NBA Uniforms Project

Hoopskid

Any progress?

http://whosbestnbateam.blogspot.com/

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Close to the edge, down by the river, Down at the end, round by the corner

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down -Yes

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything?

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

I haven't posted in a while because I'm changing how these will be posted. It'll now be website based, I'll have the first couple of teams up in a couple weeks.

The reason I'm switching to web based is once I make the jersey images it's a lot easier to change/edit dates, patches, small details on a website than it is by recreating entire sheets.

Sorry for the long delay, but I promise the final product will be worth the wait! (hopefully :D )

Cool, hope to see them soon

buffbraves.png

I was looking for something else on getty images and thought what the hell, I'll look up the Buffalo Braves. The first thing I discovered is that a lot of the Getty Images photo dates are really screwed up; there is one with a particularly bad date of "January 1970" on a photo of Bill Walton in his first season in Portland but it shows up in Buffalo Braves searches from his time with the Clippers; it even says "Clippers Center Bill Walton" in the byline. However, some of them can be IDed more accurately by players in the photos, other uniforms that are better known, and by some of the Sports Illustrated photos (particularly Walter Ioose as long as they have the SI byline - he was anal about dates with them; if someone else posted it then who knows):

#1 version looks like it was used in the 1971/72 and 1972/73 seasons - unless there was a mid-season change they were used in at least November 1972 indicating they were likely used the entire season.

#3 version looks like it was used in the 1973/74 and the 1974/75 seasons - there's a Neil Leifer photo on an SI cover from April 28, 1975.

#2 version I never found; however, from 1975/76 through 1977/78 (last season in Buffalo) they used something similar to #2 except the home jerseys say "Braves", not "Buffalo". I've never found a photo of them with the v-neck jersey with "Buffalo" on it, only "Braves". These are what I remember them wearing in the 70s - granted I didn't watch much NBA until the 1974/75 season finals when the Warriors beat the Bullets; we had a great ABA team here in KY (the Colonels, who were the '75 ABA champs) so I never watched the NBA until the ABA playoffs were over.

There is only one color photo of the original darker blue/gold/red uniform and it's dated January 1971, but there's nothing else in the photo that helps get a better fix on the date. I would assume those were only used in Season 1, the the #1 on this for seasons 2 and 3, #3 used in seasons 4 and 5, and the modified version of #2 in seasons 6, 7 and 8.

This is a photo of Swen Nater from the '77-'78 season .... v-neck with 'BUFFALO' on it ... hope this helps

SwenNater_Buf_77-78-1.jpg

buffbraves.png

I was looking for something else on getty images and thought what the hell, I'll look up the Buffalo Braves. The first thing I discovered is that a lot of the Getty Images photo dates are really screwed up; there is one with a particularly bad date of "January 1970" on a photo of Bill Walton in his first season in Portland but it shows up in Buffalo Braves searches from his time with the Clippers; it even says "Clippers Center Bill Walton" in the byline. However, some of them can be IDed more accurately by players in the photos, other uniforms that are better known, and by some of the Sports Illustrated photos (particularly Walter Ioose as long as they have the SI byline - he was anal about dates with them; if someone else posted it then who knows):

#1 version looks like it was used in the 1971/72 and 1972/73 seasons - unless there was a mid-season change they were used in at least November 1972 indicating they were likely used the entire season.

#3 version looks like it was used in the 1973/74 and the 1974/75 seasons - there's a Neil Leifer photo on an SI cover from April 28, 1975.

#2 version I never found; however, from 1975/76 through 1977/78 (last season in Buffalo) they used something similar to #2 except the home jerseys say "Braves", not "Buffalo". I've never found a photo of them with the v-neck jersey with "Buffalo" on it, only "Braves". These are what I remember them wearing in the 70s - granted I didn't watch much NBA until the 1974/75 season finals when the Warriors beat the Bullets; we had a great ABA team here in KY (the Colonels, who were the '75 ABA champs) so I never watched the NBA until the ABA playoffs were over.

There is only one color photo of the original darker blue/gold/red uniform and it's dated January 1971, but there's nothing else in the photo that helps get a better fix on the date. I would assume those were only used in Season 1, the the #1 on this for seasons 2 and 3, #3 used in seasons 4 and 5, and the modified version of #2 in seasons 6, 7 and 8.

This is a photo of Swen Nater from the '77-'78 season .... v-neck with 'BUFFALO' on it ... hope this helps

SwenNater_Buf_77-78-1.jpg

Sorry I wasn't clear in my earlier post; I was referring to being unable to find the home jerseys with "Buffalo" instead of "Braves" in the light blue era; the road jerseys always said "Buffalo" on both versions of the light blue. Hoopskid accidentaly put "Buffalo" instead of "Braves" on the white v-neck in his illustration.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my earlier post; I was referring to being unable to find the home jerseys with "Buffalo" instead of "Braves" in the light blue era; the road jerseys always said "Buffalo" on both versions of the light blue. Hoopskid accidentaly put "Buffalo" instead of "Braves" on the white v-neck in his illustration.

No worries ....

It's funny, with all the BRAVES games I attended at the Aud as a kid, I have no memory about whether or not we wore v-necks at home, the change to the light blue is all my memory has and the fact that '74/'75 was a great season but the BULLETS beat us in the 7th game of the playoffs.

The following year we beat the SIXERS in OT in the 1st-round, was only best of 3 then for the bottom playoff teams. We then lost to the CELTICS in 6 after that series. Then Dr. Jack left and it was downhill after that ...

I've since sent out a few feelers to local connections back in the Buffalo area. So I'll keep you posted. I know of one person who was a big fan of Randy Smith, and one of Ernie D, so I'm hoping either or both have some good ones.

Here's what I've got so far from my own collection ... unfortunately they all say 'BRAVES' at home ... not 'BUFFALO' .. the first 3 of McAdoo were taken in the earlier years of the jersey change to the Light Blue from the Orange and black. Funny seeing Kareem still in his Milwaukee jersey, he left for the LAKERS after the '74/'75 season ...

The v-neck may was definitely worn on the road as we saw in the Swen Nater photo, but are we 100% sure the '77/'78 home jersey had a v-neck and read 'BUFFALO' rather than 'BRAVES', or was that an error, I'm a bit confused ??

The bottom photo of Wil Jones was taken in 1977, I had found that one on eBay .... I just don't know if it was from '76/'77 or the '77/'78 season.

mcadoo_home.jpg

mcadoo_home_bucks.jpg

mcadoo_home_freethrow.jpg

wil_jones_1977.jpg

No worries ....

It's funny, with all the BRAVES games I attended at the Aud as a kid, I have no memory about whether or not we wore v-necks at home, the change to the light blue is all my memory has and the fact that '74/'75 was a great season but the BULLETS beat us in the 7th game of the playoffs.

The following year we beat the SIXERS in OT in the 1st-round, was only best of 3 then for the bottom playoff teams. We then lost to the CELTICS in 6 after that series. Then Dr. Jack left and it was downhill after that ...

I've since sent out a few feelers to local connections back in the Buffalo area. So I'll keep you posted. I know of one person who was a big fan of Randy Smith, and one of Ernie D, so I'm hoping either or both have some good ones.

Here's what I've got so far from my own collection ... unfortunately they all say 'BRAVES' at home ... not 'BUFFALO' .. the first 3 of McAdoo were taken in the earlier years of the jersey change to the Light Blue from the Orange and black. Funny seeing Kareem still in his Milwaukee jersey, he left for the LAKERS after the '74/'75 season ...

The v-neck may was definitely worn on the road as we saw in the Swen Nater photo, but are we 100% sure the '77/'78 home jersey had a v-neck and read 'BUFFALO' rather than 'BRAVES', or was that an error, I'm a bit confused ??

The bottom photo of Wil Jones was taken in 1977, I had found that one on eBay .... I just don't know if it was from '76/'77 or the '77/'78 season.

wil_jones_1977.jpg

The second photo of Bob McAdoo vs. the Bucks has to be no later than '74/75 - because he's playing against Kareem, who left for the Lakers after that season.

The Wil Jones photo is kind of odd because it is definitly from '77/'78 - that was the first year the Nuggets wore that style uniform. Most photos I found on Getty showed them wearing the V-neck jerseys in '75/'76 - like this photo of them vs. the '76ers. Based on the typface of the Sixers jersey it had to be no later than '75/'76 since they changed to block letters for '76/'77. I guess maybe they wore them both at the same time. Here's a Getty photo from '76:

73374041.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD8F533ACAB6A509C0B8477E2F450587B3BBD997B2807B122B

I've said be before, and I apologize for the confusion but I accidentally didn't change the wordmark on that home uniform. It should be BRAVES.

Discogod, I'm pretty sure that both home and road had V-necks from that era:

103037585.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BF

88898008.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFB

(incase the pics don't show, it's getty images-editorial sports - search: buffalo braves 1977) :D

Sometimes game pics can be deceiving because the dates on getty images aren't always exact and it may have been a preseason game. Also, what teams wore wasn't very consistent... I have a picture that shows an in-game celtics huddle with 3 different pairs/styles of shorts. :wacko:

I've said be before, and I apologize for the confusion but I accidentally didn't change the wordmark on that home uniform. It should be BRAVES.

(incase the pics don't show, it's getty images-editorial sports - search: buffalo braves 1977) :D

Sometimes game pics can be deceiving because the dates on getty images aren't always exact and it may have been a preseason game. Also, what teams wore wasn't very consistent... I have a picture that shows an in-game celtics huddle with 3 different pairs/styles of shorts. :wacko:

It's a shame the Braves left Buffalo to become the Clippers. I'd like to think if they stayed they would have made something of themselves.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Well, look at that. I've gone through pretty much every Braves photo on Getty & never caught that. The home V-neck has to be from '76-77, that was the only season Moses Malone (who's in some of the photos) wore #21 for Houston.

The Braves' home unis NEVER had "Buffalo" on them - that was an error. AFAIK, the home jerseys never had v-necks, either...

Team photo taken in 1976 ... 1976/1977 '75-'76 season .... v-necks

10 points for GRYFFINDOR Discogod! :grin:

(sorry not in color)

braves_team_photo_76-1.jpg

The Braves' home unis NEVER had "Buffalo" on them - that was an error. AFAIK, the home jerseys never had v-necks, either...

Team photo ... 1976/1977 season .... v-necks

(sorry not in color)

Doubt that it's 1976/77... That's Jack Ramsay on the side, and he was busy winning a title with Portland that season.

braves_team_photo_76-1.jpg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Doubt that it's 1976/77... That's Jack Ramsay on the side, and he was busy winning a title with Portland that season.

Typo .... photo was supposedly taken in 1976 ... from the '75-'76 season

Good catch ....

That team photo would have been taken before the '75-76 season, based on the players. So we can say fairly conclusively that the Braves wore the v-necks for at least 2 seasons, and probably for the '77-78 season as well (check out the youtube clip of Braves vs. Cavs from Xmas '77 - they're wearing v-necks in that).

I guess the Braves' uni timeline goes thusly:

1970-71 - Red, Royal, Gold w/ cursive script

1971-73 - Orange, Black, White w/ diagonal stripes

1973-75 - Columbia Blue, Black, White w/round necks

1975-78 - As above w/ v-necks

Something I found that backs this up:

1977 Media Guide Cover:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FmC64YYE_3g/SacwOScT0yI/AAAAAAAAAPM/OlWB4qpsfiw/s1600-h/7677.jpg

'74 Playoffs

'76

'77

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmZQkE0ilU&feature=related

Hope to see some stuff soon.......

Archived