How popular is Lacrosse in your city/area?

bigbean24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just graduated from Northern Arizona University, and we had a club team with a pretty big name head coach (Ryan Hanavan), but I know nothing about the players/coaches and who's good or not. I've always been interested, but it's pretty much non-existent in Arizona. We had the Sting for a couple of years, and just as quietly as they came, they were gone. I didn't even notice. I would say lacrosse is most popular almost entirely upper-Midwest and Atlantic/New England regions-- and not a lot of other places.

Question: Why doesn't Maryland have a NLL team? Is it because indoor lacrosse is looked down upon?

Used to have the Washington Power years ago but then they moved to Colorado. 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore would be perfect for an NLL team.

The Baltimore Thunder played at the Baltimore Arena (now 1st Mariner Arena) in the late 80s and early 90s. I went to 1-2 games when they were around.

I'm not sure if indoor lacrosse is necessarily looked down upon in Maryland. However, I think outdoor lacrosse is preferred because that is what most fans here grew up on, so it is looked at as the "normal" version of the sport. Personally, I prefer outdoor lacrosse and that is probably why.

In the newer lacrosse markets, fans don't have that preconceived notion about which version is normal. That may be why indoor lacrosse seems to do well in non-traditional lacrosse markets.

Reason No. 2 for no team in Baltimore -- with the exception of the Baltimore Blast, most teams in minor leagues or minor sports have had trouble drawing fans here. I think some fans think those sports or leagues are somehow beneath them instead of just enjoying them for what they offer.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Some of the bigger public schools in Omaha are just starting up programs. Other than that, it is almost nonexistent. Sporting goods stores are slowly selling more and more equipment, it is clearly gaining popularity, but not enough to follow pro teams or anything.

Really? Which schools, because I'd think Omaha would be the last place for lacrosse to get going.

Some of the bigger public schools in Omaha are just starting up programs. Other than that, it is almost nonexistent. Sporting goods stores are slowly selling more and more equipment, it is clearly gaining popularity, but not enough to follow pro teams or anything.

Really? Which schools, because I'd think Omaha would be the last place for lacrosse to get going.

I know Millard North has a team and I believe Millard West does as well. I'm not sure about middle school and such, but it is starting to show up in high schools (The West-O ones, anyway).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived