DC United Crest

Firefly

I was hacking away at another concept that included elements of other DC teams. When I got around to DC United, I was sorely disappointed. At a glance, it seems kinda cool. Red. Black. Eagle. But a anything more than a glance brings up problems. What's with the eyes? The head? The thin looking star and ball?

So I reworked the head. Turned it to the right as I felt it was more powerful and foward looking. Thickened lines. Extended the wings. New ball.

I worked a few different wordmarks as well.

DC-UNITED-II.png

I like the left best. I see the second one as "United DC". The other one makes it kinda hard to read United. I do like the flag concept though. if you went with that motif throughout, and dropped the yellow. That would be cool. But if you want to keep the yellow, I would make it more of a part of the total logo.

Messed with the wings. Wanted to work in more of a gold accented feel. Esp. with the gold against the black. Allowed windows to develop in between the wings to make the wings seem more complex (and it kinda reminds me of a Pontiac Firebird). I also like how the white and the red play together. Invokes the flag without making it obvious.

DC-UNITED-III.png

throw out hte strikethrough on the third one. I think it sends th ewrong message. The head is better but you may need to do something to the wings.

it's not a strikethrough, it's the flag of DC. On that note, it might look better if the letters were black on the last one, instead of white

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

it's not a strikethrough, it's the flag of DC. On that note, it might look better if the letters were black on the last one, instead of white

Tried that. It was dreadful. Made it very difficult to read the flag. My thinking with the white is that it was as if the letters grew out from the white stripe. I tried a stroke around the letters as well but didn't like the energy.

I'm thinking of making the flag part of the inside shield. I'll post it later.

I love it man.

I've always said DC United's crest looks so outdated, like it's out of the 80s.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Perfection. I wish they would update their crest, it needs it badly. Sad thing is that its not their original crest. :wacko:

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Beautiful. DC United have one of the most unique identity's in MLS and I think you successfully modified their logo without abdonding their past. My only question is what if they move to Baltimore? What could this look like?

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Beautiful. DC United have one of the most unique identity's in MLS and I think you successfully modified their logo without abdonding their past. My only question is what if they move to Baltimore? What could this look like?

At the risk of sounding confrontational, which is not my intent, why would they change anything if they moved to Baltimore? Baltimore is still in the District of Columbia.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Smoothing things out.

DC-UNITED-V.png

My only question is what if they move to Baltimore? What could this look like?

Would Baltimore United use an oriole? I image the Maryland flag would make an appearance. I don't know much more about Baltimore other than what I've seen on Homicide or The Wire. In any case I imagine they would want to look totally different.

Good concept, I like where you're going. Couple comments:

- I'm not a big fan of the wings, it makes it look a lot like the Pontiac Firebird logo (not really your fault). I'd try making it look a bit more like there's actual feathers, as the really abstract wings don't go with the more realistic head you've added.

- I'm not digging the red shading on the ball.

- I'm not a big fan of the wings, it makes it look a lot like the Pontiac Firebird logo (not really your fault). I'd try making it look a bit more like there's actual feathers, as the really abstract wings don't go with the more realistic head you've added.

I would think the route would be to then make the head less realistic as changing the wings would mean changing the tail, then we'd have to worry about talons, porportions, etc. I thought about straightening the wings which could be a nod to the original crest. Only to have the wings point upward. Pehaps with a similar angle that VW employs in their logo.

BTW- I like to imagine this Firebird like eagle emblazoned on the hood of a suped up car as Obama slides across it. He then guns the engine and rides to sweet, sweet freedom. Ain't that America?!!

At the risk of sounding confrontational, which is not my intent, why would they change anything if they moved to Baltimore? Baltimore is still in the District of Columbia.

You need a new map, bro.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

Baltimore is an independent city in the state of Maryland. The District of Columbia is the District of Columbia. It is where the U.S. has it's capital. Baltimore is NOT in the district. And being a Virginian, I loathe D.C. sports anyways, so if the team moved to Baltimore I would support them that much more.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Baltimore is an independent city in the state of Maryland. The District of Columbia is the District of Columbia. It is where the U.S. has it's capital. Baltimore is NOT in the district. And being a Virginian, I loathe D.C. sports anyways, so if the team moved to Baltimore I would support them that much more.

My bad.

I probably should have just googled that before making that post. My face is now red.

Suddenly I understand why I hear some DC United fans are 100% against moving to Baltimore.

Going more abstract.

DC-UNITED-VI.png

Ooh, liking this new direction! But with the "feathers" of the wings being straight lines now, I think you need to make the bottom wings feathers match the angle of the star (the way the tail feathers do). Right now to me it looks like those bottom wing feathers are supposed to outline the star, but it's just slightly off.

Great work!

Archived