2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Possible BCS matchups

Championship - LSU (13-0) vs. Alabama (11-1)

Rose Bowl - Oregon (11-2) vs. Michigan State (11-2)

Sugar Bowl - Arkansas (10-2) vs. Houston (13-0)

Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech (12-1) vs. Rutgers (9-3)

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma State (11-1) vs. Stanford (11-1)

Stanford cannot move tickets. Wisconsin can.

Even a 10-3 Wisconsin and the president of the Fiesta Bowl is a a Stanford grad

Actually you're more likely to get a two loss Michigan team up there instead of the Big Ten Championship game loser. And yeah, Arkansas cannot play in the BCS if both Alabama and LSU are already in it. 2 team per conference max.

Incorrect. 3 teams from the same conference CAN get BCS bowl bids, re-read the rules. And with this past weekened, the chances of it happening are getting better.

By the way, SEC will be 1-2-3 in the BCS when it is released tonight and have 5 teams in the Top 15. Arkansas plays LSU this weekend. I'll let you figure out how it can happen.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible BCS matchups

Actually you're more likely to get a two loss Michigan team up there instead of the Big Ten Championship game loser. And yeah, Arkansas cannot play in the BCS if both Alabama and LSU are already in it. 2 team per conference max.

Incorrect. 3 teams from the same conference CAN get BCS bowl bids, re-read the rules. And with this past weekened, the chances of it happening are getting better.

*checks again*

OK, but a Georgia victory in the SEC championship game, which is the only way you can bring this about, is going to drop the SEC championship game loser out of the top 2, and perhaps the team they beat as well thanks to human voting.

Granted, I also took another look around since last night, and I'd say pit Virginia Tech against the SEC champion (assuming West team beats Georgia) if they run the rest of the table this season. They will only have one loss, and will have avenged that in the ACC Championship Game. Put 'em in over some SEC Divisional runnerup that, with the exception of LSU, got fat on blowing out weaker teams.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Given that hypothetical scenario, I simply fail to see how it may be possible for a team who failed to win their conference (possibly Bama) to play for a national title.

Same way a team that failed to beat all of the opponents in their division represents said division in conference championship...over a team that did beat all division opponents. :rolleyes:

Possible BCS matchups

*checks again*

OK, but a Georgia victory in the SEC championship game, which is the only way you can bring this about, is going to drop the SEC championship game loser out of the top 2, and perhaps the team they beat as well thanks to human voting.

Not exactly. If Arkansas beats LSU in a really close game this week, LSU may fall to #3 due to their previous undefeated record, SOS, and losing to the #3 team. Then Georgia could beat Arkansas in the SECCG putting Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and guess who a rematch is setup for in the National Championship? #1 vs #2 which would be Alabama vs LSU.

Notice Alabama doesn't have to do much in all of this except sit back and benefit.

Possible BCS matchups

*checks again*

Not exactly. If Arkansas beats LSU in a really close game this week, LSU may fall to #3 due to their previous undefeated record, SOS, and losing to the #3 team. Then Georgia could beat Arkansas in the SECCG putting Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and guess who a rematch is setup for in the National Championship? #1 vs #2 which would be Alabama vs LSU.

Notice Alabama doesn't have to do much in all of this except sit back and benefit.

Except for Arkansas to play in the SEC Championship game, Alabama needs to lose to Auburn.

I think you're also greatly discounting the human element greatly. If there is a 1 loss AQ conference champion sitting around (such as Virginia Tech or Oklahoma State, the human voters are going to put them at number 2. And honestly, they should.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

AP Poll:

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. Arkansas

4. Stanford

5. Oklahoma State

6. Virginia Tech

7. Boise State

8. Houston

9. Oregon

10. USC

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

Wow SEC West

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ahahaha.

It took literally about 15 minutes, for a money kicker to miss what should've been easy money for him.

Stunning, and this sets the stage for probably the worst Florida/Florida State game in decades. 7-4 vs. 6-5. Yippee.

Virginia wins 14-13 by the skin of their teeth against Florida State, when FSU's kicker missed a 43 yard field goal. This is the first time UVA has beaten FSU in Tallahassee.

WA HOO WA

Obama-Biden_Facepalm-550x368.jpg

Florida State doing what Florida State does: missing kicks since the '80s. (As a matter of fact, I propose a new term for losing games via missed kicks: "Florida Stating".)

Also, in regards to 'Bama...anyone who's followed the Iron Bowl should know that home field, records, talent, poll rankings, poisoned trees...ALL that stuff goes out the window when the Tigers and the Tide thrown down on the gridiron. I wouldn't put it past Auburn one single bit to dispatch of the Tide in their upcoming tilt. And if that does happen, well...I guess we'll just continue to see the chaos continue.

(Seriously, though...all opponents of a college football playoff can point to what's going on right now in this exact moment of the college football world as proof of their reasoning.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

(Seriously, though...all opponents of a college football playoff can point to what's going on right now in this exact moment of the college football world as proof of their reasoning.)

You could also make the argument that this chaos proves the contrary - because college football can be this unpredictable, how can we ever know for sure that who the BCS pollsters select as the best teams really are the best teams?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

You could also make the argument that this chaos proves the contrary - because college football can be this unpredictable, how can we ever know for sure that who the BCS pollsters select as the best teams really are the best teams?

and if we restrict the playoff participants to only conference champions (and I think you should), then we'd still maintain all of this current madness.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Under the current system, is it really any surprise that it's two SEC teams likely to be in the final?

Although I wouldn't be categorically opposed to a setup where the 11 conference champions get into a playoff system. Didn't win your conference? Sorry, no playoffs for you!

LvZYtbZ.png

Under the current system, is it really any surprise that it's two SEC teams likely to be in the final?

Although I wouldn't be categorically opposed to a setup where the 11 conference champions get into a playoff system. Didn't win your conference? Sorry, no playoffs for you!

A playoff with only 11 teams? How would the bracket look? I think you'd have to let a few at-large/wildcard teams in to bring it up to 14 or 16 teams.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Possible BCS matchups

*checks again*

Except for Arkansas to play in the SEC Championship game, Alabama needs to lose to Auburn.

I think you're also greatly discounting the human element greatly. If there is a 1 loss AQ conference champion sitting around (such as Virginia Tech or Oklahoma State, the human voters are going to put them at number 2. And honestly, they should.

Okay, even better...let's say LSU and Georgia play in the SECCG, and Georgia wins. I still think that sets up for LSU to still be in the National Championship game and who will deny them? They would be 12-1 with wins over Arky, Bama, Oregon, and West Virginia...with a lone loss in the conference championship game. Even harder to deny them if it's a really close game.

I'm not underestimating the human factor...I just don't see any way possible that a team like Virginia Tech makes the push to the No. 1 or 2 position in the BCS to play in that game. Stanford or Oklahoma State...MAY have a slight outside chance, but OSU will have to beat Oklahoma by 17+ and Stanford just absolutely annihilate Notre Dame.

Coaches have Virginia Tech at 4 and Harris has them at 5. And if Alabama can claim "we're undefeated in regulation", a one loss Virginia Tech team will be able to make the similar claim of "we've beaten every team we've played" (They will have a rematch against Clemson if they make the ACC Championship game.)

I definitely think you could see a definite amount of human rallying behind them, especially to balance out those durned computers.

Today, we are all otaku.

I have the bowls this way as of right now.

NCG: #1 LSU v #2 Alabama

Rose: #10 Oregon v #14 Michigan St

Fiesta: #4 Oklahoma St v #6 Stanford

Sugar: #9 Oklahoma v #8 Houston

Orange: #5 Virginia Tech v West Virginia

Boise State is actually close to an at-large bid at this point, because they're the only team left in the at-large pool after those taken. Also, I consider the five teams with two losses in the Big East to all be tied.

LvZYtbZ.png

BCS Rankings

#10 - Oregon

#9 - Oklahoma

#8 - Houston

#7 - Boise State

#6 - Stanford

#5 - Virginia Tech

#4 - Oklahoma State

#3 - Arkansas

#2 - Alabama

#1 - LSU

You know who is thanking their lucky stars? Oklahoma State. If the craziness spreads to the SEC West next week (LSU or Arkansas will lose next week, Alabama's got the wacky-ass Iron Bowl to deal with), they could be right back in the title game. Of course, they've gotta get through Bedlam, which is no walk in the park.

I've got a feeling things are gonna get funkier.

Archived