The USFL with Davidson's revo template

DAHOF

One of the main reasons I keep coming back to this board is the extraordinary talent on display here.

In my opinion, Davidson is on the top of the list. His football helmet templates are so far beyond anything I have ever seen, anywhere.

As a high schooler, I loved the United States Football League. It was new, fun, and different from the boring (at the time) NFL.

A couple of months ago I sat down with one of Davidson's templates and attempted the USFL.

First off, my favorite USFL team, the MICHIGAN PANTHERS:

USFL_Michigan%20Panthers_revo_v2.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be very nice to have a USFL around again. What with the Strike and the very unwatchable product the NFL provides us now that has to be covered up with glitz and gloss. bleh!

Some great looking helmets there too. Looking forward to seeing rest of the teams.

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

NICE looking, I'm still looking for USFL vectors or PDF of there logos...

I have never been able to find an entire set of clean USFL logos.

All the helmet logos here were individually grabbed and modified to work with this project.

I have a complete (or near complete) set of USFL logos in vector. DAHOF, if you need them for your project, let me know via PM.

Where do you guys find vectors of old logos like these?!

As for the helmets, VERY nice work. The Stars' logo seems to be tilted a little too much, no?

gYH2mW9.png

I have a complete (or near complete) set of USFL logos in vector. DAHOF, if you need them for your project, let me know via PM.

Where do you guys find vectors of old logos like these?!

As for the helmets, VERY nice work. The Stars' logo seems to be tilted a little too much, no?

I did most of the ones Mac has. The Stars logo was always at an odd angle on the helmet.

I did most of the ones Mac has.

Is this something you'd be willing to share? If not, no problem.

The Stars logo was always at an odd angle on the helmet.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I thought that could have been the case but wasn't quite sure. I wish I were older when the USFL was around. I love reading up on the league. And I really think that, if done properly, a spring football league could work in the states.

gYH2mW9.png

The San Antonio Gunslingers win my award for the worst USFL logo:

USFL_San%20Antonio%20Gunslingers_revo_v2.png

And why was it the worst?

1. They (directly) used a caricature line drawing by a local political cartoonist, not someone with design skills.

2. They did not "fill in" the circle with white.

The re-do makes the green helmet have a metallic look. Interesting.

It is what it is.

The San Antonio Gunslingers win my award for the worst USFL logo:

USFL_San%20Antonio%20Gunslingers_revo_v2.png

Loved their name, despised the logo. The perfect helmet would have been the one featured on the cover of Pete Gent's book The Franchise. The crossed six-shooters represented the fictional Texas Pistols. The rest of the uni looks like a Cowboys jersey with the Vikings' old pants.

6502407-L.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I hate to always be this guy, but the helmet logos are all crooked. When the helmet is on a player's head, the logo should be straight up and down. A good way to line this up: the horizontal bars on the facemask are just that: horizontal. For example, the top of the "Blitz" logo should be parallel with the horizontal bars on the facemask.

Archived