2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Good hire for the UofA!!

Per espn.com

Arizona hires Rich Rodriguez

Arizona has hired former West Virginia and Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez as its next football coach, as athletic director Greg Byrne made the news official with a photo posted on Twitter.

Posted to Byrne's Twitter page on Monday was an entry that read "And the new Arizona football coach and his family is......."

The post included a link that, when clicked, led to a photo of Rodriguez with his family.

Arizona (3-8, 2-7 Pac-12) fired Mike Stoops last month after struggling to a 1-5 start.

Rodriguez coached Michigan from 2008-2010 and West Virginia from 2001-2007. Rodriguez posted a 60-26 record at West Virginia, finishing first in the Big East four times.

Rodriguez was 15-22 at Michigan, including 6-18 in Big Ten play, before being dismissed.

During Rodriguez' tenure, the school acknowledged that it was guilty of four NCAA violations. It was put on three years of probation, though Rodriguez and the school avoided major penalties in part because the NCAA agreed that the coach didn't fail to promote an atmosphere and compliance in his program.

Rodriguez has been working as an analyst for CBS Sports this year, but had made it clear he wanted to get back into coaching as soon as possible.

Byrne fired Stoops on Oct. 10, two days after the Wildcats lost to Oregon State. The team was 1-5 at the time, with the only victory over FCS member Northern Arizona, and 10 straight losses to FBS schools.

Defensive coordinator Tim Kish took over as interim coach and the team won two Pac-12 games, over UCLA and last Saturday 31-27 over rival Arizona State. The Wildcats conclude their season Saturday at home against Louisiana-Lafayette.

Neuheisal, Erickson, Rodriguez, all we need is for Urban Meyer to be hired at WSU, and Leech to be hired by Oregon State, and Weiss to be hired by Cal, and our collection of coaching rejects will be complete.

Who has ever rejected Urban Meyer? You're an idiot.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Via my sister-in-law...

It is game day in Ann Arbor. An Ohio State fan walks into a bar with his dog and asks the bartender to watch the dog for him while he goes to the Game.

"No, I won't watch your dog," the bartender says.

"But this dog is special. He does tricks," replies the Buckeye fan.

"Oh yeah, like what?"

"Well he will sit on a barstool and watch the Game with everyone."

"Yeah, and..."

"And when Ohio State scores, he will walk up and down the bar on his front legs. When Michigan scores, he will walk up and down the bar on his hind legs."

The bartender is slightly impressed but still skeptical. "Oh, is that all?"

"No. If Ohio State wins, he will also jump on to the pool table and break dance for two straight minutes."

"And what if Michigan wins?"

"We don't know. He's only seven years old.

GO BUCKS!

BB52Big.jpg

Good hire for the UofA!!

Per espn.com

Arizona has hired former West Virginia and Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez as its next football coach, as athletic director Greg Byrne made the news official with a photo posted on Twitter.

Posted to Byrne's Twitter page on Monday was an entry that read "And the new Arizona football coach and his family is......."

The post included a link that, when clicked, led to a photo of Rodriguez with his family.

Arizona (3-8, 2-7 Pac-12) fired Mike Stoops last month after struggling to a 1-5 start.

Rodriguez coached Michigan from 2008-2010 and West Virginia from 2001-2007. Rodriguez posted a 60-26 record at West Virginia, finishing first in the Big East four times.

Rodriguez was 15-22 at Michigan, including 6-18 in Big Ten play, before being dismissed.

During Rodriguez' tenure, the school acknowledged that it was guilty of four NCAA violations. It was put on three years of probation, though Rodriguez and the school avoided major penalties in part because the NCAA agreed that the coach didn't fail to promote an atmosphere and compliance in his program.

Rodriguez has been working as an analyst for CBS Sports this year, but had made it clear he wanted to get back into coaching as soon as possible.

Byrne fired Stoops on Oct. 10, two days after the Wildcats lost to Oregon State. The team was 1-5 at the time, with the only victory over FCS member Northern Arizona, and 10 straight losses to FBS schools.

Defensive coordinator Tim Kish took over as interim coach and the team won two Pac-12 games, over UCLA and last Saturday 31-27 over rival Arizona State. The Wildcats conclude their season Saturday at home against Louisiana-Lafayette.

Neuheisal, Erickson, Rodriguez, all we need is for Urban Meyer to be hired at WSU, and Leech to be hired by Oregon State, and Weiss to be hired by Cal, and our collection of coaching rejects will be complete.

I meant more coaches who are trying to revive their careers, and failing. I'm projecting that Meyer will fail when he tries to revive his career. Plus, his last year at Florida was not exactly great. If he had stayed on the coaching staff, he would've eventually been fired (unless he somehow turned John Brantley into a good QB).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Good hire for the UofA!!

Per espn.com

I meant more coaches who are trying to revive their careers, and failing. I'm projecting that Meyer will fail when he tries to revive his career. Plus, his last year at Florida was not exactly great. If he had stayed on the coaching staff, he would've eventually been fired (unless he somehow turned John Brantley into a good QB).

He would not have been fired because of Brantley, Urban Meyer was a good coach and considering his last year (a rebuilding year) at Florida was his worst year, I'm not sure how you can say he would have eventually been fired.

Love this hire for the Wildcats. Rich-Rod's tactical style fits right in with the rest of the conference, he's going into a winnable division (the Pac-12 South is not exactly the SEC West or the Big XII South, here.) so he'll have a decent shot at winning the title, and best of all, he's not going somewhere where tradition lords over everything. Everybody pretty much knew that Rich-Rod was gonna be hardpressed to succeed in Ann Arbor because of the whole "Herp derp we want a Michigan man herp derp WTF is the spread offense" junk that he had to deal with from day one. Now, he gets a clean slate & a fresh start where he can mold a dormant program into something that could be good soon. Of course, this is all assuming that he avoids the NCAA coming to see about the program in the future, but if he can stay out of that drama, he could land on his feet with this job.

Good hire, Arizona.

When is Leach gonna get back into coaching, i really liked that guy!

Last I heard, he was singing the praises of Tulane.

Tulane. Of course, he hasn't had legit talks with them yet, but when that's the school that Leach is being associated with, then you can he might not land in the similar fashion in which Rich-Rod did.

A look back: Ohio State fans always hated Rich Rodriguez, but it was always for the wrong reason. They hated him because he was the head coach at Michigan, but they should've hated him because he blew OSU's shot at a second national championship under Tressell. In 07 undefeated and #1 West Virginia lost to a bad Pitt team at home in the last game of the season. OSU went to #1, LSU jumped to #2 and the rest is history. West Virginia would've been a far easier opponent for that Ohio State team. Instead they had to play LSU in what was basically a Tiger home game.

Rich-Rod's status as the coach of that team definitely affected the Mountaineers against Pitt and they lost focus in a game they easily should've won.

PvO6ZWJ.png

He would not have been fired because of Brantley, Urban Meyer was a good coach and considering his last year (a rebuilding year) at Florida was his worst year, I'm not sure how you can say he would have eventually been fired.

Are you REALLY surprised anymore when Spleen says really stupid things? It's like being surprised that the sky's blue.

Its spleenenator, do you really take anything he says seriously?

New Mexico made a run at him before they settled on Bob Davie, but Leach is obviously holding out for a BIG TIME school to come calling. Not sure when/where that'll be.

6uXNWAo.png

Last I heard, he was singing the praises of Tulane.

Tulane. Of course, he hasn't had legit talks with them yet, but when that's the school that Leach is being associated with, then you can he might not land in the similar fashion in which Rich-Rod did.

Tulane asked RichRod to give them a decision by Sunday and he didn't. Tulane should move quickly as they are trying to secure the rest of funding for an on-campus stadium.

Leach still has lawsuits pending against Texas Tech and ESPN, so that baggage is something a school have to consider seriously before offering him a contract.

Are you REALLY surprised anymore when Spleen says really stupid things? It's like being surprised that the sky's blue.

Yeah, Urban Meyer was not the best example. I was going to say Tyrone Willignham, but he obviously doesn't coach at UW anymore, so I just came up with Urban meyer (why I did, I have no idea).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

A look back: Ohio State fans always hated Rich Rodriguez, but it was always for the wrong reason. They hated him because he was the head coach at Michigan, but they should've hated him because he blew OSU's shot at a second national championship under Tressell. In 07 undefeated and #1 West Virginia lost to a bad Pitt team at home in the last game of the season. OSU went to #1, LSU jumped to #2 and the rest is history. West Virginia would've been a far easier opponent for that Ohio State team. Instead they had to play LSU in what was basically a Tiger home game.

Rich-Rod's status as the coach of that team definitely affected the Mountaineers against Pitt and they lost focus in a game they easily should've won.

He sure did. Ohio State would have demolished West Virginia that year. I was praying for West Virginia to finish that season at #1. And yes, I was as upset as any Mountaineers fan that they blew that game against Pitt. I won't lie, I wanted nothing to do with LSU. Especially if we had to play them in the Superdome. I knew there was no way we'd win that game. You can go back and look it up.

BB52Big.jpg

Florida fire the guy who won them more MNCs than Spurrier? Sit down and think about what you just wrote for awhile.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Ohio Bobcats beat archrival, the Miami Redracists, for the 6th straight time tonight. Feels pretty good.

Now hopefully they don't lay an egg in the MAC Championship game like their first two visits.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Ohio Bobcats beat archrival, the Miami Redracists, for the 6th straight time tonight. Feels pretty good.

Now hopefully they don't lay an egg in the MAC Championship game like their first two visits.

Indeed. I'm going to the game and unless Toledo gets the miracle they need to get there, I'm all in with your Bobcats.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived