Memphis Grizzlies Logo

MDC

So yeah, watching the Grizzlies vs Thunder this past week got me thinking about the Grizzlies identity. I kinda hate their current logo. The bear looks like a robot. The colors on the other hand, I dig. I drew a lot of inspiration from the old Vancouver/Early Memphis look, but added my own touches to simplify the face. The colors are the current blues and yellow but tweaked a bit. I plan on finishing this up in the coming days, I just wanted a first opinion. Plus, it kinda looks like Z-Bo.

g3796.png

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I really like this a lot. I like the symmetry, and the fact that it looks more like their old logo. Also, nice work with the M and G in the ears...a subtle but very nice touch.

My only worry is the tongue...I'm not sure about the blue shape in the middle.

I like it. as mcbannon said, the M and G in the ear is a nice little addition, but for me this would be a lateral move. It doesnt seem any better or worse than what they have now. The tongue could be smaller and less prominent. also the eyes seem too low or something. it might just be me and I cant put my finger on it... but overall, this is good and it could work for a variety of teams who have a bear name of some kind.

Wow, I think this is an definite upgrade. The M and G in the ears is genius, and it actually looks like the Grizzly is fierce. It gives the logo some emotion. On top of all that, it does kind of connect the current logo to the old one. I'm glad you didn't change the colors. But I don't really think it matters that it looks like Randolph, I don't think it makes sense to model a team's logo after a player who happens to be on the team. Great work.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I like it. The M and G are great. What if you changed the tongue to light blue and the teeth to yellow? I think it would draw attention away from the tongue and to the teeth. Just a thought.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Good start, some advice tho:

-Make the teeth have lines that come to points, we want sharpness associated with teeth, not rounded edges

-try to add in some white to the light blue fur highlights, as it stands the only white is in the nose and it would brighten it up a little

-the tongue is pretty bad, it needs way more blue

-I'd drop the MG in the ears, and add real ear detail instead. While clever, its distracting from the rest of the design, for me.

-Maybe try making the shape you have at the top of the head into a M instead?

I think the symmetry is solid here, and the strongest detail is in the eye area, looks nice. But try refining this and it could turn into a really great logo.

-Make the teeth have lines that come to points, we want sharpness associated with teeth, not rounded edges

-try to add in some white to the light blue fur highlights, as it stands the only white is in the nose and it would brighten it up a little

-I'd drop the MG in the ears, and add real ear detail instead. While clever, its distracting from the rest of the design, for me.

I think the symmetry is solid here, and the strongest detail is in the eye area, looks nice. But try refining this and it could turn into a really great logo.

I would replace the word "advice" with the word "suggestions," as I agree with very little of what you said (well, I can see your point on the first couple but I am vehemently against the last two).

I would replace the word "advice" with the word "suggestions," as I agree with very little of what you said (well, I can see your point on the first couple but I am vehemently against the last two).

Agreed... the reason I like the M and G so much is that I actually didn't even notice them until someone pointed them out. I think that's why it works so well. It's not in-your-face, but it's there. If you look the logo in the eyes (which is naturally where your eyes would be drawn here), you (or at least I) barely notice the ears, unless you already know about the M and G.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The teeth need to be sharp to match the sharpness of the other shapes in the logo. And I would refine the tongue a little more.

Otherwise, it looks fantastic! I don't know why they ditched the Vancouver-era logos for the boring sleepy bear. You've done a great job of reconciling their best logo with their current colors.

Maybe its just me, but the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a gorilla, or a monkey of some sort.

I would sharpen the teeth, and fix the tongue. I also think your outline is very thick.

Picture21.png

Maybe its just me, but the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a gorilla, or a monkey of some sort.

I would sharpen the teeth, and fix the tongue. I also think your outline is very thick.

I was thinking the same thing....I immediately saw "gorilla" on this one. I think if you gave more depth to the snout/muzzle area, it'll render as a bear a little better.

That said, I do like what you've done here. I like the "MG" in the ears...it doesn't seem too forced to me, which is good.

So yeah, watching the Grizzlies vs Thunder this past week got me thinking about the Grizzlies identity. I kinda hate their current logo. The bear looks like a robot. The colors on the other hand, I dig. I drew a lot of inspiration from the old Vancouver/Early Memphis look, but added my own touches to simplify the face. The colors are the current blues and yellow but tweaked a bit. I plan on finishing this up in the coming days, I just wanted a first opinion. Plus, it kinda looks like Z-Bo.

g3796.png

I can't help but think the Hulk meets the Berenstein bears. But PapaFront.JPGI like where you're headed and like that it references the original Vancouver Grizzlies logo.

I was thinking the same thing....I immediately saw "gorilla" on this one. I think if you gave more depth to the snout/muzzle area, it'll render as a bear a little better.

That said, I do like what you've done here. I like the "MG" in the ears...it doesn't seem too forced to me, which is good.

I originally saw a gorilla too but decided not to mention it since I thought my eyes were just playing a trick on me. I wonder if it's in the teeth because they are rounded and not sharp, or something else..I would not drop the MG ears as elliot said. It's so subtle and the letter style reminds me of the old Vancouver Grizzlies font which I say is a plus, and besides, we've all seen a million logos with typical ears so why not change it up here. Im also dont think white highlights would add anything like was suggested. It will just clutter up the fur.

g3796.png

I can't help but think the Hulk meets the Berenstein bears. But PapaFront.JPGI like where you're headed and like that it references the original Vancouver Grizzlies logo.

EXACTLY what i saw when I first looked at it, lol. Hadn't noticed the M & G before...nice touch.

I am a big fan of their new logo, and I am with the people who said it looked like a monkey or gorilla. Part of me thinks it is the placement of the ears. What if you moved them more toward the top of the head. I would need to look at a picture of a real bear, but I think it is the ears that original made me think of gorilla.

gyoung8.png

Updated it a bit, what do you guys think?

I played with the muzzle a bit, hopefully getting rid of the Berenstein Bears look. Sharpened the teeth, and touched up the tongue. Also, fiddled with the colors a bit more. Better? worse?

grizzprimary.png

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived