, almost-navy shade of blue, while the turf is a light royal blue.

Bronco_Stadium_Blue_Turf_October_31_2009.JPG

Note the difference in shade between the band uniforms (which are close to the team's uniforms color-wise) and the field. The whole "their uniforms blend into the turf" thing is nothing more than a convenient excuse for losing to Boise State.

/rant

==================

I really like that Boise State concept except for the numbers on the white uniforms. Those would be completely unreadable in real life.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I may be an Oregon fan, but I can concur: it's just an excuse for losing to Boise. However, you can't say that it doesn't help.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I absolutely can say that it doesn't help. Boise State whooped Fresno in orange monochrome uniforms last season. Furthermore, BSU wore orange primary uniforms for many years before moving up to the FBS. If your team isn't prepared for the blue turf, that's not Boise State's fault.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

After a little break, up now is the University of Nevada, Reno. The Wolfpack have had some pretty intersting combos over the years. They have gone from unique stripes, to a USC type stripe, to their current uniforms. My favorite Nevada look of all time came in the Las Vegas Bowl when they wore silver jerseys. Their current set is dumb to me. Just a recycled Miami Hurricanes template.Oregon State and New Mexico State (<--Adidas school which is wierd) have also have supported this look. I like the way that only players who have earned it, wear a helmet stripe. This is known as the striker award. For my concept I darkened the silver to match the facemask and seperate them from Air Force a little bit more in the Mountain West. I added a wolf fang to element to the uniforms to tie in with the mascot. The helmet stripe would again have to be earned. Without further ado:

CLICK FOR FULL

1592955.jpg?623

GOOD GOD! Thank you for putting the single tribal band around the one leg of Hawaii's pants. That was the best part about Hawaii's unis a few years ago. very glad you brought it back. it needs to stay there. makes them very unique just as a team from Hawaii should be. (but not as unique as in the rainbow warrior days)

Picture21.png

Here is the next one in the series. The Air Force Academy. I gotta say that their current uniforms were such a downgrade from the ones previous. I don't like the addition of the black. I really thought the blue and silver look was unique. They've included some unique elements over the past few years. Starting with camo decals during the Armed Forces bowl 2 years ago. Last year they wore three different new items. First they wore a flag/lightning bolt decalduring the BYU game. During the Navy game and Army game they wore their mock Thunderbird uniforms. Then during their bowl game against Georgia Tech, they wore a mixup of the flag decal and thunderbird uni. I really digged this look as it related very well to the school. For my redesign I included elements from this set in my alternate. The only thing is, I wanted to make it in school colors as kind of a faux-Thunderbird uni. I made a blue helmet which would be a first for the program. The primary sets are not necessarily the blue/blue/blue and white/white/white. That is just how I put them together presentation wise. The actual home would be white/blue/white and blue/white/blue. However all elements can be swapped with eachother. Anyways, enough background info. Here she is:

Click for full size

906520.jpg?625

Just an interesting side note: I talked to my brother-in-law who's currently stationed at Kadena AFB on Okinawa, and he said the Thunderbirds are a total mockery of the Air Force-- pretty much solely a marketing ploy. It's all for marketing, I know, but I thought that was interesting-- that a lot of the enlisted airmen scoff at the Thunderbirds. AFA isn't directly the Air Force, so I guess it works. Just thought I'd share that with ya, because I found it interesting.

And into the final 4 teams. Up next is San Diego State. Where to even start on this one. They have had a few jerseys over the years, but I think one stands out more than any to me. It was of course the set with the airbrushed helmet. Call me strange but this is my favorite college football uniform of all time. SDSU has a long history of wearing all black at home. Here's a little excerpt from the athletics website on what black means to the program.

Basic Black

One of San Diego State's most honored traditions is the all-black uniform the Aztecs wear when playing at home. The "look" has become as much a part of Aztec football as the forward pass. In fact, the concept was the brainchild of the man who brought the modern passing game not only to San Diego State, but to college football - Don Coryell.

Coryell became head coach at San Diego State in 1961. At the time, the Aztecs sported a black jersey with silver numerals, silver pants and a silver helmet - a la the Oakland Raiders. Coryell had first seen a one-color uniform while coaching Wenatchee Junior College in Washington. He felt the all-black uniform, at night, would be not only unique, but would convey a threatening, ominous image to the opposition and boost his players' psyche as well. The Aztecs first took the field in all-black uniforms on October 12, 1963. The team faced Long Beach State that night and before a sellout crowd in Aztec Bowl, won the game 33-8.

The uniform has been a tradition ever since with rare exception. In 1980, the SDSU team began the season in red jerseys, a black helmet and white pants. After struggling to a 1-8 start, the squad returned to its all-black attire winning its last three games, the final two coming at home. In 1983, San Diego State switched from its traditional nighttime home football games to a daytime schedule in San Diego Stadium. In deference to the daytime heat, the Aztecs switched to white pants, although the jerseys remained black. However, SDSU won only one home game that season. The following year, the team returned to nighttime football and all black uniforms.

I could only find two occasions this decade that SDSU has worn red. Once on September 6th, 2004 against Idaho State. The next was on October 30th, 2004 against Utah. For my concept I wanted to reintroduce a red jersey. I wanted to go for a Oregon wing type look on the shoulder using this logo. I also put gold on the uniforms. Something that the current ones do not. Here they are!

CLICK FOR FULL

4993062.jpg?625

The only thing I'd add to SDSU is a little red in the logo. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Nevada: Really like the graphite color in the scheme, especially in the pants and helmet.

SDSU: The feather detail on the shoulders is a very interesting look. Really dig the "Avalanche" style numbers.

I normally wouldn't have used the Avalanche font, but I wanted to kind of throw back to the early 2000's when they wore it

SDSU_uniform_1.jpg

Next up in the series is Hawaii. I really have liked all of Hawaii's looks since their rebrand in 2000. I remember watching the Timmy Chang years and thinking they were my favorite college football uniforms. It really bugged me when they switched the pants stripe to a clunkier version. I thought the addition of a silver helmet during the Colt Brennan years was cool. I decided to include a white helmet to replace the old silver one, mainly because Hawaii has a history of having a white helmet. The current (home, away, alt) Under Armour jerseys are pretty cool as well. With my redesign I didn't add too many new elements. I just included some of my favorites. Thanks for the feedback on the previous. I will post a bunch of updates to the old ones when I have finished the series and some of the comments are in. Here's the University of Hawaii:

Click for full

9921958.jpg?622

I like the update however I would lose the right arm pattern on the jerseys. Theres a reason they the pattern on the left arm and left leg only, I think its because its a sign of royalty in the poly culture. But besides that I like what you did here.

spacer.png

And into the final 4 teams. Up next is San Diego State. Where to even start on this one. They have had a few jerseys over the years, but I think one stands out more than any to me. It was of course the set with the airbrushed helmet. Call me strange but this is my favorite college football uniform of all time. SDSU has a long history of wearing all black at home. Here's a little excerpt from the athletics website on what black means to the program.

Basic Black

One of San Diego State's most honored traditions is the all-black uniform the Aztecs wear when playing at home. The "look" has become as much a part of Aztec football as the forward pass. In fact, the concept was the brainchild of the man who brought the modern passing game not only to San Diego State, but to college football - Don Coryell.

Coryell became head coach at San Diego State in 1961. At the time, the Aztecs sported a black jersey with silver numerals, silver pants and a silver helmet - a la the Oakland Raiders. Coryell had first seen a one-color uniform while coaching Wenatchee Junior College in Washington. He felt the all-black uniform, at night, would be not only unique, but would convey a threatening, ominous image to the opposition and boost his players' psyche as well. The Aztecs first took the field in all-black uniforms on October 12, 1963. The team faced Long Beach State that night and before a sellout crowd in Aztec Bowl, won the game 33-8.

The uniform has been a tradition ever since with rare exception. In 1980, the SDSU team began the season in red jerseys, a black helmet and white pants. After struggling to a 1-8 start, the squad returned to its all-black attire winning its last three games, the final two coming at home. In 1983, San Diego State switched from its traditional nighttime home football games to a daytime schedule in San Diego Stadium. In deference to the daytime heat, the Aztecs switched to white pants, although the jerseys remained black. However, SDSU won only one home game that season. The following year, the team returned to nighttime football and all black uniforms.

I could only find two occasions this decade that SDSU has worn red. Once on September 6th, 2004 against Idaho State. The next was on October 30th, 2004 against Utah. For my concept I wanted to reintroduce a red jersey. I wanted to go for a Oregon wing type look on the shoulder using this logo. I also put gold on the uniforms. Something that the current ones do not. Here they are!

CLICK FOR FULL

4993062.jpg?625

those are amazing, but this is my only nitpick and I might be the only one that thinks this way, but should the feather things on the shoulder from the dreamcatcher logo go the other way? almost like they are going with the wind. Otherwise those are amazing.

I might drop the feather thing and go for a more conventional design in terms of pants and jersey stripes, but other than that the Aztecs are golden.

I think that school has the best identity package in the nation, and the two tone helmets MUST be a part of their uniforms. Their current uniform set is kind of bland and could be made over.

This is very well done, but again, I'm never a fan of when logos are just put on pants like that...just a personal preference.

• 3 weeks later...

Finishing what I started. Thought I'd post in case anyway was left wondering :)

Coming up next is the University of New Mexico Lobos. I didn't really know where I wanted to go with this one. During the Urlacher years they had a pretty wicked number font. I really liked the helmet logo used in 1964 and then again in 1974. I started off using a logo I whipped up based off of that logo, but featuring a helmet number also.

helmetidea.png

I don't mind the current jerseys (home). Alot better than the Miami style. After completing the concept, I decided that my concepts all looked better with the current helmet. I tried out cherry and black helmets, but nothing looked as good as silver shell with a cherry facemask. I wanted to do something special for the Rio Grande Rivalry because I know how big it is, and how much history there is behind it. I put in the black uni to be used specifically for this game only. I kept the combos pretty tame on this one. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I might throw in a pair of cherry pants for the hell of it later :) After trying a few designs, I decided to go modern style piping with the same font the university currently uses for it's wordmarks. Don't be afraid to let me have it! Here's the Lobos:

Click for full size:

6338110.jpg?625

I agree with the fellow who pointed out the significance of the one arm band and one leg band on Hawaii. I suggest adjusting this. Otherwise GREAT concept!

I also really like the Aztec set but would have the 'shoulder wing' going the other way, it feels a bit awkward as is. Also I would switch the 'A' to the leg and the 'Aztec head' to the helmet. I think it's the more interesting logo so it should be on the helmet.

Nice work overall.

Archived