New Canadian basketball league announced

Ricky_Roby

Three Canadian basketball teams are banking on the prospects of a new professional league in the country.

The Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs have joined forces to form the National Basketball League, set to begin its inaugural season in October.

New Canadian basketball league set to begin inaugural season in October

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I'm actually really excited about the idea of a Canadian league. For those of you who don't know the story, the three teams (Halifax Rain Men, Saint John Mill Rats, Quebec Kebs) left the Premier Basketball league after complaints of poor (and even corrupt) league management. So now, this new league is starting up.

Don't know if it'll have long term success or not, but it might be worth adding the logos for the Premier Basketball League to the site, as well as keeping up with the new league once it starts in the fall.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three Canadian basketball teams are banking on the prospects of a new professional league in the country.

The Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs have joined forces to form the National Basketball League, set to begin its inaugural season in October.

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I'm actually really excited about the idea of a Canadian league. For those of you who don't know the story, the three teams (Halifax Rain Men, Saint John Mill Rats, Quebec Kebs) left the Premier Basketball league after complaints of poor (and even corrupt) league management. So now, this new league is starting up.

Don't know if it'll have long term success or not, but it might be worth adding the logos for the Premier Basketball League to the site, as well as keeping up with the new league once it starts in the fall.

Looking at the history of the PBL on Wikipedia, they currently only have 1 team after everyone else bailed due to controversy in the officiating of the playoffs.

Looking at the history of the PBL on Wikipedia, they currently only have 1 team after everyone else bailed due to controversy in the officiating of the playoffs.

Yeah, that whole league was one giant mess - hopefully, the new Canadian league will have some consistency with the teams...

I wonder if the three PBL teams will keep the same logos for the new league. The Saint John Mill Rats could take this opportunity to change their awful logo.

Ew, don't dig the black. How nice would that look all red? And is "of Canada" needed to keep the NBA lawyers away?

Also, the players left hand should just disappear in the basketball crease because the fingers that appear below look like a duck.

Will they be playing 6 a side on an extra large court?

:upside:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And a bigger ball.

Missed free throws are worth half a point.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

And a bigger ball.

Missed free throws are worth half a point.

if they're tied after 4 quarters, they play knockout until one man is left standing

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This isn't a Canadian Basketball League it's an Eastern Canadian Basketball League, it looks like they have no desire to have a team west of the Golden Horseshoe. At least this season they don't.

I give the league a survival time of 2 years.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This isn't a Canadian Basketball League it's an Eastern Canadian Basketball League, it looks like they have no desire to have a team west of the Golden Horseshoe. At least this season they don't.

I think you are being generous by giving them two years...

A movie about this could end up being the "Slapshot" of basketball.

I can haz sig?

It is just starting and they probably don't want to sink money in travel expenses just yet. The other basketball league in Canada failed, in part, because it was stretched too thin. Keeping the league in smaller markets may be key for longterm sustainability in the East.

It might surprise some people, but there is a market for sports here (yes, even basketball). Moncton and Halifax have successfully sold-out Track & Field tournaments, CFL games, NHL exhibition games, the 2011 Canada Games and Moncton is bidding to host the FIFA 2015 Women's Cup. Halifax and Saint John have a pretty good fanbase for basketball: the attendance for the Rain Men and the Mill Rats have actually been surprisingly good, and I'm sure some of the other cities could bring it a decent crowd.

I think folks underestimate the love of sports in Atlantic Canada. We don't have any pro teams here, so it's nice to have a chance to actually get out to some games and cheer for our actual "home teams" instead of staying home and watching the big-city teams on TV.

We're talking about refugees from the ABA 2000. I'd rather ignore them and hope they go away.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Winnipeg needs a team. Bring back the Thunder!

WinnipegThunder.GIF or Cyclones! 50294_2215694826_1485_n.jpg

Was a fan of both the Thunder and Cyclones.. would love to see Winnipeg get a basketball team for the summer... and Thunder would be perfect as the logo there is cool!

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived