USF Football Concept

Somppi

Some of you may have seen me post on here from time to time, but I've never actually posted any of my concepts. Messing around designing uniforms is something I like to do in my spare time but I usually don't save them. I'm not a fan of USF, but when Auburn played Northwestern in the Outback bowl two years ago, I went down to Tampa for the game and the city was pretty awesome. I was experimenting with colors and I fell on this hunter green and the mustard gold (I guess? haha) and I thought it looked great. Well enough talk about it, let me know what you guys think about it and if you guys think I should turn this into a "series" or want me to take some requests, I may do that. The font I used for the logo is called "demonized" and I got it off dafont. I used Colorado's old football helmets as a reference for mine. I drew everything with the pen tool, I even traced over the uniforms to make it thicker.

HOME:

Home.png

AWAY:

Away.png

Like I said, talk about it and tell me what you guys think I can improve on whether its the number size or anything. If you guys would like for me to take requests feel free to leave your teams name on there but I can't guarantee I'm going to do any of them. I may do a series though now that I'm done with high school, thanks guys.

Oh and btw, I LOVE simplistic uniforms such as this, especially helmets like this one.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

The logo needs work. You can hardly tell it's an S.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The logo needs work. You can hardly tell it's an S.

Agreed, but besides that, it's a nice concept.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really like it. I think you've got a great idea with the helmets, that's one of the most original ideas I've seen in a while with a non-logo helmet, and I think it would work really well. I think the numbers might be a tad bit small, and I don't know how visible the gold on green would be. I mean, you have the name and manufacturer's logo in white for a reason, right? I think white numbers outlined with gold would work better. I think you should add an option for green pants with the white, too.

I'll agree with the above, I think including the spaces where the serifs would be on the top and bottom edges would fix the problems with the S in the logo.

Great concept. With all of the complaints about poorly done concepts lately, this one really stands out as a complete idea. Well done.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The helmet design isn't really original. It's the same design Colorado wore on their throwbacks in 2009, just with different colors.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The helmet design isn't really original. It's the same design Colorado wore on their throwbacks in 2009, just with different colors.

ok, at least it's an uncommon helmet. i'll give him credit for that much regardless.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Do you guys like either of these better than the original?

usf-wordmarks.png

Hmm. It's hard to say. Both are big improvements.

Okay here are updates on the uniforms. I added alternate pants and made the numbers bigger.

Home: Made the numbers white and I moved the Under Armour logo

Home-v2.png

Away: Moved the Under Armour logo and I noticed that the cuffs and collar did not have color on the back so I fixed that.

Away-v2.png

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Great look overall!

So far as the wordmark/logo goes, try using the original logo, but cut out corners for the S on the upper left and lower right. I think that would break it out a little more while leaving the single body look intact.

What I mean is, take the logo with the gold outline around each letter and move the letters a little farther apart and then merge them together so you can still see the rounded corners of the S. With the serif on the U it may require making the top of the U sans serif in order to break out the S and you'd have to do the same with the bottom of the F. I didn't have any trouble identifying the S in the original, but I get where the other guys are coming from.

I like the colors, but it may need to be a little brighter for use as a for-real jersey, since teams generally want something that will stand out on TV and I think these colors are a little too muted for use on a green football field in a stadium filled with bright colors.

Finally the number on the back of the helmet is a little redundant with the number on the back of the jersey, if you want it there for identifying the player. If it's meant as one of those numbers we see on helmets to help players know which helmet is their own, you should probably shrink it way down.

Overall, though, I'm a fan.

Grunge-Logos.png

Great look overall!

So far as the wordmark/logo goes, try using the original logo, but cut out corners for the S on the upper left and lower right. I think that would break it out a little more while leaving the single body look intact.

What I mean is, take the logo with the gold outline around each letter and move the letters a little farther apart and then merge them together so you can still see the rounded corners of the S. With the serif on the U it may require making the top of the U sans serif in order to break out the S and you'd have to do the same with the bottom of the F. I didn't have any trouble identifying the S in the original, but I get where the other guys are coming from.

I like the colors, but it may need to be a little brighter for use as a for-real jersey, since teams generally want something that will stand out on TV and I think these colors are a little too muted for use on a green football field in a stadium filled with bright colors.

Finally the number on the back of the helmet is a little redundant with the number on the back of the jersey, if you want it there for identifying the player. If it's meant as one of those numbers we see on helmets to help players know which helmet is their own, you should probably shrink it way down.

Overall, though, I'm a fan.

I think I understand what you're saying with the logo, I'll take a shot at it a little bit later. But when the helmet numbers, that was just pure personal preference. I really like it when teams use numbers on the back of helmets with 1 of fewer stripes and I made them that big because I like how Iowa pulls it off- here's a picture https://a248.e.akamai.net/media.bigtennetwork.com//photo/2010/09/04/E_Illinois_Iowa_Football.sff11_20100904145114_640_480.JPG

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

I really like it when teams use numbers on the back of helmets with 1 of fewer stripes and I made them that big because I like how Iowa pulls it off- here's a picture...

Fair enough!

Here's a mockup of what I mean for the logo. As you can tell, I'm pretty much the most talented guy on these boards.

USF.png

(With the actual font you used, obviously)

Grunge-Logos.png

As far as the colors go, meh, give or take.

I'm not a fan of the helmet. I understand you were trying to accomplish the bull's horns look, but I don't personally care for it. I do however like that you didn't put a stripe down the middle of the helmet.

The USF reminds me of UCF immediately, and that's a no-no. I'd work on evolving that logo in the opposite direction of what you have now, not because it's not an acceptable logo, but because it needs to not resemble UCF in any which way.

Hope I helped!

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

Yeah, I also noticed the UCF thing too. I would try taking that logo in a different direction for that reason alone but also because it seems incidental to kern letters like that. They aren't interacting in any specific manner and from any more than two feet away the letters would read as an incoherent green blob thing.

Why not spread those out in a normal manner, make them a bit smaller on the jersey and try to incorporate a different element of design in there. I totally understand where you're coming from with "unique helmet, relatively simple jersey" design to allow that top element to shine and not create visual snow all over the uniform. However, I don't know if you're not skimping on some cool design elements elsewhere. Maybe just try some different ideas for the jersey / pants, see if any work well with the helmet.

Last thing, not totally sold on the font. I don't usually love italicized fonts on football jerseys but in this case I think its just about the contrasting design elements. The helmet has this really unique, sharp, pointed design on it, the horns. The helmet is gold, but the green horns help visually lead you to this solid green jersey. That all can work well. Then out of no where, a giant italicized white block style "8."

Now that I think about it, the jersey and pants probably could stay clean design wise, if only the font wasn't a generic block font that doesn't really much the sleek and pointed horns. I'm not saying you need to put spikes on Agency like the Chargers did (really guys? Agency with spikes?) but try some more interesting and potentially iconic font choices. That would kill two design problems with one stone.

(P.S., the wordmark could also be adjusted to be similar to the new awesome font choice. Not a huge fan of that current font for a sports team.)

Your wordmark is nothing more than USF typed changed from one custom font (USF is a customized form of Serpentine) to another school's custom font (Demonized, the freeware form of DePaul's font).

At least the original USF was modified with bull horns on the stems of the U. Yours is just type, and it's overlapped to make it harder to read.

The uniforms are ok...nothing special either way, but now their closer to UCF's colors. I would bring back the green and emphasize that over the black.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived