Fighting Illini Sports ReVamp

wILL-INI

I figured its' time I get some C&C on this. Been tweaking an working it for a while. I tried to incorporate some things from our basketball uniforms for a little continuity and I feel as if your bball uni's are designed really well.

To start I used alot of the zig-zag pattern. I LOVE IT!!! It's was part of the Chief, so I love how we still "display" the logo, even if we don't.

tumblr_lkdz81QUW01qfbnp8o1_250.png

tumblr_ll2f2z2tdC1qfbnp8o1_250.png

I used this for the pants stripe. I used is as a color-on-color monotone layer effect on the stripes on the helmets.

I also put "Illini" on our helmets (like some of the helmets of old. I wish we showed more that we are the ILLINI. I used our basketball font.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

A white helmet cause I thought it's be kinda cool. Basketball numbers.

I re-did our retro, with a cream orange instead of flat white, for that awesome retro effect. We used them for one game, and everyone LOVED them, I think we should break them out for like every homecoming game, or like the first game of the season. I think they are too cool to keep unused.

football-illini-eiu-5406.jpg

and soo yea.

5717199804_b8318ec1ac_b.jpg

OSKEE WOW WOW C&C appreciated

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

I'm a big fan of these!

I'm not the biggest fan of the hoops numbers but they've become so unique to Illinois they are growing on me and they look good here. Love how the zig zag looks like traditional stripes in some ways.

Is the state on the back a number identifier or something else? It has a 5 while the jerseys have a 55...

What about working the zig zag into the jerseys and helmet as well? Also you split the illini on the jersey neck but not the helmet, maybe look at it there too. Might be too much but these are real sharp!

Need the navy "special" pants they break out for big games!

In some ways they remind me of the previous versions to the current (kurt kittner era)

600631.jpeg

I really like this set! pcgd already hit the two complaints I had. I think the helmet would look good with the zig-zag pattern and maybe even the cuffs on the jersey. The other thing was the split script on the jersey with the helmet being solid. I think making them both the same would improve the look. I'm not sure how I like the numbers on a football jersey, but I think it would help establish an identity.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

On the helmets, if you look closely you can kinda of see a zig-zag color on color stripe. I also tried the whole stripe but to keep it consistent I would have had to go blue/white/orange. and then the whole helmet would have to be half and half. I donno it didn't like it, so I went with this.

AS for the basketball half and half "Illini" I also tried this. I donno, they look alright, but it was too much, and I wanted an outline on the Illini, which the half and half takes away. You can see Bigmike thread (http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77907&st=0&p=1458930&hl=illini&fromsearch=1entry1458930) He did this, but I decided to end up going with this.

IlliniHomeandAwayUniforms.png

As for the navy, don't like the navy. It is our secondary color and should be our secondary. Our color is ORANGE! I think we should have our oranges at home, and blue be occasionally. But I also don't like the monotone blue on blue. This is the only picture I can find of us actually wearing them..

scan0001.jpg

btw: Jack Trudeau, what an ILLINI!

Looks great dude, no complaints. I'm an advocate for putting the circle-I on the helmets, but that's not a big deal. good work.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

some changes need to be made. i dont like the number font because of the simplicity of the jersey. for something a bit more modern, or with more jersey elements i think it would be better. it just commands so much attention and i think it needs to be a classic font. like the one you used on the throwback.

i love that you used that "chief" pattern. i think the jersey needs it as well, even if its just around the collar. the pants and the rest of the uniform are almost in different eras. the pants are really original and modern, everything else has a classic look to them. i think thats whats bothering me the most

the helmet is nice but why does the stripe end in that spear tip shape? its really cool, but i dont see how it fits in with the rest of the uniform.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

some changes need to be made. i dont like the number font because of the simplicity of the jersey. for something a bit more modern, or with more jersey elements i think it would be better. it just commands so much attention and i think it needs to be a classic font. like the one you used on the throwback.

i love that you used that "chief" pattern. i think the jersey needs it as well, even if its just around the collar. the pants and the rest of the uniform are almost in different eras. the pants are really original and modern, everything else has a classic look to them. i think thats whats bothering me the most

the helmet is nice but why does the stripe end in that spear tip shape? its really cool, but i dont see how it fits in with the rest of the uniform.

I am starting to agree the more I look at it.

The helmet:

5204341587_2c23635f20_o.png

I used this from va tech. I like how it still has the stripe, but the whole back exposed.

On the helmets, if you look closely you can kinda of see a zig-zag color on color stripe. I also tried the whole stripe but to keep it consistent I would have had to go blue/white/orange. and then the whole helmet would have to be half and half. I donno it didn't like it, so I went with this.

AS for the basketball half and half "Illini" I also tried this. I donno, they look alright, but it was too much, and I wanted an outline on the Illini, which the half and half takes away. You can see Bigmike thread (http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77907&st=0&p=1458930&hl=illini&fromsearch=1entry1458930) He did this, but I decided to end up going with this.

IlliniHomeandAwayUniforms.png

As for the navy, don't like the navy. It is our secondary color and should be our secondary. Our color is ORANGE! I think we should have our oranges at home, and blue be occasionally. But I also don't like the monotone blue on blue. This is the only picture I can find of us actually wearing them..

scan0001.jpg

btw: Jack Trudeau, what an ILLINI!

This is coming from a Hawkeye fan, but those helmets are amazing, and would be second best in the big ten.

Sp, I'm in the process of updating this concept.

But I'm thinking that I am going to update all of the Illini sports.

Here is the second installment. BASKETBALL!!!

heading back to the zig-zags.

5732902398_8d871ba400_b.jpg

5732957492_424cc6cd7e_b.jpg

5732959386_5574a59f07_b.jpg

So i used the pretty basic Nike template. I uber simplified it, basic arch text we've always used. (well since I can basically remember). Our AWESOME NUMBERS!!!!

Then my infatuation with that ZIG-ZAG is continued. I even incorporated the dot pattern Nike loves to use on the shorts, and the sweatback pattern (minus the orange, intentional for the retro feel)

Here I used that awesome '89 style, "fighting" above "illini" below! Which we should have never gotten away from.

GillKendall-lg.jpg

I like these in general. I like the zig-zag pattern down the sides, but wouldn't be opposed to using that on the waistband only and going back to the Dee Brown-era side panels. I just always like that uniform. I'm not sold on the alternate either. The wordmark above and below the number generally looks awkward to me on basketball jerseys. I don't think the number font goes well with the throwback style that it's in either. There are some really little things, but I like these. Definitely better than what we wear now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That dot pattern bugs the hell out of me and ruins what you have going on. I think these would look nice with the stripes stopping at the logo. I've always wondered why the Illini went away from the zig-zag. My grandfather had a chair in the 80's with the pattern and the Chief on it (he was an alumnus....and totally pissed when I chose Tulane over U of I).

That dot matrix is sweet, pretty genius idea, nike hasnt done anything this cool with its dot patterns.

Maybe it would look even cooler if you placed the dots closer together near the top, then started to spread them out line by line for even more of a fade effect? Either way, loving this.

Edit: for the white helmet, I'd put: navy stripe, white stripe, orange stripe, in the non-symmetrical style of Arizona, to mimic the pants stripe.

All of these are awesome. Do you mind me asking what template you used for the basketball jerseys?

I used this template

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=77781&st=0&p=1455206entry1455206

thanks to Blase for the creating it, then I used tweaked some aspects, and got rid of the adidas dots.

5736229550_a57fa6858a_b.jpg

updated. Took out piping, small tweaks, shoulder stripes to put the whole zig-zag effect through-out. Blue helmet/pants suggested (I am not to fond of them). Other things...

Archived