Random soccer concepts (II)

chestnutz

So a while back in these parts I had a series with about a dozen or so soccer concepts. Like ckraider, I was inspired to do more upon making the media guide for the WFL. I really wanted to do some concepts, so that's what I'll just post in here - random soccer concepts I'm inspired to do (part 2). I want to try to do mostly MLS teams, but I may get distracted and venture into Europe :P

First up is DC United, who I've always thought could use a facelift. I was inspired by their old crest, which used more jagged lines, as well as a crest I made for a Moscow team in the WFL. I tried to get the three stripes in there, to fill space but it might be too cluttered. I used the gold star and ball from the current crest.

On the kits, I stayed with adidas (but I won't for other MLS teams) because the 3 stripes across the stripes define DC, and Nike would be weird with three stripes on it. But I took that opportunity to get rid of the templatey stripes on the shoulders.

Not much else to say really!

DC-united.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United kit looks great...love that you brought back chest stripes for their kits. Great work!

Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Great job! That crest is really sharp, and a big improvement over their current one. It seems a lot cleaner and crisper. The kits are really nice as well. They're well put together, and I like the design on the front.

Two minor details though. First, it seems to me that the VW logo is a little off center to our right. Second, I like that you used fewer adidas stripes, but I don't think adidas would go for that. To be realistic, I think you'd need something on the shoulders.

Awesome work though, and I hope to see more!

Very well done. Are the 4 stars at the top officially part of the crest? I know that teams add stars like that to signify the number of league championships won...but would those stars also be used with the crest on the pants leg typically?

gYH2mW9.png

San Jose Hotspur

Total rebrand for this second concept. Never liked the Earthquakes moniker. So I added the Hotspur name, as Tottenham and San Jose have a great relationship together. I looked around the MLS and saw a real lack of teal, and it fits perfectly with San Jose (the teal city, Sharks). So I dropped royal blue and added two teals. You'll also notice I made the checkerboard pattern San Jose's. No one in the league uses that pattern, and it's one of my personal favorites, so I really made this concept embrace it. You'll also notice a little hidden soccer ball in there, which kind of distorts the pattern in a fun way in the crest.

IBM is pretty big in San Jose so that's the sponsor. And like I said I'd do, no adidas for this one. Umbro for the simple checkerboard pattern.

San-Jose.png

spacer.png

Very well done. Are the 4 stars at the top officially part of the crest? I know that teams add stars like that to signify the number of league championships won...but would those stars also be used with the crest on the pants leg typically?

No, they're not part of the crest.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

San Jose Hotspur

Total rebrand for this second concept. Never liked the Earthquakes moniker. So I added the Hotspur name, as Tottenham and San Jose have a great relationship together. I looked around the MLS and saw a real lack of teal, and it fits perfectly with San Jose (the teal city, Sharks). So I dropped royal blue and added two teals. You'll also notice I made the checkerboard pattern San Jose's. No one in the league uses that pattern, and it's one of my personal favorites, so I really made this concept embrace it. You'll also notice a little hidden soccer ball in there, which kind of distorts the pattern in a fun way in the crest.

IBM is pretty big in San Jose so that's the sponsor. And like I said I'd do, no adidas for this one. Umbro for the simple checkerboard pattern.

San-Jose.png

Can't say I'm crazy about getting rid of the Earthquakes name. I'm not entirely against Euro style names, but I think that the cities that have a legit soccer heritage should embrace it. I do like the switch to black and teal though... well done!

im drooling over that sj away jersey. i love it. love the teal and black and that you got rid of the quakes name, hotspur though? i suppose anything sounds better than Sporting Kansas City.

If you are going to use the Hotspur name, you should attempt to incorporate the rooster in the crest. Yours is clean and all but, sorta boring.

Love the DC jerseys. Again think the crest is a little busy. Might look cool without the shield, just leave the eagle with text and stars above it.

spacer.png

The DC badge looks a bit choppy, not as in the quality of it but as far as the design, after looking at it 5-10 times, but everything about the kits are absolute class.

Love the San Jose kits but not in love with the name change.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Here's #3, the Chicago Fire.

Chicago used to dominate the league, but has fallen off as of late. I love their badge, so I didn't do a full redesign. I did change the colors around though. Never liked that gray. And I thought a huge opportunity was missed by not using light blue and red, one of my favorite color combos. While I do like the C in the middle of the crest, I thought the 4 stars would fit better.

According to wikipedia:

"The club and their fans make frequent use of the symbols of Chicago, as a show of civic pride. Most prominent are the six-pointed Chicago stars, but the light blue color associated with the city, the municipal device, and the city skyline appear regularly on materials produced by the club and its fans. The municipal flag of Chicago is also favored by fans of the club and often seen at the stadium, in a manner akin to the use of the flag of Catalonia for FC Barcelona fans, but without a nationalist subtext."

So the fans love the light blue and municipal flag so much they use it over the club logo and colors. So why not just change to fit what the fans want? It's a great flag, so I incorporated it into the crest, added the year of founding, and changed the colors around.

On the kits, I feel Nike is perfect for them. I used the new PSG away kit as inspiration for the home, and used the jagged stripes Nike has been using so much. Very simple all red. The away is more subject to change, and I did some different things. I think this would be a very popular kit with the fans, using the flag on the front (with the jagged stripes of course), and I moved the sponsor (new sponsor btw, Chase, fit well) to the back, more south american style.

And that's really it!

Chicago.png

spacer.png

Love the use of the flag stars. Unfortunately the jagged stripes look absolutely awful, I thought something was wrong with the picture. Sponsor on the back is weird, as well.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Nitpicky: Chicago's first season was 1998. (Section 8 uses 1997 for a lot of founding date stuff, though.)

I like the idea, but the removal of the navy detailing leaves this feeling a bit flat. I'm also not feeling the jagged lines.

Also... and I'm sorry to be blunt, but... San Jose Hotspur? That made me feel ill.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I like the Chicago kits...except for the jagged stripe. I think the reason it seems awkward/off is that Nike uses it vertically versus horizontally as you've done. It could work...good work on the kits as a whole.

13104.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived