Baseball sleeve patches

stumpygremlin

Because it's ONE memorial, not two.

Look at other sports...in most cases, it's one memorial for the deceased. Whether it's a patch, a black band/ribbon, sticker, etc., it's just one. There may be another non-uniform-related display (painted on a field or ice, mowed into grass, a banner on a wall...).

Although in a way, Killebrew is getting a double memorial...the gesture of wearing the throwbacks for all Twins home games, and the 3 patch on the sleeve.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think the original question was in regards to the team mascot patch, but yes usually one sleeve is always empty unless an anniversary, All Star game or soemthing like that is going on. Then it is used

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Unlike football where the sleeve patches are an intrical part of the design of the uniform, in baseball, they're really looked at more as "add-on" items that can be swapped out each year when there's special events to commemorate, such as an anniversary, death, all-star game, etc. If there's nothing special going on, then they just wear their logo as a placeholder. Or at least IMO that's how it should be - many teams simply apply these special patches in addition to their logo patch, which IMO is just too much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived