Discussion: Redskins Colors and Logos

DeFrank

These are the true burgundy and gold to which the Redskins should return should they ever decide it's time for an overhaul:

redskins-arrowhead.jpg

The grey facemask works but if you were to go to a color, the burgundy works here much better than the mustard.

Also, what about working a re-colored version of the current helmet logo and putting that on the sleeves?

Or vice versa. Keep the spear on the sleeves (it fits nicely in the wide white stripe) and come up with a helmet such as:

helmet2b.gif

?

That's an older version and I'm more in favor now of one with fewer -- or even no -- stripes.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right the burgundy facemask DOES work, and as AntiSocial said, it would look a lot better on the feather concept. In my previous post, there is a link to a concept that does include the spear logo on the sleeves.

I agree with BrandN about the current colors. They pop and are unique. I would stay with the current burgundy and "gold".

In terms of colors and stripes, I don't think the Skins need a dramatic overhaul. I would say, if they only could change one thing about one jersey and call it a day, it would be to match up the gold pants with the red and white sets.

Now, another problem with the current set is the sleeves. They used to look like this, and matched up with the pants and stripes VERY well. Now, they are unnecessary. If they were to go with a spear OR feather helmet, they should (a) not have any stripes on the helmet (B ) put either the spear, current primary, or a new, simplified R or Indian head logo on the sleeves, possibly over the asymmetrical pattern, now moved to where the numbers currently are

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

the current sleeve stripes are probably the best solution for todays jersey cuts. if they are made the size of the pants stripes, then you're pushing towards the Browns or Steelers look where the stripe jut abruptly ends. i dont mind that, but i dont think its a better solution for the Redskins. just swapping 1 subpar striping for another. like you said, the best solution is probably a fairly big change. move the numbers on the shoulders being the best start

anyone ever think about them in red white and blue like the other DC teams?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

GREAT point about the sleeve stripes. I agree with you now, the current stripes are probably here to stay, and for the better. So you think moving the numbers up to the shoulders and having a logo on the sleeves could work? But then it depends on the uniform. If the helmet stays the same, it would be the spear. If the helmet was the spear, maybe the current primary or an updated version of it. On RWB, it couldn't work. The Burgundy and Gold are just that, and the fans would never accept it. It would have to be in a whole new identity, but let's not get into that :P

potd 10/20/12

I agree Lights Out (that's a huge image BTW can you link it instead?), hopefully Nike can correct it. As BrandN said, it probably is a good solution to the current jersey cuts. In my current concept, I have them moving that stripe to the current number location, but as he also pointed out, that causes a Steelers look that isn't smart in today's NFL.

And about Itjets21's idea, that could never work unfortunately. When I added a logo to the feather helmet, you have 3 different feather styles at once, which makes no sense. The feather could possibly work with the arrow on both sides. Again, both my concept and the current spear logo would have to be changed, but that could be a sleek look. Then, the numbers are moved to the shoulders and an updated (or current) Indian head is featured on the sleeves.

potd 10/20/12

I'd like to see the redkins wear the 75th anniversary uniforms, in current colors, with a yellow facemask and the current striping moved up to the sleeves with the arrow in the middle of the two stripes, current pants stripe, and current socks. And for an alt use the head logo on the helmet with a feather in the middle instead of the stripes, with a feather design on both the pants and jersey.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Now what to do about the the primary logo? In many ways, it's outdated, I totally agree. The redundancy, tradition or not, is annoying, and maybe it's time for a change. Many attempts have been made to update or combine the Redskins current primary and an "R" mark. I think this is a great idea, but what I almost always see is cartoonish. It also almost always feels like the crest is missing something, but I'm not sure what. Some have made great (yet flawed) rebrands of an Indian head.

So that was just a complication of some other concepts, how do you guys think these could be built upon? Eventually, when my skills get to a point, I'm going to have to make my own primary mark.

potd 10/20/12

my thoughts on the logo were on the first page. . .

"the illustration style is way out of date. if they went to an R full time it could definitely be a timeless mark. they could keep the logo basics and modernize it but would probably be doing that again in the future. thats not a bad thing really, you just have to stay on top of it. though, with their uniform design being so traditional, an R mark would be the best solution"

the thing isnt a bad concept at all, but its just terribly out of date, and there are some detail design flaws. not enough contrast in the indian's head probably the biggest. if i were in charge of a Redskins rebranding, the only thing major i would change is the logo and wordmark. and id probably want to do an "R" of some sort. at least you'd get the identity further away from the Cleveland Indians (head logo) and Florida ST (spear). it could have feathers hanging off of it, be set in some kind of drum or dreamweaver circle like currently, or just a memorable letter.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Good points. The R and feather could co exist. The reason I'm so stuck on it is that in my perfect little world, they would have a helmet stripe that matches the rest of the uniform, and as it makes no sense to have an asymmetrical stripe, why not have a unique pattern? An updated curly R, different R, etc. could work well as a primary mark, while the spear is still used in the identity (also hopefully updated)

potd 10/20/12

Using the first letter of the nickname is stupid (Bengals). You want to do something with a W, okay, but all the Redskins' R logos are terrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Using the first letter of the nickname is stupid (Bengals). You want to do something with a W, okay, but all the Redskins' R logos are terrible.

why is it stupid? ive never seen the reasoning behind this. you think the Bengals would be better off with an orange "C"? Bears much?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

why is it stupid? ive never seen the reasoning behind this. you think the Bengals would be better off with an orange "C"? Bears much?

I do see where he is coming from. It's not a very "strong" symbol. And in the Bengals case it's damn stupid. Their other "Bengal head" logo is my favorite in the league hands down. I think it could work well for the Redskins, but maybe a WR mark would be better. Just a thought!

potd 10/20/12

you think the Bengals would be better off with an orange "C"? Bears much?

1) I think they would be better off with the tiger head that was serving them just fine.

2) A tiger-striped block C wouldn't be mistaken for a wishbone C, anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

we'll just agree to disagree about the Bengals i dont want the thread to turn into a Bengals discussion.

DeFrank, ive thought about a WR mark for them as well. a concept i came up with has the "W" resembling a common native American mark for "river". i dont feel its strong enough to be a primary but maybe a secondary that could be put on the sleeve?

28bcuj8.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

we'll just agree to disagree about the Bengals i dont want the thread to turn into a Bengals discussion.

DeFrank, ive thought about a WR mark for them as well. a concept i came up with has the "W" resembling a common native American mark for "river". i dont feel its strong enough to be a primary but maybe a secondary that could be put on the sleeve?

28bcuj8.png

I like the concept, but the R doesn't come through well. Only problem, if that's a secondary, then what's the primary? Just an R? ^_^

potd 10/20/12

Archived