mbannon's NFL Expansion

mbannon92

NFC.pngHAW.pngCLB.pngBlank.pngBlank.pngBlank.pngBlank.pngBlank.pngUTAH-1.pngAFC.png

***Click on a helmet above to link to team's post***

Well, this thread has been in the works for 8 years, ever since I started making up teams and drawing them on paper. I've expanded the NFL to 40 teams, adding a team to each division. (Yeah yeah, I know that's not gonna happen with the lockout and whatnot, but stick with me here.) Some of the teams are mbannon originals, dating back to my elementary and middle school days, and some are new ideas I've come up with in the past year or so. I'll post the teams one at a time, taking suggestions and criticisms, and when I feel that the team is just as I want it, I'll move on. I'll give a little description of what I was thinking with each team and post links to the logos and each uniform, which have been done on the Pro Combat template.

Well, enough talk, let's get to the concept!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawaii Kahunas

HAWHelmet-2.png

NFC West

MJB

MJB

So, the Hawaii Knights are the first football team I ever designed, so I had to keep them around. The logo has remained unchanged, a combined H and K in teal with black accents. The alternate logo has been modified from the original. It's a shield with an H and K on it with crossed swords in front. I really like how this one turned out. The wordmark is a simple "Knights" with the K from the logo. For the uniforms, I kept the Pats/Panthers-style shoulder stripes, and added pants stripes to match. The numbers are a modified version of the Broncos number font. The helmet stripe comes to a point in the back.

I put the team in the NFC instead of the AFC mainly because the three "West Coast" teams in the NFC are closer to Hawaii than those in the AFC. Also, the team I put in the AFC West will have a natural rival in the division.

Now have at it!

Love this thread! Digging the primary and uniforms, but the swords secondary just is missing something. I don't know what however... Why the Hawaii Knights as well? Like name choice.

Glad you like it! And on the name...I have absolutely no idea! Guess that's just the mind of a 10 year old happy.gif

Looks unis much like Jacksonville. BTW Home uni and Home alt are the same just with a script change. Unnecessary. Otherwise, I love it. Also there is no script logo that says "Hawaii".

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

Nice concept, I think the jerseys are possibly the strongest part, the color balance is nice and the gold piping works really well, I think this is an example of piping done right. The interlocking HK is a pretty solid mark, but I can't say I love the way that is translates to different logos (color-wise) on different colored backgrounds. That being said, the font for the wordmarks looks good, same with the number font on th jerseys, I'm a fan. The crossed swords logo is, in my opinion, the weakest part of this concept. The swords have a very weird proportioning on the blade, it looks too fat and should have a sharp, dangerous look. Further, I don't think the beveling on the shield is too effective because it's pretty hard to read with the swords in front of it. Refine this logo and I think you have a great concept, looking forward to more updates in this series.

Looks unis much like Jacksonville. BTW Home uni and Home alt are the same just with a script change. Unnecessary. Otherwise, I love it. Also there is no script logo that says "Hawaii".

The Home has blue pants, while the Alt has white pants. And a lot of teams don't have a script for the city (Ravens, 49ers, Chiefs come to mind).

Thanks for the comments guys. I understand the similarity to the Jags, but the colors were originally teal and black, and I liked the addition of gold, so that's not gonna change. And with 40 teams, it's hard to come up with a completely original color scheme!

I'll revisit the logos as well. I'll work on the alt and modify the black background primary to make it more consistent.

Great stuff so far, MJB...

I also see the similarities to UH and Jacksonville. An additional color may further differentiate the Knights from them...I'd suggest a (lighter) turquoise or a creole blue as that color.

Looking forward to the other teams...keep it up!

[447]

I'm left questioning myslef as to the reasoning behind a team that hails from Honolulu being called "the Knights". Couldn't you pick something more meaningful to an island that has such a distinct culture? I mean, you really have to appreciate what it would mean for Hawaii if they were to be awarded an NFL franchise. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't spend all that cash, only to give this team a very generic nickname. The nickname would have to be very specific to Hawaiian culture, as this would most definitely be "Hawaii's team".

You have the HK logo, so I'm just going to throw this out there: Hawaii Kahunas.

Other than that, visually speaking and whatnot, this is really good stuff. I commend your work. A little reminiscent of the Jaguars, but very well executed.

thecatch.jpg

I'm left questioning myslef as to the reasoning behind a team that hails from Honolulu being called "the Knights". Couldn't you pick something more meaningful to an island that has such a distinct culture? I mean, you really have to appreciate what it would mean for Hawaii if they were to be awarded an NFL franchise. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't spend all that cash, only to give this team a very generic nickname. The nickname would have to be very specific to Hawaiian culture, as this would most definitely be "Hawaii's team".

You have the HK logo, so I'm just going to throw this out there: Hawaii Kahunas.

Other than that, visually speaking and whatnot, this is really good stuff. I commend your work. A little reminiscent of the Jaguars, but very well executed.

I like that a lot! I just looked up kahuna....it's defined as a "priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession," so that would actually work great!

Anyone now have any suggestions on a new secondary logo?

I like the jerseys although I normally dont like white helmets with darker colored pants and tops, but the design is nice. The number font on the home jersey looks like a different font than the others. Am I just seeing things or is that correct? I like the 14 font, but the other numbers seem too rounded to be "Knight-like".

On the crossing sword logo, I would take out the HK behind the swords. It's not legible and I seriously had to stare at it for 20 seconds to see what it was. The logo would look better with just the swords and background shape.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for this NFL expansion.

I like the jerseys although I normally dont like white helmets with darker colored pants and tops, but the design is nice. The number font on the home jersey looks like a different font than the others. Am I just seeing things or is that correct? I like the 14 font, but the other numbers seem too rounded to be "Knight-like".

On the crossing sword logo, I would take out the HK behind the swords. It's not legible and I seriously had to stare at it for 20 seconds to see what it was. The logo would look better with just the swords and background shape.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for this NFL expansion.

Yes, the one and four are different than the rest, and I see your point, but it's kinda hard to make a one or a four round happy.gif

And on the secondary logo, you don't need to worry, because the Knights are now the Kahunas, and I have a completely new secondary in the works. Should be up tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback though. I'll try not to disappoint!

And here are the all new Hawaii Kahunas! I'm just going to post the logo sheet now, and when the logos are perfected I'll post the jerseys.

The new secondary is a Hawaiian priest mask, which goes along with the new Kahuna nickname. I also gave the teal more of a greenish tint to differentiate it from the Jags.

C&C please!

HAWLogos2.png

Archived