OKC Thunder Logo

Davidson

I've recently been working on quite a few sports logos projects and have become quite conscious of the visual vernacular of my own style and the wider sports logo style. As a result, I have been playing around with ideas that are a little bit out of my comfort zone and are hopefully just a little more original. There are a few bits Ill post soon, but here is one of the ideas had the other day. Ive noticed some interesting OKC Thunder concepts that have given me a couple of ideas.

Interested to see what people think...

okc.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definetly unlike anything in the NBA right now, looks cool.

The whole logo shape kind of resembles a bomb, but I do like how you've worked a bison and lightning into it.

BTW it's OKLAHOMA not OAK :P

Ta, fixed it, Im a shocking speller.

It's certainly is outside your "comfort zone"! I can see where you wanted to go with this and I think with more tweaking I'm going to really like it.

I think the buffalo might be a bit too abstract. The container does look a bit like a bomb. I think the wordmark can be placed on top to make it more uniform. I don't know if the logo needs such a contrasting highlight and shadow. It might work better to keep it solid and either add subtle hightlights, or just use and outer border.

i like what you're doing here, working in a different style, but its still has your style in the buffalo. the jaged edges and what not. i think the overall shape needs to be simplified with smoother lines. that would help the buffalo head shape be more recognizable and be more timeless. its a bit hard to read right now.

i love that you've included all the colors but you should revisit that. it looks as if its 2 logos split down the middle and put together. this could easily be a 2 color logo, but maybe it needs no more than 3?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I think the biggest problem is the split of the two colors down the logo, it's abstract enough already and then the color split adds a little too much abstraction to it. I think one that is changed it's a pretty good logo.

The lightning bolt resembles the S.S. bolt. Given the slight bomb image noted by others and the white supremacists behind the 1995 OKC bombing that could be a pretty controversial design. I like the colors though

It's a bit hard to read. I'm seeing a guy in a viking helmet that shield his nose with grinning above his chin strap.

Bravo trying to work in all the Thunder's colors. I would think the best approach might be to make the head with dark blue and use the yellow and orange as highlights/ lowlights. In any case, I know you'll knock us one our asses when you get you head wrapped around a brilliant way of executing this.

I think the biggest problem is the split of the two colors down the logo, it's abstract enough already and then the color split adds a little too much abstraction to it. I think one that is changed it's a pretty good logo.

The lightning bolt resembles the S.S. bolt. Given the slight bomb image noted by others and the white supremacists behind the 1995 OKC bombing that could be a pretty controversial design. I like the colors though

Wow. The logo is an 88kb file and I live only 400 miles from Berlin and Im white. Coincidence? I think not.

Wow. The logo is an 88kb file and I live only 400 miles from Berlin and Im white. Coincidence? I think not.

:lol:

Interesting approach, I like the direction but it's a little abstract. I'd prefer the buff to be a bit more defined, but I think you're cooking with gas on this one. Cool!

Edit: As I looked at it more, I realized what I was seeing - the blackbird from X-men, looks like it's in a nose dive.

xJet09.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

While it is abstract, I think that it works. It differentiates enough from other sports logos to be a recognizable mark for a young team (and by that I mean the franchise, not the players). I also like how it is split down the middle. It works in all of their colors, while still giving off a shadow effect. I'm interested to see where you go with this.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I'm not feeling the split. It sort of gives an effect that the logo is folded down a seam and the sides are away from the viewer. However, the words and the star negate that effect fully.

BTW- didn't SS officers dabble in the occult and have pentagrams on the floor? Pentagrams with a five sided star? DUM DUM DUM!

Cheers for the (non conspiracy theory) feedback guys. I have made a few subtle changes to the shapes that hopefully assuage some of the issues with recognition.

okc2.png

davidson, could you explain to me the intended features of the buffalo a little? I want to know if I am looking at it correctly, or if I am not seeing it as how you are trying to portray it.

My first view of it was that the blue section is the nose, and the orange part is more the jawline. But now I can't stop looking at it as the lower orange part representing his body, and that the head essential ends with the formation of the nose.

I know you have incorporated a number of crests in your logo design, and this shape deviates from that a little, but only the Nets and Thunder use a "standard" crest design in the NBA. Widening the top and narrowing the bottom a little more might allow you to accentuate the buffalo horns a little more.

Or perhaps you could keep a similar shape, but extend the horns past it, which could help "bookend" the Oklahoma City lettering.

I don't know, just some thoughts.

While very well rendered, it's frustrating to try and figure out what this is. I'm struggling to see the buffalo, primarily because of the color of the nose. The way that the white is the brightest color in the pallete makes it really stand out against the darker, muted colors. That being said, what should be the nose is coming off as a mouth to me. I'd make it the light blue or something and give the buffalo some eyes, just so it's more distinct. Also, it's way too vertical, I'd squash the logo a bit or work the wordmark piece to the shield, just to save space. The lightning bolt makes much more sense than the star does as well.

The idea is there (as well as originality), all you need is some refining. Great work as always.

Archived