2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Do Conference championships and bowl games count towards season stats? If so Montee Ball very well could break the single season record for TD's.

They do count. At some point, it changed and records like this started counting bowls...so Ball could break the record, but it would be asterisk-worthy, as not only did Sanders have no conference championship game (and I would guess only an 11-game schedule), but his 39 TDs do not include five he had in the bowl game.

Nevertheless, I think it would be hard to accuse me of too much homerism to suggest that Ball's name ought to get a little Heisman talk.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Conference championships and bowl games count towards season stats? If so Montee Ball very well could break the single season record for TD's.

They do count. At some point, it changed and records like this started counting bowls...so Ball could break the record, but it would be asterisk-worthy, as not only did Sanders have no conference championship game (and I would guess only an 11-game schedule), but his 39 TDs do not include five he had in the bowl game.

Nevertheless, I think it would be hard to accuse me of too much homerism to suggest that Ball's name ought to get a little Heisman talk.

To be fair to Ball, he's been pulled out for the 4th quarter in every game that's been a blowout this season.

I really think Ball's name should be at the top of Heisman lists this season. I just don't know how the guy that is on the verge of breaking the single-season touchdown mark could be out of the Heisman picture. He has proven to be one of the top two backs in college football this season and at least deserves the chance to go to New York

Today I skipped into a game that said Russell Wilson was two Hail Marys away from being in Heisman contention. That statement alone showed how little this award meant to individual performance. How are Russell Wilson's accomplishments diminished by the fact that his defense gave up two last second touchdowns? That statement alone should prove how little this has to do with individual performance and how much the award has to do with overall team perfmance.

AnythingChicago Standings:

1. LSU (12-0)

2. Houston (12-0)

3. Alabama (11-1)

4. Virginia Tech (11-1)

5. Oklahoma State (10-1)

6. Stanford (11-1)

7. Boise State (11-1)

8. USC (10-2)

9. South Carolina (10-2)

10. Oklahoma (10-2)

11. Oregon (10-2)

12. Georgia (10-2)

13. Wisconsin (10-2)

14. Michigan State (10-2)

15. Michigan (10-2)

16. Arkansas (10-2)

17. Kansas State (9-2)

18. TCU (9-2)

19. Baylor (8-3)

20. Nebraska (9-3)

21. Penn State (9-3)

22. Clemson (9-3)

23. West Virginia (9-3)

24. Texas (7-4)

25. Georgia Tech (8-4)

Others receiving votes: Florida State, Virginia, Cincinnati, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Arkansas State

AnythingChicago Bowl Projections:

Allstate BCS National Championship Game: LSU vs. Houston

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Alabama

Allstate Sugar Bowl: Michigan vs. Stanford

Discover Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Louisville

1. LSU (12-0)

2. Houston (12-0)

3. Alabama (11-1)

Might as well just go ahead and give it to LSU, I'm gonna disagree with you and project the rematch of Bama-LSU B)

For the love of God please grant USC a stay on their postseason ban until next year in order to salvage some dignity in the Pac 12 Title Game.

The Pac-12 is thinking the same thing because Oregon is going to destroy the Bruins and the people who will be watching will change the channel by halftime.

so rams80, tell me how many other "down" conferences have FIVE 10-win teams?

How many "up" Conferences have 6 teams with 6 wins or fewer? Or framed in another way: 6 teams with 3-5 Conference records or worse?

It's a lot easier to get to 10 wins when large swaths of your Conference schedule amounts to body bag games. And the 10 win teams in the opposite divisions don't play each other-Georgia didn't play any of the top 3 SEC West schools and South Carolina only played Arkansas.

1. LSU (12-0)

2. Houston (12-0)

3. Alabama (11-1)

Might as well just go ahead and give it to LSU, I'm gonna disagree with you and project the rematch of Bama-LSU B)

Alabama had their chance, and they lost 9-6. The only case in which they should get a rematch against LSU is if Houston loses in the C-USA Chamionship Game. Houston is 12-0. They are one of only 2 teams to do so. So why should they get gipped of a chance to play for the title? What could they have done better to constitute a BCS championship chance? Nothing. Which is why they should get the chance over an Alabama team that already lost to LSU.

What could they have done better to constitute a BCS championship chance?

Schedule tougher opponents. Sorry, but since the SOS argument has been used against far-superior undefeated Boise State, TCU, and Utah teams over the years, it also has to be applied to this year's Houston team.

The BCS Championship game is setup for the TWO BEST TEAMS in the nation to face off. It isn't for the team's with the best record or the undefeated teams or the team with the single best player.

So Houston can whine all day long but absolutely doesn't deserve a shot at the NCG because they aren't one of the 2 best teams in the nation. They were just better than 11 pitiful teams this season.

Ron Zook Fired at Illinois

I'm actually kind of surprised that it came so fast, but I'm glad that got it out of the away before a bowl game. Oh, and the fact that this team is probably heading to a bowl game proves there's something wrong with college football's postseason. It will be interesting what direction they go in but whoever it is can't be a worse in-game coach than Zook.

These are all good points, and I know the that Houston won't get the chance to play in the National Title game in reality. But I still think they should get the chance against LSU.

But all this is saying is that we need a playoff system desperately....

The BCS Championship game is setup for the TWO BEST TEAMS in the nation to face off. It isn't for the team's with the best record or the undefeated teams or the team with the single best player.

So Houston can whine all day long but absolutely doesn't deserve a shot at the NCG because they aren't one of the 2 best teams in the nation. They were just better than 11 pitiful teams this season.

So then why play the regular season? College football's system sucks.

OK here's the problem with that theory: 120 teams playing 12-13 games each does not provide nearly the necessary sample size to determine who is the best. (Hence the need for a playoff) Schedules are too dissimilar and teams play too few games out of conference to get a good bearing. So that's why we can't just simply say Alabama and LSU are the best this season because they looked awesome against the rest of their Conference and had a close game together.

Failing all that, though, the BCS Championship game should really not be a rematch. And certainly not a rematch between two Conference foes.

Archived