2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

The Ohio Bobcats beat archrival, the Miami Redracists, for the 6th straight time tonight. Feels pretty good.

Now hopefully they don't lay an egg in the MAC Championship game like their first two visits.

Indeed. I'm going to the game and unless Toledo gets the miracle they need to get there, I'm all in with your Bobcats.

I was going to go, but I was not able to get off work so I will not see you there.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State would have demolished West Virginia that year.

That sounds like what people said Oklahoma would do to West Virginia, and we all know what happened.

Playing for the NC is completely different from playing for, well, nothing. To West Virginia that was a huge game. To win it would be a "signature" win for them. To the Sooners it was just another bowl game. Well that, and Oklahoma just sucks in BCS bowl games. B)

BB52Big.jpg

SBNation goes inside a week of Vanderbilt football.

Great article, here's my favorite part, concerning a hypothetical recruting pitch from James Franklin:

"When you?re sitting on your couch with your kids 20 years from now and you?re watching ESPN and there?s a "30 For 30" film on talking about the greatest turnaround of any football program in college football history, and you?re sitting there with your kids, and they?re talking about you, and they?re talking about me, and they?re talking about Vanderbilt? "

He stops suddenly, incredulous, as if the fable he?s spun is now too big for even him to process. He leans back, and pauses for a second, then stares right at me.

"You have a chance to do something that?s never been done in history. You can go to School X and be that other guy. Or you can come here with me and do something unique. And do something different. And do something that changes history."

I love what this guy is doing at Vandy. He may not succeed (dude, it's Vanderbilt), but the fact that he has the audacity to dream like that & pitch that dream to a kid and get them to buy into it like they have (at least for this season) is pretty admirable.

And beyond that, Gunner Kiel apparently visited Vandy a couple days ago.

I never thought I'd say this, but there is a real possibility that Vandy will be one of the better programs in the SEC soon.

Vanderbilt is well on their way to future success in the SEC...one of their football players is being charged with armed robbery.

And beyond that, Gunner Kiel apparently visited Vandy a couple days ago.

I never thought I'd say this, but there is a real possibility that Vandy will be one of the better programs in the SEC soon.

If he's considering Vandy there might still be hope for Indiana.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bowl Projections

Hyundai Sun Bowl

Pac-12 #4 vs. ACC #4

Washington vs. Wake Forest

AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic

Big 12 #2 vs. SEC #3

Kansas St. vs. South Carolina

Gator Bowl

SEC #6 vs. Big Ten #4

Vanderbilt vs. Penn St.

AutoZone Liberty Bowl

C-USA #1 vs. SEC #8

Southern Miss vs. Mississippi St.

Capital One Bowl

Big Ten #2 vs. SEC #2

Michigan vs. Georgia

Chick-fil-A Bowl

ACC #2 vs. SEC #5

Virginia vs. Florida

Advocare V100 Independence Bowl

ACC #7 vs. MWC #3

Miami (FL) vs. Wyoming

Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl

Big 12 #5 vs. Pac-12 #3

Missouri vs. UCLA

Outback Bowl

Big Ten #3 vs. SEC #4

Wisconsin vs. Auburn

Insight Bowl

Big 12 #4 vs. Big Ten #5

Baylor vs. Nebraska

Champs Sports Bowl

ACC #3 vs. Big East #2 or Notre Dame

Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame

Maaco Bowl Las Vegas

MWC #1 vs. Pac-12 #5

TCU vs. Arizona St.

Valero Alamo Bowl

Big 12 #3 vs. Pac-12 #2

Oklahoma vs. Stanford

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

WAC #2 vs. MAC #3

Nevada vs. Toledo

Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

Big Ten #8 vs. MAC #2

Purdue vs. Northern Illinois

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl

ACC #6 vs. SEC #7

NC State vs. Tennessee

GoDaddy.com Bowl

Sun Belt #2 vs. MAC #1

Arkansas St. vs. Ohio

Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas

Big 12 #6 vs. Big Ten #6

Texas A&M vs. Iowa

New Mexico Bowl

MWC #5 vs. Pac-12 #7

San Diego St. vs. Cal

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

C-USA #4 vs. Sun Belt #1

Marshall vs. UL-Lafayette

Belk Bowl

ACC #5 vs. Big East #3

Florida St. vs. Louisville

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Pac-12 #6 vs. Army or WAC

Utah vs. Utah St.

Sheraton Hawaiʻi Bowl

C-USA #1 vs. WAC #3 or Hawaii

Tulsa vs. Hawaii

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl

C-USA #3 vs. MWC #4 or BYU

East Carolina vs. BYU

SDCCU Poinsettia Bowl

MWC #2 vs. WAC #1

Boise St. vs. Louisiana Tech

BBVA Compass Bowl

Big East #5 vs. SEC #9 or Sun Belt

Cincinnati vs. Western Kentucky

Military Bowl

ACC #8 vs. Navy or MAC #4

North Carolina vs. Temple

Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl

Big East #6 vs. C-USA #5

Pittsburgh vs. UTEP

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Big East #4 vs. Big 12 #7

Rutgers vs. Texas

TicketCity Bowl

Big Ten #7 vs. C-USA #2

Northwestern vs. SMU

Rose Bowl

Pac-12 #1 vs. Big Ten #1

Oregon vs. Michigan St.

Discover Orange Bowl

ACC #1 vs. Big East

Clemson vs. West Virginia

Allstate Sugar Bowl

SEC #1 vs. At-Large

Alabama vs. Houston

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Big 12 #1 vs. At-Large

Oklahoma St. vs. Arkansas

BCS Championship Game

BCS #1 vs. BCS #2

LSU vs. Virginia Tech

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Miami has already taken themselves out of consideration for a bowl.

That plus UL-Lafayette accepted the New Orleans Bowl bid two days ago.

Currently, there are 64 teams bowl eligible with 18 more who can become bowl eligible in the next two weeks. 30 teams are still eligible to participate in a BCS game.

The Big Ten has eight bowl tie-ins, including the BCS/Rose Bowl, but already has ten eligible teams. Penn State could the the team left out if they fail to win the Leaders Division as bowls are privately saying they they really don't want them this year.

The MAC already has more eligible teams for the tie-ins they possess.

That plus UL-Lafayette accepted the New Orleans Bowl bid two days ago.

Currently, there are 64 teams bowl eligible with 18 more who can become bowl eligible in the next two weeks. 30 teams are still eligible to participate in a BCS game.

The Big Ten has eight bowl tie-ins, including the BCS/Rose Bowl, but already has ten eligible teams. Penn State could the the team left out if they fail to win the Leaders Division as bowls are privately saying they they really don't want them this year.

The MAC already has more eligible teams for the tie-ins they possess.

fixed the Sun Belt bowl issue...i couldn't find a list of teams who accepted bowl bids

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

What was I thinking? That's probably what the Buckeyes will do. No way Ohio State goes to a bowl.

Its the right thing for them to do, and they can get Urban Meyer in their faster that way.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What was I thinking? That's probably what the Buckeyes will do. No way Ohio State goes to a bowl.

Its the right thing for them to do, and they can get Urban Meyer in their faster that way.

I suspect they want the practice time more. The only reason Miami opted for the self-imposed postseason ban was because they were facing going to some P.O.S. Bowl game in the middle of nowhere. Ohio State isn't confronting the Pizza Bowl yet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I suspect they want the practice time more. The only reason Miami opted for the self-imposed postseason ban was because they were facing going to some P.O.S. Bowl game in the middle of nowhere. Ohio State isn't confronting the Pizza Bowl yet.

I can see the Buckeyes taking themselves out of bowl consideration. They're falling on every sword they can find to try to lighten the NCAA sanctions that are surely coming.

BB52Big.jpg

It's the day after Thanksgiving, and the reality of no more Colorado vs. Nebraska is now sinking in.

Welcome to the NCAA (National Corrupt A-Holes of America) where college football rivalries go to die. Happy Holidays everyone :P

No kidding! It's the weirdest thing for me personally to realize that Utah-BYU is already in the books for this year. Yeah, the game was still played, but it just didn't have the same prestige and hype to it as it usually does because unlike seemingly every year, there was absolutely nothing to gain from it but a simple "W". No bowl bids, no conference titles, nothing.

The last week of the season just doesn't matter so much to me anymore.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived