Sports Trading Cards

AlaskaAJ

Well, I haven't seen a thread for sports cards thread yet, so I figured we could discuss them (Which brands do you like/dislike?) and maybe even orchestrate a few trades if there's some other collectors here.

I've thoroughly enjoyed colecting 2011 Topps Baseball. As of this moment, i'm missing 48 cards and closing in on a full set. They really did a good job with the 60th anniversary, and the Diamond Topps redemption. The inserts are wonderfully done down to the classic reprints, the vintage patch cards, and the memorobilia cards. So far I have pulled two of the short print classic players (Frank Thomas and Johnny Bench) and two jersey cards, one a Diamond Duos Reggie Jackson/Adam Jones double jersey card #'d out of 50, and the other a Dustin Pedroia card. The card design with the arked bar in team colors along with tasteful use of foil, and the drop shadow under the foil really helps in readability. The stories on the back are definetly amusing, and everything on the back of the card, especially the number, are all good size for reading. Overall, it's one of my favorite sets i've collected, and i'm definetly looking forward to filling the holes in my binder.

ccslcsig-4.png

I'm interested if sports cards trading/collecting is anything more than a novelty hobby for adults/money-making venture for collectors. I don't ever hear if kids still buy cards and start collections. I did some when I was a kid and that was 15-odd years ago.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm interested if sports cards trading/collecting is anything more than a novelty hobby for adults/money-making venture for collectors. I don't ever hear if kids still buy cards and start collections. I did some when I was a kid and that was 15-odd years ago.

I (15 years old) buy a lot of cards, more than I should, and I do it all for the collecting. It doesn't seem like too many others my age collect, but I still go to every trade night at the local card shop.

ccslcsig-4.png

I (15 years old) buy a lot of cards, more than I should, and I do it all for the collecting. It doesn't seem like too many others my age collect, but I still go to every trade night at the local card shop.

That's one thing that gives me a lot of hope, I still see a good handful of hobby shops that remain alive and well and have an active customer base keeping cards trafficking. My logic would tell me there's no money to be made but these places stay open for a reason.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's one thing that gives me a lot of hope, I still see a good handful of hobby shops that remain alive and well and have an active customer base keeping cards trafficking. My logic would tell me there's no money to be made but these places stay open for a reason.

It seems most are staying afloat because of the same group of customers. The owner of my local card shop calls everyone by name, and I can tell he's there because he loves what he does. I've been going there since I was at least 10 and he's given me a fair share of bargains. Everytime I walk in he asks how i'm doing, and the best part is, I know he genuinely cares. Not too many stores like that nowadays.

ccslcsig-4.png

Still do collect hockey cards.. got a few sets done.. and some other sets are almost completed but missing some cards.. so close to getting them done and others I still have to check to see how many cards are missing for some specific sets.. oh well... would love to do some hockey card trading with someone in here or other place...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I took about a 2-3 year break in collecting cards for personal reasons. Just started back up with the 2011 Topps set, don't have as many as you have listed, but I do have 2 of the Adam Wainwright cards where he's listed as "OUTFIELDER" on the front of his card with the picture of him pitching. So far in this set, I have the 1933 N.Y. Giants patch card, the Frank Thomas, Pee Wee Reese. Tony Gwynn, Tony Perez, and Bob Feller cards, and it seems like every year, I get multiples in excess on one particular player, this year, that player is Neil Walker.

I don't try to collect the entire set of any cards. My primary collection (the ones I organize, keep in notebooks, keep separate and catalog) are Giants, Mariners, former Alaska League players (was born and lived there for 30 years), and catchers. I organize the rest in boxes by team, but don't pay as much attention to them. I also collect other sports, dating back to the early 80's, and have a few obscure collections, such as the entire WLAF inaugural set, World Cup 1994 cards, and several minor league sets. I also designed the posters, cards, and other promotional materials for the Anchorage Aces (2011 Kelly Cup Champs, listened to the game last night online) for a few years in the late 90's and have a few uncut press sheets. On a non-sports note, I also have the entire card set from the movie Alien.

I never got into the investing side of card collecting, for me, it was always just a fun hobby. When my brother was getting baseball cards at the same time I was, we had a deal where I'd get all his Giants and Mariners, he'd get all my Yankees and Mets. No arguing over cost or equity, just a straight up hand them over deal. We'd do the same with football cards, I'd get his Chargers, he'd get my 49ers. The only value my cards have to me is on a personal level.

So which card shop in Anchorage do you go to? Does Bosco's still have their large shop on Spenard, or are they just down to the one store at Dimond Center? I go back to Anchorage every year, but haven't really checked out some of the old haunts. As a kid, I'd go to Space Station, spend a few bucks on video games, then go across the street to Bosco's and pick up some cards.

I was HUGE into hockey cards. I stopped collecting when it became evident that the card companies were merely skipping marketing towards the collectors and gearing more towards the money-making adults. Chief component of that was the introduction of the game-worn cards. Before that, not only was it cheap enough for someone to buy a box or two and complete an entire set, but there was only a few sets per year that you needed to complete. Usually, Upper Deck, Topps and Pinnacle. Some years you'd have Score and ProSet, but for the most part, if you wanted to collect every card from every company in a particular year, you could do it for a relatively cheap price. Nowadays, you have, what seems to be, more than 50 sub-sets of each company. Some boxes are expensive as hell, too. Seems like most boxes are over $80 and you got like 10 packs. They are just high because of the chance to get, again, a game-worn card of a "superstar." Then you feel like a putz when you open the box and find one game-worn jersey card of Jamie Lundmark. I tried just collecting the basic sets, but those got expensive, too. Last full set I remember collecting was, I think, the 2002-03 Upper Deck Vintage Hockey set. I think if I ever get back into the swing of things, I'll go on eBay, spend $10 on a box of 1991-92 Upper Deck hockey cards and try to finish up that set once and for all.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

It's good to see that there are other collectors here. I am what people would call a 'serious' collector because I not only have a ton of cards (every complete set from 1980 until now + several 70's near complete sets) but I pre-order cards and do a lot of trading with fellow collectors in my area. I never sell my cards. I'm a collector. I don't buy cards just to flip them on ebay. When I see a patch card from the 2011 set or an autograph of a player that isn't in a Braves uniform, my first thought is who do I know that is a fan of that team and if they already have it. In return, everyone I trade with flips their Braves cards to me. We try to match book value for book value as much as possible when trading. But if someone really wants something, they are willing to trade in the others favor to get it. It all evens out in the end though.

Glad to see a few of you are also collecting the 2011 Topps. My prize from that set is a Jason Heyward Autograph. I also got Brian McCann's and Tommy Hanson's autograph from that set. I have done some heavy trading of my duplicates in this set. It's been real fun. Series 2 of that set is coming real soon!

The card shop where I live makes their money off High School Varsity Jackets. There are something like 11 High Schools in the area and they all get their jackets from him. His main customers for cards are adults. But his main customers are just like me. They are collectors and are not interested in re-selling for a profit. To me, that's not what collecting is about. My local card shop owner knows everyone by first name too and often I will spend several hours in there just talking baseball and not buy anything. He calls me to ask me if I want certain things and he is a great individual.

I'm also very happy to see that there are some 15 year olds still collecting. It seems like a lot of my generation (I'm 29) are either still collecting from when they were kids or are getting back into it. I don't see a lot of kids doing it today and that's too bad. But at least there are some.

I took about a 2-3 year break in collecting cards for personal reasons. Just started back up with the 2011 Topps set, don't have as many as you have listed, but I do have 2 of the Adam Wainwright cards where he's listed as "OUTFIELDER" on the front of his card with the picture of him pitching. So far in this set, I have the 1933 N.Y. Giants patch card, the Frank Thomas, Pee Wee Reese. Tony Gwynn, Tony Perez, and Bob Feller cards, and it seems like every year, I get multiples in excess on one particular player, this year, that player is Neil Walker.

I don't try to collect the entire set of any cards. My primary collection (the ones I organize, keep in notebooks, keep separate and catalog) are Giants, Mariners, former Alaska League players (was born and lived there for 30 years), and catchers. I organize the rest in boxes by team, but don't pay as much attention to them. I also collect other sports, dating back to the early 80's, and have a few obscure collections, such as the entire WLAF inaugural set, World Cup 1994 cards, and several minor league sets. I also designed the posters, cards, and other promotional materials for the Anchorage Aces (2011 Kelly Cup Champs, listened to the game last night online) for a few years in the late 90's and have a few uncut press sheets. On a non-sports note, I also have the entire card set from the movie Alien.

I never got into the investing side of card collecting, for me, it was always just a fun hobby. When my brother was getting baseball cards at the same time I was, we had a deal where I'd get all his Giants and Mariners, he'd get all my Yankees and Mets. No arguing over cost or equity, just a straight up hand them over deal. We'd do the same with football cards, I'd get his Chargers, he'd get my 49ers. The only value my cards have to me is on a personal level.

So which card shop in Anchorage do you go to? Does Bosco's still have their large shop on Spenard, or are they just down to the one store at Dimond Center? I go back to Anchorage every year, but haven't really checked out some of the old haunts. As a kid, I'd go to Space Station, spend a few bucks on video games, then go across the street to Bosco's and pick up some cards.

There's still both Bosco's. I've never really liked it there, not because of the selection, but because of the people. It seems like they just want your money and then for you to leave. I actually go to a little known shop in South Anchorage called Don's Sportscards, and it small as it is, he has everything card related you could ever think of, and Don is one of the nicest guys you can meet.

My 2011 card that I get way too many of would be Pedro Feliz and Andrew Cashner. I have about 5 of each. On a side note, what's it gonna take for me to pry one of those Chris Carpenter Outfielder cards and an Aces card sheet away? :)

Off topic- Go Aces! My Dad and I are going to see them come in to the Airport tonight, and since he works there, we can get right to their gate. :hockeysmiley:

ccslcsig-4.png

Still do collect hockey cards.. got a few sets done.. and some other sets are almost completed but missing some cards.. so close to getting them done and others I still have to check to see how many cards are missing for some specific sets.. oh well... would love to do some hockey card trading with someone in here or other place...

Well, I got about 3 binders of '90s and 2000s cards. Let's get this ring started!

ccslcsig-4.png

I was HUGE into hockey cards. I stopped collecting when it became evident that the card companies were merely skipping marketing towards the collectors and gearing more towards the money-making adults. Chief component of that was the introduction of the game-worn cards. Before that, not only was it cheap enough for someone to buy a box or two and complete an entire set, but there was only a few sets per year that you needed to complete. Usually, Upper Deck, Topps and Pinnacle. Some years you'd have Score and ProSet, but for the most part, if you wanted to collect every card from every company in a particular year, you could do it for a relatively cheap price. Nowadays, you have, what seems to be, more than 50 sub-sets of each company. Some boxes are expensive as hell, too. Seems like most boxes are over $80 and you got like 10 packs. They are just high because of the chance to get, again, a game-worn card of a "superstar." Then you feel like a putz when you open the box and find one game-worn jersey card of Jamie Lundmark. I tried just collecting the basic sets, but those got expensive, too. Last full set I remember collecting was, I think, the 2002-03 Upper Deck Vintage Hockey set. I think if I ever get back into the swing of things, I'll go on eBay, spend $10 on a box of 1991-92 Upper Deck hockey cards and try to finish up that set once and for all.

Hmm, I was going to post a picture of my Jamie Lundmark jersey card, but I can't find it right now. :/ I agree sets are just in it for the money, but that's why I like Topps. With all the giveaways, it seems like they're actually in it for the collectors. Oh, and I got a lot of 1991-92 Upper Decks somewhere if you wanna trade...

ccslcsig-4.png

Yeah I was huge on hockey cards in the Mid-90's. I remember they had packs with 3 cards each and one was always autographed. I think I had 2: Bruce Driver and Marek Malik. Oy.

I also remember Upper Deck used to have that thing where if the player did X on a specific day you could mail the card in for a prize or something. I still have one dresser drawer filled with solely hockey cards. I think I have 2 random complete sets, couldn't tell you off the to of my head what they are. Maybe now I'll buy a pack in a drug store tomorrow morning or something just because...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I was HUGE into hockey cards. I stopped collecting when it became evident that the card companies were merely skipping marketing towards the collectors and gearing more towards the money-making adults. Chief component of that was the introduction of the game-worn cards. Before that, not only was it cheap enough for someone to buy a box or two and complete an entire set, but there was only a few sets per year that you needed to complete. Usually, Upper Deck, Topps and Pinnacle. Some years you'd have Score and ProSet, but for the most part, if you wanted to collect every card from every company in a particular year, you could do it for a relatively cheap price.

There are plenty of great low-cost, big-set-size options in hockey now. Panini getting a license in addition to Upper Deck was a godsend. They came out with a Pinnacle, Score, and Donruss set this year with low prices and big base sets. $5 would get you a 40-card (or so) jumbo pack of any of those at Target/Wal-mart/etc.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'm not a huge collector, but I have some partial sets and ONE completed set. The one complete set that I have is 1991-92 OPC, and it has quite the story behind it.

About 4 years ago, someone gave my pastor about 25 boxes of that set, but he could care less about hockey (he's American and a huge NFL fan) He divided them up between us teen guys in the church and I got about 8 boxes. None of the boxes had ever been opened, and each pack inside the boxes even still had the bubble gum inside. The gum had since gone nasty and had ruined the top card in each pack. I figure by the time I was done, in the span of a week, I threw out nearly 100 cards, kept 528, and had nearly 1,000 duplicates (I seriously had a stack nearly three feet high) I then sold my box of duplicates for $10 at a garage sale.

$10 profit, a complete set, and a week of fun opening hockey cards.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well, I got about 3 binders of '90s and 2000s cards. Let's get this ring started!

would love to do this with ya.. we ought to chat about sending cards and etc.. let me know, man...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

would love to do this with ya.. we ought to chat about sending cards and etc.. let me know, man...

Any specific sets you're looking for?

ccslcsig-4.png

If anyone wants to trade 2011 Topps Baseball, I missing cards #8, 13, 23, 27, 30, 55, 65, 71, 76, 77, 79, 99, 105, 107, 113, 120, 128, 143, 146, 148, 154, 158, 169, 173, 175, 176, 180, 188, 191, 192, 217, 224, 225, 226, 229, 230, 267, 268, 276, 282, 288, 292, 300, 319, 320, and 324. I have enough cards to make it worth your while :wink2:

ccslcsig-4.png

um i got about 15 binders of GOOD cards from all 4 sports. i got alot of gooddies too, but there is no hobby shop here anymore, the only places i can get then is by going to target or walmart. im looking for good deals on boxes of cards,any places that are good online ??

Any specific sets you're looking for?

Let me get back to you on this.. am waiting for word from someone about some missing cards list to fill first.. then we can talk about it.. and I will give ya some lists later ok?

Archived