2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Just thought I'd throw this on the NCG fire. I'm not taking a side, I'm just throwing this out there.

From SI:

However, if this were the NCAA basketball tournament, where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

? Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

? Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

? Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

? Conference titles: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

? Losses to Iowa State: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/27/bcs-sec-voters-rematch/index.html#ixzz1f70076AE

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd throw this on the NCG fire. I'm not taking a side, I'm just throwing this out there.

From SI:

However, if this were the NCAA basketball tournament, where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/27/bcs-sec-voters-rematch/index.html#ixzz1f70076AE

A-freaking-men. If OSU beats OU by more than 2 touchdowns, they should be in the championship game. Like it or not, the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation, and OSU is about to win it. The bottom 7 SEC teams are horrible. Only Texas Tech is bad in the Big 12, and they beat OU.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

From SI:

However, if this were the NCAA basketball tournament,

where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

Read more:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/27/bcs-sec-voters-rematch/index.html#ixzz1f70076AE

A-freaking-men. If OSU beats OU by more than 2 touchdowns, they should be in the championship game.

Like it or not, the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation, and OSU is about to win it. The bottom 7 SEC teams are horrible. Only Texas Tech is bad in the Big 12, and they beat OU.

You are forgetting Kansas and how bad they are.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

From SI:

The body of work argument does not apply to the SEC. You know better 'red. :P

Hey now, there's some of us that are logical and understand it boils down to strength of schedule and big wins. If you talk to most LSU fans, they don't want a rematch because LSU beat Alabama already in Tuscaloosa. It wasn't a game back in September, it was a game less than a month ago and I highly doubt Alabama has changed that much to where they can even claim they should have a rematch. If Oklahoma State wins and LSU wins on Saturday, then that's your National Championship game.

From SI:

• Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

• Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

• Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

• Conference titles: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

• Losses to Iowa State: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

A-freaking-men. If OSU beats OU by more than 2 touchdowns, they should be in the championship game. Like it or not, the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation, and OSU is about to win it. The bottom 7 SEC teams are horrible. Only Texas Tech is bad in the Big 12, and they beat OU.

Where is your source for claiming the Big 12 is the best conference in football? Because numerous sports news outlets all say otherwise.

Outside of their conference, who has the Big 12 beat? Okie Light beat Arizona, La-La, and Tulsa...nothing impressive. TAMU? Again, nothing impressive and they lost to Arkansas. Baylor won a shootout in the first game of the season against TCU for their signature win. Texas has beat no one of significance OOC. K-State beat...Miami. The best win outside the Big 12 is Oklahoma's against FSU...but we now know that wasn't even worth much. I think the only ranked OOC opponent that a team in the Big 12 beat is TCU.

The SEC has OOC victories over Georgia Tech, Clemson, Oregon, Penn State, and West Virginia...and Texas A&M.

The Big 12 conference, to me, is just like it has been of lately- tons of offense but no defense and it shows when they go outside of their conference. Hell, OSU is giving up almost 30 points a game! That is a disgrace.

What is funny to me is that people will try to eliminate the Top 4 teams in the SEC and say the conference isn't legit. Get rid of the Top 2 in the Big 12 and do you think Baylor is holding that conference up?

Again, I am pulling for Oklahoma State to crush Oklahoma this weekend (prob like 63-45) so they can jump Alabama and get their shot. They just need to be careful what they wish for.

From SI:

However, if this were the NCAA basketball tournament,

where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

Read more:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/27/bcs-sec-voters-rematch/index.html#ixzz1f70076AE

A-freaking-men. If OSU beats OU by more than 2 touchdowns, they should be in the championship game.

Like it or not, the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation, and OSU is about to win it. The bottom 7 SEC teams are horrible. Only Texas Tech is bad in the Big 12, and they beat OU.

You are forgetting Kansas and how bad they are.

Kansas does not count as a division 1 team B)

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

From SI:

The "losses to Iowa State" part is ridiculous, but seeing these stats changes your thoughts if you previously wanted a rematch

Where is your source for claiming the Big 12 is the best conference in football? Because numerous sports news outlets all say otherwise.

Outside of their conference, who has the Big 12 beat? Okie Light beat Arizona, La-La, and Tulsa...nothing impressive. TAMU? Again, nothing impressive and they lost to Arkansas. Baylor won a shootout in the first game of the season against TCU for their signature win. Texas has beat no one of significance OOC. K-State beat...Miami. The best win outside the Big 12 is Oklahoma's against FSU...but we now know that wasn't even worth much. I think the only ranked OOC opponent that a team in the Big 12 beat is TCU.

The SEC has OOC victories over Georgia Tech, Clemson, Oregon, Penn State, and West Virginia...and Texas A&M.

The Big 12 conference, to me, is just like it has been of lately- tons of offense but no defense and it shows when they go outside of their conference. Hell, OSU is giving up almost 30 points a game! That is a disgrace.

What is funny to me is that people will try to eliminate the Top 4 teams in the SEC and say the conference isn't legit. Get rid of the Top 2 in the Big 12 and do you think Baylor is holding that conference up?

Again, I am pulling for Oklahoma State to crush Oklahoma this weekend (prob like 63-45) so they can jump Alabama and get their shot. They just need to be careful what they wish for.

Thank you for this.

Too bad you'll be called an SEC homer now.

Nevermind, I looked it up myself.

I'm not really sure what the computers base it off of though. Is it teams in the Top 25, records, or what?

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 BIG 12 (A) = 84.89 84.01 ( 1) 10 84.32 ( 1)

2 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 80.21 80.87 ( 2) 12 80.57 ( 2)

I'd say based off that, both conferences are pretty well matched.

The BCS computers (which are the closest thing to objective rankings we have) have liked the Big 12 more than the SEC for much of the season. That's why they're better.

I thought the BCS, computers included, was a terrible system that needs to be torn down and replaced with a playoff as soon as possible :P

Of course... but within the bounds of the system we currently have, the computer rankings are the only rankings that even slightly resemble objectivity. The human voters are all too happy to overrate half the SEC because of ESS EEE SEE DOMINANCE Y'ALL, while the computers actually recognize the fact that the Big 12 is better this year.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Conference rating according to GBE

1 Big XII 1105.7

2 SEC 1097.7

3 Big Ten 971.7

4 Big East 925.6

5 Pac-12 914.8

6 ACC 904.9

7 1A Independents 833.8

8 Conference USA 759.9

9 Mid-American 722.5

10 Mountain West 714.9

11 WAC 672.2

12 Sun Belt 627.7

These ratings are based purely of strength of schedule.

As for title picture

Alabama: 1584.3

Oklahoma State: 1654.7

This is the formula for the ratings

x=w/(w+l)

w=(home wins*.95)+(road wins*1.05)+(neutral wins*1)

l=(home losses*1.05)+(road losses*.95)+(neutral losses*1)

home wins count as .95

road wins count as 1.05

home losses count as 1.05

road losses count as .95

neutral wins count as 1

neutral losses count as 1

and

y=(2/o)+(1/q)

o=opponents' win %

q=opponents' opponents' win %

They are then multiplied by 1000

or just go here: http://www.gberatings.com/about/

Anyway, I think this provides some statistical data for anyone's argument.

In terms of strength of schedule, and strength of conference, OSU is ahead of bama. Plus

Funny how a simple side-by-side comparison of Oklahoma State and Alabama's schedules has turned into yet another "SEC vs. the world" debate; just be sure not to confuse it for being an SEC homer. B)

Anyway, if "body of work" matters, then I think Oklahoma State has a case.

Also, is it just me, or is the SEC this year's Boise State in this thread? Last year everyone turned on Boise State. This year it seems like the SEC hate has reached a new level. Who will it be next season?

BB52Big.jpg

Hopefully Oklahoma State doesn't lose on Saturday, then what will you guys say?

I've always found the "my conference is better than your conference" debate asinine. Since most teams play the same amount of conference games, your best team should reflect your worst team in your conference and so on. The Big XII is a good conference, but what justifies them being better than the SEC. The same question can be asked to the SEC.

I would say this year has been a down year for both conferences. I don't feel as though I need to talk about the SEC because it's evident where they're playing sub-par, but the Big XII has been down as well. Oklahoma came in Ranked #1 and for most of the preseason there was talk about how they were strong on all three sides of the ball, they turned out to be overrated. A&M was overrated. Imagine if those two teams performed to how they were expected. But that really doesn't have to do with the argument of Alabama vs. Oklahoma State.

In that case, you're comparing the best team in the Big XII to the second best team in the SEC. My answer to that in the terms of conference argument is there's a reason I've said it before and I'll say it again, IF Oklahoma State plays the way they've played all year (except for the game against Iowa State) then they will jump Alabama. Oklahoma State has a great resume against ranked teams, but that loss against Iowa State really does hurt them. Even Mike Guny agrees. Even the computers, where people keep saying Oklahoma State is #2, actually have Alabama at #2.

Saturday is a real test for them because it's the best team they've played all year. While Oklahoma State's average points this year is about 50, they give up just about 30 and I think Oklahoma (43 ppg) might capitalize on that.

Also, is it just me, or is the SEC this year's Boise State in this thread? Last year everyone turned on Boise State. This year it seems like the SEC hate has reached a new level. Who will it be next season?

It's kind of like how if you were to eat a chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A because it is the best thing ever and nothing compares. However, if you were to eat it every day you would get a tad tired of it. Then, when it is rammed down your throat over and over...you really start to hate it. You find any and all reasons to eat something else.

But damn...you know it sure is good and there is no chicken sandwich like it. :P

Well, I think this bit should just about destroy the notion that Alabama wins schedule strength.

SOS Ratings:

OSU: #10

LSU: #17

Boise: #31

Alabama: #38

http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

Yes. Alabama plays a worse schedule than Boise. Case, closed.

It's kind of like how if you were to eat a chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A because it is the best thing ever and nothing compares. However, if you were to eat it every day you would get a tad tired of it. Then, when it is rammed down your throat over and over...you really start to hate it. You find any and all reasons to eat something else.

But damn...you know it sure is good and there is no chicken sandwich like it. :P

I'm not from the south, but I have been to a chik-fil-a in florida. I have to say, it's good, but not great. I've had better.

Archived