Texas Rangers 1972 throwbacks

DrAwesomeberry

Interesting post by Chuck Morgan, the VP of In-Game Entertainment/PA announcer, on Lone Star Ball.

I saw the Tom Grieve Bobblehead post over the weekend. I have long list of ideas to celebrate 40 seasons of Texas Rangers Baseball in 2012.

The Tom Grieve Bobblehead was already on the list. After watching all of these clubs this past weekend in their throwback uniforms, I tried to get a throwback day for this year putting us in 1961 Senators uniforms and the Angels in their 1961 uniforms. It made more sense to do something like that next year, our 1972 uniform, which we have done before and another club in their 1972 look. If you have any suggestions, you know I like your ideas, the Cruz Bobblehead is a perfect example.

Thanks

Chuck

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping that they would break out the old '72 jerseys against the Indians during the "Alumni Weekend," but I guess that's not going to be. Hopefully the celebration for forty years in Arlington will be bigger than the fiftieth season is of the entire franchise.

Tom Grieve Bobblehead night would be the greatest promotion ever.

Our current look is the best we've had IMO.

I really disagree. The black drop shadow, the TEXAS TEXAS OF TEXAS feel, the really clumsy custom font, which isn't awful for the numbers but on the names... yikes, it's not FAR from being really good but I think the red 90s set was better at the bare minimum.

Our current look is the best we've had IMO.

I really disagree. The black drop shadow, the TEXAS TEXAS OF TEXAS feel, the really clumsy custom font, which isn't awful for the numbers but on the names... yikes, it's not FAR from being really good but I think the red 90s set was better at the bare minimum.

I just hate that over-serifed "T" on the old school unis, not to mention the baby blue scheme. I think black has been minimized to the point where it's barely noticeable (like the stupid cap with the black bill). I really like the name and number font, but that's me. Go Rangers!

newsig.jpg

Interesting post by Chuck Morgan, the VP of In-Game Entertainment/PA announcer, on Lone Star Ball.

I saw the Tom Grieve Bobblehead post over the weekend. I have long list of ideas to celebrate 40 seasons of Texas Rangers Baseball in 2012.

The Tom Grieve Bobblehead was already on the list. After watching all of these clubs this past weekend in their throwback uniforms, I tried to get a throwback day for this year putting us in 1961 Senators uniforms and the Angels in their 1961 uniforms. It made more sense to do something like that next year, our 1972 uniform, which we have done before and another club in their 1972 look. If you have any suggestions, you know I like your ideas, the Cruz Bobblehead is a perfect example.

Thanks

Chuck

If anyone is going to pop out some SENATORS throwbacks one would hope it to be the TWINS.

What would TEXAS have to choose from, limited from a 10-year expansion team they got after the original SENATORS left town to Minnesota.

Thanks

Chuck

If anyone is going to pop out some SENATORS throwbacks one would hope it to be the TWINS.

What would TEXAS have to choose from, limited from a 10-year expansion team they got after the original SENATORS left town to Minnesota.

They actually have 3 distinct unis to choose from the Washington era of the franchise. It would be surreal wearing the 1969 throwbacks

al_1969_washington.gif

against the Nationals dressed as the Expos.

They'll be celebrating 40 Years of Texas Rangers Baseball next year, not 40 Years of Texas Rangers and a few Years of Washington Baseball. There is zero reason for them to don Senators gear next year.

And just for the record, they have worn the Senators throwbacks, in 2004 & 2008.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Nothing against Washington, but I really hate the old Senators look because of the fight it took to get the Rangers here. I don't think it would be appropriate anyways with the recent death of Tom Vandergriff to honor the Rangers as the Senators anyways. I really want them to wear their old Ryan era jerseys for a game, and perhaps go back to the 90's era jerseys.

I have a feeling that the Rangers are close to getting new looks anyways. Nothing stupid like "western colors," but there has been enough uproar sent to Chuck Morgan and others about not having "Rangers" on the front of the jerseys. I would expect red to take over blue yet again as a primary color in the next few years.

Man, the Rangers have tried a lot of different stuff, haven't they? Personally, I prefer this; that Old-West, all-caps script just doesn't do it for me.

al_1984_texas.gif

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I always liked that neck trim. It looked kind of softballish, but it tied into the cuff trim well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Rangers ought to wear these as throwbacks:

1335a_lg.jpeg

4088E_med.jpeg

Man those are bad.

Man, the Rangers have tried a lot of different stuff, haven't they? Personally, I prefer this; that Old-West, all-caps script just doesn't do it for me.

al_1984_texas.gif

Those were the wannabe Dodgers series. Yuk!

The Johnny Oates "Red Shoed Rangers" were the most successful in the franchise's history for a four year period. Keep the current set and change the back the blue to red.

1335a_lg.jpeg

4088E_med.jpeg

Man those are bad.

al_1984_texas.gif

The Johnny Oates "Red Shoed Rangers" were the most successful in the franchise's history for a four year period. Keep the current set and change the back the blue to red.

Agreed 1000%

newsig.jpg

1335a_lg.jpeg

4088E_med.jpeg

Man those are bad.

al_1984_texas.gif

Agreed 1000%

You got it. At least wear a uniform when they were closer to winning a division.

I still can't believe people have a soft spot for THIS:

txr.jpg

To each his own I guess.

It's the same sort of people who have a soft spot for the Tequila Sunrise Astros or mod-style Padres. Nostalgia makes people fondly remember things that shouldn't be so fondly remembered.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Rangers really greased up the wall before they threw crap at it, huh.

I don't find any of these pleasantly boilerplate uniforms themselves particularly good or bad (the only Rangers uniforms I think look really bad are the ones that everyone likes because guys on steroids lost to the Yankees in them every year), but that T logo. Yuck. That's like the most primitively "stylized" letter I've ever seen. You can say that design wasn't as complicated in the early 1970s, but I don't think they were limited to safety scissors, either. Urrthang's bigger'n Texas, including slab serifs, evidently.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived