OKC Thunder Logo

Davidson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better, but since you have a white/lighter area around the nose that mimics the same color of the lighter star/brand across the forehead, I keep reading it as teeth.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Love the colors. I also read the white area in the nose too much as teeth. Maybe some white eyes could help the features read better? Don't like the way the text is handled. the banners need something more, or maybe separate the text from the shield.I also liked the straight shield better than the tapered one. Simply changing the shape of the top could have gotten away from the bomb look, I think. Maybe the top of the shield has the horns and the round crown of the head.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i think if the shield was more of US sports shape (i.e. Nets, Thunder, etc) this would have real potential. I would also keep lightning bolt & ditch the star. Right now this looks soccer which is not bad but does not say basketball.. You should throw in a baskeball! :grin: LOL.

Here's my issue with it and it's the only issue. The star or the lighting bolt in the center is too geometrical or straight as compared to the rest of the shape of the buffalo. If you could somehow incorporate the star or the bolt into the head like the rest of the style, it will set back and won't stand out as much. Make it look like the fur just happened to form that shape. Excellent job though.

I like how yorue trying to tackle a Thunder logo. I know almost everyone out there would rather see something like this as opposed to what they really have. The one element of the real OKC logo I do like is the soccer shaped crest. I dont know if your set on this 'bomb' shape, but Im a fan of the real crest.

-I liked the lightning bolt over the updated star. the bolt at least has some connection to the idea of Thunder. like someone else said, the single star reminds me of Texas and Im sure OK people would not like that since the state is already overshadowed by its neighboring state all the time.

-Im not a fan of the split down the center. I know the Thunder have so many colors and the split makes it easier to use all those colors, but to me the split is more distracting than anything.

-I also dont understand the jag in the horns. It gives the horns a fur feel.

-One last thing, maybe adding a little white to the eye would make the eyes more noticeable and give those people who are having difficulty seeing this clearly a better idea as to what's what.

Obviously you know what youre doing, and I think just a few changes could make this work better.

I really like this. I bet some people (average non-design fan) will see the negative space/shape above and below the face first, but I think its a great logo. As someone living in Seattle who is bitter towards the Thunder organization (not the players or city) and thus refuses to buy OKC merchandise - I would wear this. Seems like it still needs some fine tuning, but I'm on board.

I agree that the color split isn't necessary and somewhat distracting. I'd be curious to see how it would look if the entire outline were orange and the nose and star or thunder bolt were yellow?

I'll echo several things people have said here.

1) The lightning bolt over the star. Definitely, and the bolt should be fairly easy enough to tackle to avoid any SS-like symbols.

2) The Split needs to go. My idea is to do the crest with orange as the outer lines, yellow as the inner lines, and then use the two to add just a little more defining detail to the buffalo.

My other suggestion is to maybe use orange or yellow detail to add in the eyes, just to make it a bit more apparent. That's the one thing that bugged me most, as I think just having that small detail would make it much easier to make out a buffalo, rather than, say, a viking like another person thought. However, I love the crest approach and it's a solid concept. One last suggestion is to maybe smooth out the lines at the top of the head, make the horns come up enough to let the 'jagged lines = lightning' implication come in more.

8VvwoNps.png

1) The lightning bolt over the star. Definitely, and the bolt should be fairly easy enough to tackle to avoid any SS-like symbols.

2) The Split needs to go. My idea is to do the crest with orange as the outer lines, yellow as the inner lines, and then use the two to add just a little more defining detail to the buffalo.

My other suggestion is to maybe use orange or yellow detail to add in the eyes, just to make it a bit more apparent. That's the one thing that bugged me most, as I think just having that small detail would make it much easier to make out a buffalo, rather than, say, a viking like another person thought. However, I love the crest approach and it's a solid concept. One last suggestion is to maybe smooth out the lines at the top of the head, make the horns come up enough to let the 'jagged lines = lightning' implication come in more.

But you see this is the thing. I know how to make a very bland standard logo out of this. The recognition aspect is something I may take a look at (although it's only folk on the board who seem to struggle with the recognition) everyone I've showed seems to get it straight away? The point is to make something that is a little different.

But you see this is the thing. I know how to make a very bland standard logo out of this. The recognition aspect is something I may take a look at (although it's only folk on the board who seem to struggle with the recognition) everyone I've showed seems to get it straight away? The point is to make something that is a little different.

instead of getting cleaner with the buffalo, how about adding some of that jagged edge style to the banners or typeface? it would give the whole thing a bit more unity. i just think theres too much contrast between the smooth containing shape and the sharp buffalo. that may be whats putting people off the most?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm liking it so far but the containing shape for the buffalo looks awkward to me. Possible solution: since the NBA generally wants all teams to have a basketball in their primary logo, maybe try replacing the capsule-like shape with a basketball? On the navy side, you could have the lines in light blue, and vice versa.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm liking it so far but the containing shape for the buffalo looks awkward to me. Possible solution: since the NBA generally wants all teams to have a basketball in their primary logo, maybe try replacing the capsule-like shape with a basketball? On the navy side, you could have the lines in light blue, and vice versa.

hell to the no

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Fraser, I got it in a heartbeat. It is totally an allegory to the city of Berlin, and how it was divided by the wall. You naughty minx.

I'd like to see the shield become in some way the body of the buffalo. It is starting to read that way already, try pushing it the rest of the way and seeing if that helps.

hell to the no

Really? What's so wrong with that idea? Right now, the logo looks a bit like a soccer crest as opposed to a basketball logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived