Help Clean up the Concepts Forum

exaccardi

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This thread is here for those of us who actually enjoy looking at concepts to discuss solutions to the recent epidemic of trolling/witch hunting/whatever you want to call it on this once great forum. Anyone and everyone is welcome and encouraged to comment, since this needs to be dealt with soon. To kick things off, i'll pose a couple of questions.

---What's the real problem?

---Can we fix it?

---If we can fix it HOW do we fix it?

also feel free to reminisce about the good old days when someone could post a concept without their thread being hijacked and run into the ground.

Have at it boys.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what people need to do:

• Stop plagiarizing. Come up with original ideas or don't post a concept at all.
  • Stop being cocky and egotistical. Just because you're good at drawing or you made a highly-viewed concept doesn't mean you're God's gift to the design world.
  • Take actual time on your concepts. Five-minute, imagination-free fill-tool extravaganzas are not looked upon highly here, and for good reason. Stop wasting our time when we want to see a good, inspiring concept. And "I just got Inkscape" is not an excuse for sloppiness or a lack of creativity. Learn the software first, and THEN start making concepts to show us.
  • Give helpful, constructive criticism. Popping into a thread to quickly say "this concept sux" or "OMG BEST CONCEPT EVAR!!!!111one" without explaining your opinion helps nobody.
  • Stop post-padding. It's become so bad that I've started to notice one-character posts on here. This is not Twitter. Explain your thoughts thoroughly.
  • Stop bumping threads so much. And yeah, putting a "what option do you like the best" poll counts, because it's abundantly clear that noobs do this just so their threads will be bumped without them having to post.
  • If you're going to make a joke concept, make it worthwhile. Protip: a rainbow uniform for a team called the "San Francisco Seamen" is not worthwhile. It's just a cliche, unfunny, bigoted gay joke in graphic form.

Did I leave anything off?

Here's what people need to do:

• Stop plagiarizing. Come up with original ideas or don't post a concept at all.
  • Stop being cocky and egotistical. Just because you're good at drawing or you made a highly-viewed concept doesn't mean you're God's gift to the design world.
  • Take actual time on your concepts. Five-minute, imagination-free fill-tool extravaganzas are not looked upon highly here, and for good reason. Stop wasting our time when we want to see a good, inspiring concept. And "I just got Inkscape" is not an excuse for sloppiness or a lack of creativity. Learn the software first, and THEN start making concepts to show us.
  • Give helpful, constructive criticism. Popping into a thread to quickly say "this concept sux" or "OMG BEST CONCEPT EVAR!!!!111one" without explaining your opinion helps nobody.
  • Stop post-padding. It's become so bad that I've started to notice one-character posts on here. This is not Twitter. Explain your thoughts thoroughly.
  • Stop bumping threads so much. And yeah, putting a "what option do you like the best" poll counts, because it's abundantly clear that noobs do this just so their threads will be bumped without them having to post.
  • If you're going to make a joke concept, make it worthwhile. Protip: a rainbow uniform for a team called the "San Francisco Seamen" is not worthwhile. It's just a cliche, unfunny, bigoted gay joke in graphic form.

Did I leave anything off?

I'll add...

- if you ask for c&c, take it seriously. Don't get offended when someone gives honest criticism. If you don't want or care to listen to the criticism, maybe you shouldn't post it. Share it on your Facebook wall or something.

I think if people here were more honest on these boards, saying when a concept is terrible (and why, there has to be a constructive why), we'd get more people fixing their concepts instead of them being forgotten as they move off the first page. If people don't have any responses, I think that's more disheartening than getting bad responses.

The other side of that coin, and something that I think could be very helpful to this board, would be a "like" button on posts. Yes, I know it's copying facebook, but I can't tell you how many times someone says something perfect, and I completely agree with them, but posting something to that extent would be pointless. It would cut down on the redundancy of posts and at the same time, encourage more participation.

I like the idea of a like button- if not for individual posts, then for threads-

-it would be a good way to eliminate "should i continue with this concept" polls

-it could potentially get rid of bumps

-it can keep a thread alive for those who enjoy the thread but don't feel like posting

non-admin/mod started threads that encourage any sort of unification effort against a contingency on a message board usually does nothing to stop the issue at hand. Don't. Feed. The trolls. They feed on attention and things like this are fuel for the fire.

non-admin/mod started threads that encourage any sort of unification effort against a contingency on a message board usually does nothing to stop the issue at hand. Don't. Feed. The trolls. They feed on attention and things like this are fuel for the fire.

THAT. Right there. Is step one.

Step two...refuse the urge to reply to said troll-bait--in other words, IGNORE it, and the poster(s) who dangle to troll-bait. If someone posts a garbage comment in your thread, don't even bother to respond to it. Just skip it and move on. A little bit of self-restraint can go a long way towards keeping things civil around here.

Beyond that, I'll say this: this community is full of people with varying degrees of artistic talent/ability. That however does not mean that any particular poster may not still have an idea he or she wishes to share with the world, however raw it may be. As far as software, keep this in mind: MS Paint, CorelDraw, Adobe PS/Illustrator, what have you...they're all tools. Some people have access to them; some don't, and as such they pretty much gotta use what they got; however, not even the most powerful, up-to-date tool can compensate for lack of skill, creativity, and/or originality. All that said, I think it's pretty easy to tell when a creative idea, or at least some real thought and/or effort, was put into someone's work. May be super-clean, may not be clean--some simply may not know how to export properly (or what that even is), things of that nature. Don't lose sight of what the purpose of this forum is for in the first place--"got an idea to share with the world? Post it here!"--or something to that effect.

Someone hit on this upthread, but I'll touch on it again: honest critiques and open minds (that is, not taking offense to "negative" critiques) will go a long way towards helping people's concepts, and skills, improve and grow. Even us "established vets" came in as starry-eyed noobs at some point, some of cranking out concepts at a rapid-fire pace (ME!! ME!!); I don't doubt any of us who've been here a while have gone through some sort of improvement process during that time. May also help if some of the more established vets came around a bit more often--but, most have also moved on and/or are probably busy with other things and may not have the time like they (we) used to. I know I myself don't visit the section nearly enough due to work and everything else, but the few times I have been in there lately, I've seen some things that I really like.

I guess to wrap this up, just remember that critiques & criticisms are intended to help the poster see strengths and weaknesses. To that end, it'll help if more people actually specified what it is they like/don't like about a concept, as well as why. That right there is the key. Just remember opinions are all subjective.

+1. Even in situations where the intent is golden, the outcome usually turns to a pissing contest.

The Mods here do great work. They can mediate when needed.

Ban anyone who plagiarizes for a month or so.

but then how do you judge plaigarism? obviously some people think that we won't notice when they dig up a concept from the graveyard and try to claim it as their own, but there are certain posters who cry wolf as soon as an image looks vaguely like a logo they saw once.

but then how do you judge plaigarism? obviously some people think that we won't notice when they dig up a concept from the graveyard and try to claim it as their own, but there are certain posters who cry wolf as soon as an image looks vaguely like a logo they saw once.

Obviously the former would be banned. The latter wouldn't be. Only with conclusive, open-and-shut cases I guess. The important thing is to make sure it doesn't happen.

Obviously the former would be banned. The latter wouldn't be. Only with conclusive, open-and-shut cases I guess. The important thing is to make sure it doesn't happen.

The threat of such a banning might be enough to reduce the former, and you'll always have some of the latter. Make it a pretty automatic ban with the ability to appeal it.

Not enitrely related to the topic, but could we get a sig/avatar/wallpaper thread going and have a post minimum to be able to request anything. I feel this would encourage more posts and creativity through out the boards.

If you're going to do a series, then either wait until your series is finished and post in one thread, or if you're doing a MLB series then post by division. There is nothing more frustrating than a series started that stops or one that has one concept on page one, another on page 3 due to comments and another on page 8. Put your concept series together and then let people comment.

If I see someone stating "I have a whole series", but they don't post anything, I graveyard them.

I understand that sometimes life happens, and you can't post right away, but in that case, don't post until you have something.

This goes for people whose concept is nothing more than text (move this team to that division), or wanting others to come up with the ideas.

Concepts are for YOUR concepts, not other people's work based on your idea (exception: contests).

Archived