Cougar Logo

Davidson

Hey guys, I've recently been working with Joe Bosack, (a bit of a hero of mine and) a legend in the sports design business.

If you havnt seen his work (and you will have by now, just maybe without knowing), check out his site: http://www.joebosack.com/

On top of being a very cool person to work with, hes very kindly let me post some of the work I produced for him to my site.

Here is a concept I worked up. Keen to know what you reckon.

Cougars_3x.png

Love the logo, but not a fan of the logotype. It doesn't have the same dynamics as the character part. I feel like it should have some kind of spiked serif somewhere just to tie more with the cougar itself. Cant say I'm a masive fan of the colours but they do work well with regards contrast.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I like the way you've rendered the cougar, the jutting jaw and such, but I feel this would actually be more badass as a tiger concept, just my $0.02. As for the colors, I can't judge until I'd seen them on a uniform, but they are certainly unique. The wordmark seems underwhelming, sort of an "ESPN" vibe from it, not memorable.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's awesome that you get to work with Joe. He's a hero of mine too. I really like the logo but I think the wordmark needs to be more aggressive in some way. Maybe add serifs like 9erssteve suggested.

Great work, as always.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

The typeface for the wordmark makes me think about Star Trek: TNG. It doesn't necessarily clash with the aesthetic of the logo, but I'm not sure if it sends exactly the right feel for a wildcat based identity.

The mouth bothers me. The use of white and jutting lower jaw makes it seem like the cat is laughing, not growling. Not saying that growling is necessary, but it doesn't have that fierce look to it. Perhaps if you curved the "lip shadow" above the back tooth downward, it'd not look like it was smiling. Also the extension of the white part of the upper mouth to the edge of the logo is weird. Are they whiskers? Highlights of the rest of the cat's body?

Your execution and technique is top-notch as always, but this logo falls flat for me.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Damn you Fraser, I wanted to see some 40 yr old chick with fake boobs.

As for real C&C: The wordmark has been mentioned, but I don't like that the cougar is in a shield. When you think about cougars you think about unbridled speed, wildness, etc.... The shield takes all of that away.

Yeah I'm not a fan of his facial expression. He looks like he's smiling. I love the top part of his head (the orange part) but the white part is a huge miss. I think if you made his mouth closed it'd be way more streamlined and badass, kind of a "yeah look at me" thing

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I think if you added a fierce looking eyeball to it, it wouldn't come off as a smiling cougar, without changing its facial expression. But overall, this is pretty awesome. I'd also suggest a change in font to something that gives off more of a fierce vibe.

Also, something I just noticed... If this is going to be for a football team, the ear is very football shaped, so you could toss put laces on its ear. Just don't make it too obvious that they're laces. I think it would be cool to be like one of those things that you realize it's a football after you've looked at it a few times.

dbacksbannersigs.png

Love it. The only possible issue I'm seeing is the contrast between the red and the purple. I think pushing the red slightly more towards orange and lightening it a tad, it'll go a long way.

Archived